Wednesday, February 10, 2010

EQC: German Mission - Bernburg (May to August 1909)

After 7 months in Tilsit, 3 months in Konigsberg, 5 ½ months in Leipzig, 1 ½ months in Magdeburg and 2 ½ months in Dessau, Edwin Q. Cannon was transferred to Bernburg, part of the Province of Saxony in the Kingdom of Prussia. Ed worked in Bernburg for about 2 ½ months until he was called to Frankfurt to be the Frankfurt Conference president.

On May 12th, Brother Friederick was imprisoned in Magdeburg. Although Ed was in Dessau, he went with President McKay, the mission president, and Brother Felt, the Leipzig Conference president, to Magdeburg to speak to the U.S. Consul there. Right after, Ed was transferred to Bernburg and so, apparently, was Brother Friederick, at least for a few days. Each day but one, from May 24 to June 2, Ed spent time with Brother Friederick in Bernburg. On May 30, Brother Tonks arrived in Bernburg to “take up his labors” there and it appears that Ed and Brother Tonks were companions, or at least worked regularly together.

On June 14th, Ed and Brother Felt went back in to Magdeburg to meet with the U.S. Consul and give him letters relating to Brother Friederick’s “banishment.” On June 28th, Ed went back to Magdeburg to meet with the U.S. Consul. “The Vice-Consul told me that he is afraid we will be unable to get any freedom in Magdeburg until the law against our church is repealed.”

On May 27th, Ed and Brother Friederick took two sisters “boat riding to find a good place to baptize. Then we all spent the rest of the afternoon at a park on the river.” On June 1st, Ed and Brother Tonks baptized six people. Brother Tonks baptized another person on June 17th.

A large conference was held in Chemnitz from August 7th to 9th. All “elders of the Leipzig and Dresden Conferences” were there, as were “the Conference Presidents of the Konigsberg, Hamburg, Berlin, Leipzing, Dresden, Frankfurt, Zurich, Bern and Breslau Conferences and five new men from home.” On August 8th, Ed was “invited to attend the meeting of the Conference Presidents” and President McKay informed him “he was going to put me in Conference President but he didn’t tell me of what conference.” On August 9th, Ed was informed he would be President of the Frankfurt Conference, the same conference President McKay was president of when he was a missionary years earlier.

May 24, 1909 (Monday): (Bernburg)

I spent the forenoon here at home with Bro. Friederick writing. This afternoon we went to hunt me a “Wohnung” and I rented one in Stein Str. 32 bei Eisfaldt. Bro. Friederick and I took a walk this evening.

May 25, 1909 (Tuesday): (Bernburg)

 spent the forenoon at home studying and at the Bath. This afternoon Bro. Friederick and I visited a friend with Frau Pfeiffer. We held Bible Class this evening.

May 26, 1909 (Wednesday): (Bernburg)

I moved my things to my new room this morning. This afternoon Bro. Friederick and I visited 3 families of friends and Sister Schlotte. This evening we visited another friend.

May 27, 1909 (Thursday): (Bernburg)

I spent the forenoon at home writing letters. This afternoon Bro. Friederick and I took the two Sister Schlotte and Fraulein Appel boat riding to find a good place to baptize. Then we all spent the rest of the afternoon at a park on the river. We ate supper at Schlottes’ then went walking in the evening.

May 28, 1909 (Friday): (Bernburg)

I spent forenoon at home writing. This afternoon Bro. Friederick and I went walking. We visited Herrn Appel this evening.

May 29, 1909 (Saturday): (Bernburg)

Bro. Friederick and I went to the bath this morning. This afternoon we visited to families of saints and a family of friends. We visited a family of friends this evening.

May 30, 1909 (Sunday): (Bernburg)

Today being “Pfingston” there were no meetings so part of the gemeinde took a boat ride on the Saale. We left at 9:30 A.M and got back at 9 P.M. We rowed clear up to Wirschleben. Every one had a very enjoyable time. Bro. Tonks arrived here this evening. He will take up his labors here in Bernburg.

May 31, 1909 (Monday): (Bernburg)

I spent the forenoon at home studying. This afternoon Bros. Friederick and Tonks and I went out to the “Felsen Keller” with Bro. and Sister Femel. After returning we all ate supper at the Hohenzellern.

