Sunday, August 9, 2026

Yellow-Shouldered Grassquit

On February 18, 2023 we were on a genealogical trip in Jamaica searching for information about my third great grandfather, a captain of a ship in the slave trade in the 1790s. We were with my cousin, Chad Cannon, and spent time in various places about the island that my ancestor had visited. As part of our visit I engaged Lyndon Johnson of Arrowhead Birding to see some of the birds of Jamaica, many of which are endemic to the island. We started at Hotel Mockingbird Hill in Drapers and then drove back to Kingston through the rugged Blue Mountains. While there Lyndon pointed out a yellow-shouldered grassquit, one of the species endemic to Jamaica. Unfortunately, I was not able to get a photo of it. At this point, I don't even remember if it was a female or a male. 
Illustration of a female from Birds of the World. 

Illustration of a male from Birds of the World.

Range from Birds of the World (the arrow pointing to Jamaica).

No comments:

Post a Comment