Monday, August 10, 2026

Black-Headed Saltator

I did a post on the black-headed saltator months ago and somehow it got written over. In fact, when I google "cannundrums black-headed saltator," it brings up my post on the indigo bunting on April 14, 2026. Like the indigo bunting, I was with Judy in Tikal NP in northern Guatemala with a guide, Rony. He was represented to us as the best bird guide in northern Guatemala, and he was amazing at finding them. However, a number of his observations were off. That is, he identified the bird as one thing, and when I got home and posted my photo on iNaturalist, it was suggested as something else and then that something else was reconfirmed by other identifiers. In this case he identified the bird as a green jay.
Only this photo is halfway decent, the rest below are just bits and pieces. 




   
Illustration from Birds of the World.

Green Jay, ssp. yncas, from Birds of the World. It is a different ssp. than the ones in Tikal, NP, but it gives a general description. The black-headed saltator and green jay do look quite similar. 

Illustration from Birds of the World.

No comments:

Post a Comment