June 1, 1909 (Tuesday): (Bernburg)

Bro. Tonks came over this morning and we spent the forenoon at home. Shortly before dinner we went bathing. I spent the afternoon at home and this evening went to Bible Class. We baptized six people after the Bible Class. Confirmed Bro. Schwarz and Sister Charlotte Appel.

June 2, 1909 (Wednesday): (Bernburg)

Bro. Friederick and I visited five families of Saints and two families of friends today. We ate dinner at Sister Appel’s. This evening we all went out to the “Schutzen Fest” for the evening.

June 3, 1909 (Thursday): (Bernburg)

This morning I had a good gospel conversation with Frau Eisfeldt. I spent the forenoon at home writing, this afternoon and evening Bro. Tonks and I visited Sister Schlote. This afternoon we ate “Dickemilch” and ate supper this evening. This afternoon while paying the rent I had a good gospel conversation with the “Wirt.”

June 4, 1909 (Friday): (Bernburg)

I spent the forenoon at home writing. This afternoon I took a walk and this evening Bro. Tonks and I visited Sister Schwarz.

June 5, 1909 (Saturday): (Bernburg)

Bro. Tonks and I went bathing this forenoon. Right after dinner I received a telegram from Merle Taylor saying that he would be up this evening. Bro. Tonks and I visited Schlote’s this afternoon, it being one of the boys’ birthdays. We met Bro. Taylor at 7:30 and we all went walking this evening.

June 6, 1909 (Sunday): (Bernburg)

Merle Taylor, Bro. Tonks and I went walking this forenoon. We all went to Sunday School this afternoon and as soon as it was out we went to Bro. Schlote’s for dinner. Then we all went boating until 6:30 P.M and went to meeting. It being fast day we held testimony meeting this evening.

June 7, 1909 (Monday): (Bernburg, Leipzig)

Bro. Taylor and I went to Halle this morning as we were leaving the depot in Halle to go into town. We met Sister Femel and went to her home with her and stayed until after dinner. This afternoon we took “Droschley” ride through the then went to the Zoo. This evening we went to the Saale Schloss Brauerei Park where they had fireworks. We came to Leipzig on a late train.

June 8, 1909 (Tuesday): (Leipzig)

We went to the office quite early this morning and met Bro. Smith from the Dresden Conf. who has been released then with Bro. Hiller we went out to the Lindenthaler Parade ground to see the King of Saxony review the troops which are stationed in Leipzig. The King arrived at about noon and the marching started right up. There were two regiments of infantry one of Ulans, one of artillery, one machine gun battalion, and a battalion of troops whose purpose it is to haul powder and supplies. Bro. Taylor and I met the Rolas family this evening and went to supper with them then we went out to the Palmen Garden to the concert. Judge Rolap is in Berlin and we were with Mrs. Rolap and a son, who is here on a mission and a daughter and younger son. Bro. Taylor and I met a new man. Bro. Reber, at the depot this afternoon.

June 9, 1909 (Wednesday): (Leipzig)

Bro. Taylor and I were at the office this forenoon but on account of the things being more and not being quite ready he couldn’t work. We ate at the “Veg” and me Joe Baer, Bish Reynolds, Broker Preston, Bro. Jensen and the new man Bro. Reber. After dinner we all took an Auto ride then went swimming. Merle and I went to the “Stadt Nüenberg” this evening.

June 10, 1909 (Thursday): (Leipzig, Bernburg)

I left Leipzig at 10:27 A.M. and on arrival in Bernburg went to Pfeiffers’ for dinner. Bro. Tonks and I visited Sister Appel, Bro. Wiele, Bro. Schwarg and Sister Hempel this afternoon and ate supper at Schlotes’ this evening.

June 11, 1909 (Friday): (Bernburg)

I went tracting this morning and had quite a number of conversations. I spent most of the afternoon studying. I also visited Herrn Appel. Bro. Felt arrived this evening and a Herr Johnke visited at Bro. Tonk’s room.

June 12, 1909 (Saturday): (Bernburg)

Bro. Felt and I remained at home writing until 11:30 then we went and met Bro. Tonks at the “Bad” and took a bath. This afternoon we wrote letters and studied and this evening we took a boat ride on the Sadle.

June 13, 1909 (Sunday): (Bernburg)

Bros. Felt, Tonks and I went to the “Marien Kirche” with Sister Schlotte. This afternoon we held Sunday School and this evening meeting. Bro. Tonks and I ate supper at Schlottes’.

