Saturday, May 20, 2023

Chestnut-Sided Warbler

We were in New York City visiting our son and his girlfriend over the Mother's Day weekend and my son suggested I do a three hour bird walk in Central Park with Birding Bob. Judy came along with me, meeting in the northeast side of the park near the North Woods. Deborah Allen was substituting for Birding Bob. We paid a modest $10.00 each and joined about 30 other people. It was a particularly good day for migrating warblers. 


One of the warblers I saw was the chestnut-sided warbler, a bird I'd never heard of before. It was a male and gorgeous. It has a white face and black eyestripe that goes down the neck, like the stripe on a peregrine falcon. It has a yellow cap, white underparts with chestnut flanks and black wings streaked with white wing bars and some yellow. Females and non-breeding males look different, but I'll save that for another day when I see them. 



They breed in eastern North America and southern Canada west to the prairies. They winter in Central America and northern Colombia in South America. 
Chestnut-sided warbler range from Wikipedia.

1 comment: