Sunday, September 23, 2018

Shaw's Landing - West Dover, Nova Scotia

The day after eating at Beal's Lobster Pier in Southwest Harbor, Maine, the best lobster I've ever eaten, we landed in Nova Scotia and were taken by our guide to Shaw's Landing, a restaurant in West Dover, just outside Peggy's Cove. Our guide seemed pretty confident that he was leading us to one of the gems of the island. I do find an article calling it a "hidden gem" and Trip Advisor gives it 4.5 stars. However, we'd just been to Beal's Lobster Pier the day before and had eaten the best lobster I've had in my life. So paraphrasing Senator Lloyd Bentsen speaking to Dan Quayle in a vice president debate, when he said, "you are no Jack Kennedy," Shaw's Landing "is no Beal's Lobster Pier." 
Shaw's Landing is a little gimmicky. 


It is definitely not the best food in the Maritimes (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island). 
After all of the raving about the great lobster the day before, everyone (nine of us) got lobster at Shaw's Landing. And well, you know the rest: it was over-cooked and dry. Normally I'm pretty thrilled to be eating lobster, but this was my fourth straight day of eating lobster and I wasn't impressed. Neither was anyone else in the family. 
I ordered fried clam fries and I was no more impressed with them than I was the fried clams in Moncton, in fact less so. 
I also ordered a half dozen oysters on the half shell. They were okay, but they were not cold, in fact they were kind of luke warm, and I love them when they come out cold on ice. 
So Shaw's Landing did not do it for me that day and there was general agreement among our group of nine that we'd all had a mediocre meal (it is almost unbelievable to me that I can have lobster, clams and raw oysters for a meal and call it mediocre). 

1 comment:

  1. In addition, service could have been a lot better. It seemed like they weren't set up for medium-sized groups of ten like ours. Not impressed.

    ReplyDelete