June 14, 1909 (Monday): (Bernburg, Magdeburg)

Bro. Felt and I visited a family of friends this morning and left for Magdeburg at 10:43 A.M. On arrival we went directly to the U.S. Consol to give him some letters relative to Bro. Friederick’s banashment. We then went to the “Veg” for dinner. We visited a number of friends and Bro. Femel and Lehnhof. Bro. Femel invited us to spend the night with him so we returned to his place at about 8 P.M. and ate supper and spent the evening there. We had some very good visits.

June 15, 1909 (Tuesday): (Magdeburg)

Bro. Felt and I went down town this morning and sent of some cards and visited the Louisen Garden. We visited the younger Bro. Lehnhof at the “Raugensburg Kaserne” and he showed us around. We saw how the soldiers live. On our way back to Lemel’s for dinner we visited an old family of friends. This afternoon we visited the rest of the friends and again ate supper at Bro. Femel’s.

June 16, 1909 (Wednesday): (Magdeburg, Dessau, Bernburg)

We left for Dessau at 7:54 A.M. We had to lay over an hour in Cothen so we went into the town and took some pictures. In Dessau we visited Sister Liebenow then spent the afternoon visiting friends and saints. We ate supper with Sister Liebenow and held a little cottage meeting there. I came to Bernburg with the 10:34 P.M. train.

June 17, 1909 (Thursday): (Bernburg)

I and Bro. Tonks visited Sister Berger this forenoon. This afternoon I spent most of the time home studying then Bro. Tonks and I visited Apples’ then went to Schlotes’ for supper. Herr Johnke came at about 9 P.M. and with Bro., Sister, and Grete Schlote we went down to the scale and Bro. Tonks baptized him.

June 18, 1909 (Friday): (Bernburg)

I took a walkout into the country this forenoon. This afternoon Bro. Tonks and I visited six families of friends and this evening we went to an entertainment with Herrn Appel.

June 19, 1909 (Saturday): (Bernburg)

I spent the forenoon at home writing. This afternoon I went to the Bath with Bro. Tonks then we took a walk. Bro. Allred, who has been released, arrived from Berlin and we went to visit Schlotes’ with him. This evening all of us went to see the Fireworks at the “Kurhaus.”

June 20, 1909 (Sunday): (Bernburg)

Bro. Tonks and I went over to Schlotes’ this morning but Allred had gone to visit some friends. It was his intention to leave for Leipsic at 10:20 A.M. and we all went to the Depot to see him off, but he came too late to catch the train so he decided to wait and go to Sunday School and leave at 3:20 P.M. We all went and sat in the Hohenzollern garden until dinner time. I went to Sunday School and Bro. Allred spoke a few words to us during the course of the meeting. As soon as the school was dismissed we hurried to the depot and Bro. Allred left “Geschwister” Schlote, Bro. Tonks and I then went out to “Parforcehaus” and listened to the concert until six P.M. and we returned to Schlotes’, had supper then went to meeting.

June 21, 1909 (Monday): (Bernburg)

I spent the forenoon at home studying. This afternoon Bro. Tonks and I went and took some pictures. We visited Bro. Schwarz this evening and ate supper with him.

June 22, 1909 (Tuesday): (Bernburg)

I tracted this forenoon and met a few very good people. Bro. Tonks came over this afternoon and we spent the time reading, then we went to the Bath. We have a very interesting Bible Class this evening.

June 23, 1909 (Wednesday): (Bernburg)

It rained very hard this forenoon and I bought me an umbrella. This afternoon Bro. Tonks and I visited Frau Tenor, Frau Bone, Herrn Rose, and Sister Hoppe. This evening we visited Bro. Wiele and Bro. Johnke was present.

June 24, 1909 (Thursday): (Bernburg)

I went tracting this forenoon. Bro. Tonks and I took a walk this afternoon then came home and studied. We visited “Geschwister” Schlote and had supper there this evening.

June 25, 1909 (Friday): (Bernburg)

I went walking this morning. This afternoon I spent the time at home writing. Bro. Tonks and I visited Familie Appel this evening and ate supper there.

June 26, 1909 (Saturday): (Bernburg)

I tracted this forenoon until 11 P.M. then Bro. Tonks and I took a bath at the “Bad Anstalt.” I studied part of the afternoon then I visited Herrn Appel to get my coat which he has been repairing. Bro. Tonks and I visited Sister Berger this evening.

