Thursday, March 6, 2014

Eggslut - Los Angeles

We were in Los Angeles for brunch to celebrate Andrew's birthday and went to the newly remodeled Grand Central Market to find something. One restaurant had a long line and a long wait and Andrew decided that was the one he wanted to try (when you see people voting on a good restaurant by their willingness to wait, you assume it has something worthwhile to offer).

I was a little surprised to find the name of the restaurant was "Eggslut." The owner says eggslut is a foodie designation meaning "someone who loves eggs so much, they can eat them all day, all night, wet, hard, coddled, easy and with everything." It originally started as a food truck and has now added this stationary location. It gets four stars on Yelp with 184 reviews. 
Eggslut: I kid you not.
There were only four items on the menu. Andrew and Judy both got the bacon, egg and cheese sandwich, which included hardwood smoked bacon, an over medium organic egg, cheddar cheese and chipotle ketchup in a brioche bun. 
Bacon, egg and cheese sandwich.
I considered the "Fairfax," soft scrambled organic eggs, chives, cheddar cheese, caramelized onions and Sriracha mayo in a brioche bun, but ultimately decided to try the "Slut," a coddled organic egg on top of a smooth potato puree, poached in a glass jar and served with a toasty crostini. I must admit I felt a little weird ordering a "slut" for breakfast, but was able to do so with a relatively straight face. 
The "slut".

Andrew's and Judy's sandwiches were pretty good, except I didn't like the chipotle ketchup on it. It gets rave reviews on-line, but for me it was okay. My "slut" was not as good and not worth the $9.00 price. The egg mixed in with the potato mixture was a weird blend, rather bland, a weird texture and not something I would order again. People were lining up, waiting 30 minutes or more to order and eat. It was fun to try, but not worth the wait. The "slut" is not worth the price even without the wait. In retrospect, it was fun to try and very different from any place I've eaten before, but one "slut" was enough, I'm ready for different fare. 
We also got a chocolate chip cookie. It was so-so. 

2 comments:

  1. I think the name is part of their creative marketing plan. The location is great, the look is very hip, and the name is certainly a hipster magnet. My sandwich was delicious, and I WOULD wait for one again. You are right about the cookie, however. It was definitely so-so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, it's being credited to "creativity?" So maybe a steakhouse called Meatwhore would be cool to?

    ReplyDelete