Sunday, May 21, 2023

Black-Throated Green Warbler

In the North Woods of Central Park in New York City, taking part in Birding Bob's Friday morning bird walk, I saw a number of warblers I've not seen before, including the black-throated green warbler. 
It breeds in portions of Canada and along portions of the east coast of the U.S. and winters in portions of eastern Mexico, Central America, northern South America and portions of the Caribbean. 
Black-throated green warbler range from Wikipedia. 
The most distinctive pattern on males is a black chin, throat and upper breast with black streaking on the sides. The belly is white and the back is green. In my photos, the belly looks yellow and what I have of the back looks yellow. However, I think the throat is definitive and two identifiers on iNaturalist have confirmed its identity. 


I didn't realize I'd photographed this warbler until I worked on my photos. I keep hearing one of the birders in our large group shouting out, "black throated green, black throated green." I wash wishing I could see one. Fortunately, I did. 

1 comment:

  1. I remember that young man shouting that out. He was really excited! I'm surprised we didn't see one in Colombia. Maybe it was the wrong season, or maybe we just didn't look for birds in Cartagena, where it looks like it can be found.

    ReplyDelete