June 27, 1909 (Sunday): (Bernburg)

I spent the forenoon at home studying. This afternoon Bro. Tonks and I conducted Sunday School and we studied a while after that, then went walking. This evening we conducted the meeting.

June 28, 1909 (Monday): (Bernburg, Magdeburg, Bernburg)

I went to Magdeburg today at 10:40 A.M. and went direct to Bro. Femel’s to dinner. This afternoon I visited the American Consul then spent the rest of the afternoon visiting friends and saints. I returned to Bernburg at 9:06 P.M. The Vice-Consul told me that he is afraid we will be unable to get any freedom in Magdeburg until the law against our church is repealed.

June 29, 1909 (Tuesday): (Bernburg)

I took a bath at the Bad Anstalt this morning. I spent part of the afternoon at Bro. Tonks reading then we went swimming in the Saale and while there took some pictures. We ate supper at home then went to Bible Class. After the class we went home with Schlotes and visited them a while.

June 30, 1909 (Wednesday): (Bernburg)

I visited Schlotes’ this forenoon. This afternoon Bro. Tonks and I visited Herrn Steinburn and this evening we visited Bro. Schwarz. We also went to a moving picture show.

July 1, 1909 (Thursday): (Bernburg)

I went tracting this forenoon. This afternoon Bro. Tonks and I visited Sister Hoppe then went and paid the rent at the “Hohenzollern.” We spent the rest of the afternoon at home reading. We visited “Familie Zimmerman” this evening and had a very enjoyable time there.

July 2, 1909 (Friday): (Bernburg)

I tracted this forenoon then visited Herrn Peter the show maker. I spent the afternoon at home studying. This evening Bro. Tonks and I visited “Familie Appel.”

July 3, 1909 (Saturday): (Bernburg, Leipzig)

I left for Leipzig at 10:37 A.M. I hunted all over for Taylor but couldn’t find him. When I went to Warkentiens’ the Sister gave me coffee and milk rice, as I hadn’t eaten any dinner. I found Preston at the office and we made a visit by friends and got supper. At 10 P.M. we met some saints and friends at Möckern and Bro. Jensen baptized 3 people. We went to the Monopol and waited for Taylor to eat supper.

July 4, 1909 (Sunday): (Leipzig)

Bro. Taylor and I went to the bicycle races this afternoon. There was a motor paced race between a Frenchman a Hollander and two Germans which was very good. The Frenchman beat, having ridden the 100 kilometers in 72 min. 18 sec. This evening we met Jensen, Preston, Baer, and Frank, Whitney and Bishop Reynold from Zwickan and we all went out to the “Palmen Garden” and spent the evening.

July 5, 1909 (Monday): (Leipzig)

We all met at the “Veg” for dinner then went boat riding this afternoon. This evening we went to Don Cesar in the new Theatre, after the theatre we went to the Royal Café.

July 6, 1909 (Tuesday): (Leipzig)

I went and helped Merle at the office, while we were there a man came in selling tracts from some mission and we had quite a talk with him. The boys came in and we went to diner at the Monopol. Whitney and Reynolds left this afternoon. Taylor, Wright, and I ate a little supper at an “Automat” then we went out to the “Palmen Garden” and spent the evening.

July 7, 1909 (Wednesday): (Leipzig, Plagwitz, Bernburg)

We went to the office this forenoon then Bro. Wright left for Erfurt and Taylor, Preston and I went to the “Veg” for dinner. I stayed at the office until time to leave for the train, and went to the “Berliner Bahnhof.” I intended to catch the train leaving for Magdeburg at 4:23 P.M. but caught one leaving at 4:00 P.M. This train was the wrong one as it went over Bitterfeld and I had to go over Halle so I got off at Rackwitz and returned to Leipzig and went to the “Veg” for supper and caught a train at 7:45 P.M. and arrived in Bernburg at 10:12 P.M.

July 8, 1909 (Thursday): (Bernburg)

I spent the forenoon at home writing. I visited Herrn Peter also. This afternoon Bro. Tonks came over and we studied a while then went to Bro. Schlote’s for supper and spent the evening there.

July 9, 1909 (Friday): (Bernburg)

I tracted this forenoon. This afternoon Bro. Tonks and I visited Frau Steinborn, Frau Tenor, and Frau Bone, then Sister Schlote for a while. We visited “Familie Appel” this evening and ate supper there.

July 10, 1909 (Saturday): (Bernburg)

Bro. Tonks and I went to the “Volks Bad” this morning. This afternoon I visited “Familie Appel” and Frau Zimmerman and then wrote letters for a while. This evening Bro. Tonks and I went walking.

July 11, 1909 (Sunday): (Bernburg)

I spent the forenoon at home studying. This afternoon Bro. Tonks and I conducted Sunday School then we went with Bro. Schlotte and Herrn Appel to watch the boat races on the Saale. We conducted meeting this evening and the three women living here in this house were present. We had a very good meeting.

July 12, 1909 (Monday): (Bernburg)

I took my washing over to Pfeiffer’s this morning then Bro. Tonks and I visited Herrn Peter the shoemaker. At 11 A.M. there was a band concert and we went to it until noon. This afternoon we took a long walk then visited “Familie Schlote.” We ate supper at home then tried to visit Bro. Schwarz but he wasn’t at home, so we went to a “Kino.”

July 13, 1909 (Tuesday): (Bernburg)

I tracted this forenoon and this afternoon Bro. Tonks and I went walking. Went to visit Sister Hoppe but she wasn’t home. We conducted Bible Class this evening.

July 14, 1909 (Wednesday): (Bernburg)

I was unwell this morning and intended to stay in my room but young Erick Schlote called on me and said his mother wanted me to take a little walk with her to talk over some matters so I went and bought some cherries, and I went home and ate dinner with her. Bro. Tonks and I took a bath this afternoon at the “Brause.” This evening Bro. Schlote called on us and informed us that a Herr Marquardt was very sick so we went and administered to him then visited Bro. Wiele for the evening.

July 15, 1909 (Thursday): (Bernburg)

I spent this fore- and most of the afternoon at home reading. Bro. Tonks and I went to Schlotes’ to practice singing, and from there we went to Marquardts’ to see how the man was getting along. We ate supper and spent the evening at Appels’.

July 16, 1909 (Friday): (Bernburg)

I spent the forenoon at home studying. We visited Schlotes’ this afternoon, and this evening Merle Taylor came over from Leipzig and through invitation from Bro. Schlote went to the “Kaufmännischen Ball” together.

July 17, 1909 (Saturday): (Bernburg)

Taylor, Tonks and I went to the “Brause” and took a bath this morning. This afternoon we went steamboat riding with Schlotes’ up to Grönan and this evening we went to the “Kurhaus Konzert.”

July 18, 1909 (Sunday): (Bernburg)

Merle and I spent the forenoon at home then went to hear the band play on Karls Platz. At 12:30 P.M. we went to Schlotes’ for dinner. This afternoon we held Sunday School. After Sunday School Taylor and I visited “Familie Tenor.” From there we went to the “Kurhaus” and spent the rest of the afternoon. We held meeting in the hall this evening.

July 19, 1909 (Monday): (Bernburg)

Bro. Tonks and I went to the train with Bro. Taylor at 11:29 A.M. This afternoon we visited Frau Zimmermann, Herrn Peter and also drank coffee with Frau Pfeiffer. As we didn’t have a visit for this evening we went to eh “Cinaphon theater.”

July 20, 1909 (Tuesday): (Bernburg)

I visited Schlotes’ this forenoon and found that Bro. Schlotes has gone off on a trip. This afternoon Bro. Tonks and I visited Familie Marquardt, Frau Steinborn, Frau Tenor, and Frau Bone, then we went and took a bath. We held Bible Class this evening.

July 21, 1909 (Wednesday): (Bernburg, Dessau)

I visited two or three places with tracts then got ready and Bro. Tonks and I went to Dessau. We ate dinner at Sister Liebenows then went Wörlitzerstr and visited Frau Mitte. We visited Sister Rosenthal and met a woman there with whom I had quite a conversation. We tried to visit Bro. Liebenow but couldn’t find where he lives as he has moved lately but I gave some tracts out and had a conversation in the house where I was looking for him.

July 22, 1909 (Thursday): (Dessau, Bernburg)

Bro. Tonks and I slept at Sister Liebenow’s. This morning we went out to the Louisium and walked around until noon then went to dinner at the Theater Restaurant. This afternoon we walked through the Mansolium Park and the Georgium to Walwitzhaven then took the car back to town. I caught the train for Bernburg at 6:16 P.M. and spent the evening at home.

July 23, 1909 (Friday): (Bernburg)

I tracted this forenoon. This afternoon I went walking then spent the evening at Appels’.

July 24 1909 (Saturday): (Bernburg)

I spent the forenoon at home reading. This afternoon I wrote for a while then went tracting. Bro. Tonks and I visited Sister Schlote then went to the “Brause.” This evening we went to a “Kino.”

July 25, 1909 (Sunday): (Bernburg)

I spent part of the forenoon at home studying then visited Sister Schlote. This afternoon Bro. Tonks and I conducted Sunday School then we went with Sister Schlote to the “Felsen Keller” and spent the rest of the afternoon when we came back to town then ate supper at Schlote’s and this evening conducted meeting and there weren’t very many there.

July 26, 1909 (Monday): (Bernburg)

I tracted this forenoon and had quite an enjoyable time. This afternoon I wrote a letter then Bro. Tonks and I delivered the Stern to Sister Hoppe, from there we crossed over the Saale and bought some cherries then went walking. We bought supper and ate at Bro. Tonks’ room. This evening we went to a “Kino.”

July 27, 1909 (Tuesday): (Bernburg)

I visited Sister Schlote this morning to see if she was going to have dinner ready for us, then I tracted until noon. Bro. Tonk and I ate dinner with Sister Schlote and spent the forepart of the afternoon there. At 3 o-clock we went swimming in the Saale. We conducted Bible Class this evening. We also visited “Familie Marquardt” this afternoon.

July 28, 1909 (Wednesday): (Bernburg)

I tracted this forenoon. This afternoon being rainy I stayed home and studied. Bro. Tonks and I visited Sister Berger this evening.

July 29, 1909 (Thursday): (Bernburg)

I spent the forenoon at home writing and studying. This afternoon I went tracting, then went to the reading room for a while. Bro. Tonks and I visited Sister Schlote this evening and ate supper there. We went to the depot with her at 11:06 P.M. to meet Bro. Schlote and the two boys, who have been on a trip for the last week.

July 30, 1909 (Friday): (Bernburg)

I spent the forenoon at home studying. This afternoon I read a while then went tracting. Bro. Tonks and I visited “Familie Schlote” then went to Appels’ and ate supper and spent the evening there.

July 31, 1909 (Saturday): (Bernburg)

I wrote a letter to Luella this morning, then Bro. Tonks and I went to the “Brause” for a bath. I read until about 4 P.M. then Bro. L. and I visited Frau Zimmerman for a while. We then went to the Kino which lasted until 6:30. We ate supper and spent the evening at Sister Hampel’s. This is the first time we have had a chance to visit Hampels’ and we found supper somewhat hard to eat on account of the uncleanness.

August 1, 1909 (Sunday): (Bernburg)

I spent the forenoon at home. Bro. Tonks and I listened to the Band during the noon hour then we visited Schlotes’ until Sunday School time. We had a soldier as visitor both in Sunday School and evening meeting. He is in Bernburg on a visit and he wanted to find the Baptist meeting but as they haven’t got one here he came to our meeting. He bought a Book of Mormon, part of which he has already read. He got up in meeting and bore his testimony that the Book of Mormon is true. Bro. Tonks and I ate dinner with Schlotes’ after Sunday School then we all took a little walk together.

August 2, 1909 (Monday): (Bernburg, Magdeburg, Bernburg)

I went to Magdeburg this forenoon. Upon arrival I went direct to the “Veg” for dinner. Right after dinner I visited Bro. Lehnhof and found that his son has secured his release from the army. I luckily found Bro. and Sister Femel at home, they having returned yesterday from their Summer outing, and I remained “to coffee” with them. I spent the rest of the rest of the afternoon visiting Frau Wieblitz and Herrn Wernicke. I visited Reinholds, in the Hálberstädter str., this evening. I returned to Bernburg with the 9:06 P.M. train.

August 3, 1909 (Tuesday): (Bernburg)

I spent the forenoon at home. This afternoon Bro. Tonks and I visited Herrn Marquardt, I spent the rest of the time until supper tracting. We held Bible Class this evening. I had another talk with the officer after the meeting.

August 4, 1909 (Wednesday): (Bernburg)

I visited Sister Schlote this forenoon. This afternoon Herr Körner, the officer visited Tonks, and me at my room and we spent the whole afternoon talking about the gospel. This evening Bro. Tonks and I went to “Die Hanbenlerche” in the Victoria. It is a piece from Ernst son Wildenbruch.

August 5, 1909 (Thursday): (Bernburg)

Bro. Tonks and I went to the “Brause” this morning, then we went to the Dentist for Tonks to get his teeth fixed. We visited Frau Tenor and Frau Steinburn before dinner. This afternoon we went out to Grönau and distributed a few tracts. We ate supper and spent the evening at Schlotes’. When I got home this evening there was a telegram letting me know that there will be a conference in Chemnitz August 7th for me to packup.

August 6, 1909 (Friday): (Bernburg, Leipzig, Chemnitz)

I got up at 5 A.M. and packed my trunk then visited Sister Schlote to let her know that I was leaving. Bro. Tonks and I left Bernburg at 9:23 A.M. and arrived in Leipzig at 11:08. We met Bro. Kratzer at the office then went to dinner at the “Veg” with him. We met Bros. Baer, Jensen, Preston and Bros Wright and Goates from Erfurt. After dinner and we all left for Chemnitz at 2:50 P.M. Arriving there we went to Bro. Bennion’s and Frank Arnold’s room in the Jahn str. This evening all the elders that had arrived in Chemnitz went to Choir practice. Bros. Goates, Jensen, Reber and I spent are staying at Bro. Läffler’s for the night.

August 7, 1909 (Saturday): (Chemnitz)

We, all the elders of the Leipzig and Dresden Conferences, the Conference Presidents of the Königsberg, Hamburg, Berlin, Leipzig, Dresden, Frankfurt, Zurich, Bern and Breslau Conferences and five new men from home, assembled in conference at 10 A.M. The meeting lasted until 12:30 P.M. then adjourned until 3 P.M. When we met again for three hours all the time in the meetings today was taken up with the elders giving their reports and expressing some of their ideas about the work and we enjoyed an exceptionally good spirit. I ate dinner at a restaurant with Merle Taylor, Luke and Clarence Wright. This evening Bro. Goates and I went into the same restaurant when Pres. McKay and a number of the elders came in and we ate supper together. I am staying at Sister Löffler’s again.

August 8, 1909 (Sunday): (Chemnitz)

Having been invited to attend the meeting of the Conference Presidents I was at the hall at 9 A.M. The meeting was taken up with discussing methods of improvement throughout the mission. President McKay informed me that he was going to put me in Conference President but he didn’t tell me of what conference. The meeting for all the brethren started at 10:30. And we received splendid instructions from Pres. McKay. Bro. Merle Taylor and I ate dinner at Sister Whlig’s. At afternoon meeting the hall was crowded and some of the Conference Presidents were called upon to speak. I was also called upon. Pres. McKay took up the rest of the time. After meeting Merle Taylor, Luke and Clarence Wright and I took a walk together then ate something in an intimate supper then went to meeting. The rest of the Conference Presidents and Bro. McKay spoke. I am staying at the same place tonight. Bro. Tonks has been transferred to Switzerland and Bro. Archie Brockbank and Bro. Millett have been assigned to Bernburg.

August 9, 1909 (Monday): (Chemnitz)

The Conference Presidents met again this morning to continue the subjects of improvement. The meeting lasted until 12:30 P.M. I went to dinner with Bro. Taylor and we met again at 2:45 P.M. and had our pictures taken. Pres. McKay informed me that he was going to put me in President of the Frankfurt Conference. Most of the brethren went to Dresden and the rest of them went to their fields of labor and Bro. Bennion and I went and got Bro. Hansen’s suitcase and we mailed it to Dresden to him. Bro. Hansen is Aunt Janie’s nephew and when I heard him speak Saturday it seems as if one of my brothers were talking and I didn’t find out until after who he was. Bro. Bennion and I visited two saints this afternoon and ate supper with the last ones. We visited a friend this evening. I am staying with Bro. Frank Arnold tonight.

August 10, 1909 (Tuesday): (Chemnitz)

I went tracting this forenoon. This afternoon I went to the “Brause” and had a bath then went to Bro. Wolf’s and spent the afternoon studying. This evening I went visiting with Bro. Bennion. We visited a family of friends in EstStr.

August 11, 1909 (Wednesday): (Chemnitz, Plauen)

I received a card from Pres. McKay this morning telling me to meet him in Plauen im Vogt this evening. I spent the morning at Bro. Wolf’s and ate dinner there then visited Bros. Bennion and Arnold to say good-bye to them. I left Chemnitz at 12:52 P.M. and arrived in Plauen at 2:53 P.M. Bro. H.A. Rich and I took a little walk this afternoon then met Presidents McKay, Taylor, and Brimhall at the depot. We held a very interesting meeting this evening.

August 12, 1909 (Thursday): (Plauen, Erfurt)

I slept at a saint’s place with Clarence Wright last night. This forenoon as Clarence Wright and I were going through the street to the depot, we met Bro. Hansen, who had got off to see the town. We directed him to where he could find Pres. McKay then we went to the depot and found when we could get a train for Dera. Presidents McKay, Hansen, Taylor and I ate dinner at Sister Himmer’s. Bro. Hansen left right after dinner for his field and the rest of us went to Bro. Riche’s room, where we met some of the boys. We spent about an hour talking over various subjects with Pres. McKay. At 5:08 A.M. Pres. McKay and I left for Erfurt from the “Unterer Bahnhof.” We had to change cars in Gera and Weimar and arrived in Erfurt at 9:42 P.M. Bros. Luke Wright, Goates and Wright met us at the depot and we all went and had supper together. Luke and I went to Sister Lydwig’s to sleep. On the way to her place on the car, we met a woman who could speak English.

August 13, 1909 (Friday): (Erfurt, Frankfurt)

Bro. McKay and I left Erfurt at 9:04 A.M. for Eisenach where we arrived at 9:50. We took a car from the depot with the intention of riding some distance toward the Wartburg. We met an American who wished to go with us and we asked a man to show us the way and he directed us on to a wrong path so we had to turn around and go another way. Pres. McKay had a talk with the Young American about our Church and it turned out that he had quite a false idea of us. He was a Presbyterian. At the Wartburg we saw the “Sänger” and the “Fest Säle,” their amour collection and the room in which Martin Luther translated the Bible. We hurried from the Wartburg and caught a train for Frankfurt A.M. at 12:20 P.M. As the train carried only 1st and 2nd class we got off at Bebra and caught a train which was following it about ten minutes and arrived in Frankfurt at 3:56 P.M. Pres. Howell met us at the depot and took our things to his room and we went to a barber’s and got shaved. We met Pres. Howell and some of the boys shortly after and went swimming. After going to the room in Ribelungen Str Bro. McKay went to the theater and Bro. Howell and I went to supper together. After supper we went to the hall and listened to Bro. Eb. Kirkham practice singing. We met the brethren who had gone to the theatre after it was out and went to a restaurant while Pres. McKay had supper.

August 14, 1909 (Saturday): (Frankfurt)

I stayed at Bro. Hagelstange in Nibelungen Allee 25. We had Priesthood meeting at 9 A.M. this morning and the brethren gave their reports. I went with Bros. Parsons, Schulze, and three other Brethren to dinner at a family of Saints. I found that Bro. Schulze used to work for us years ago, and that later he was guard at Saltair. Our meeting convened again at 2 P.M. Bro Parsons and I gave our reports then Pres. McKay took up the rest of the time giving us instructions. We enjoyed a very good time. This evening we met Bro. Will McKay at the depot then went out to the “Baloon Austellung.”

August 15, 1909 (Sunday): (Frankfurt)

I went to the teachers’ meeting at 12:30 P.M. after eating dinner with Sister Hagelstange. The Sunday School Conference started 1:30. It was very interesting to see how well some of the saints understand the gospel. Our afternoon meeting started at 3 o’clock. I was the first one called to speak. There were over 200 people present. Bros. McKay Smith, Stewart, Newman and I ate supper at some saints. Our evening meeting started at 8 o’clock and was a very good one.

August 16, 1909 (Monday): (Frankfurt)

I met Bro. McKay at Bro Howell’s this morning and we talked over the matter of placing the men. We convened in Priestood meeting at the hall at 9 A.M. Pres. McKay appointed me to preside over this, the Frankfurt Conference, to take the place of Pres. Howell, who is going to preside over the Hungarian Conference. I ate dinner at the Salzhaus with Pres. Parkinson and Howell. This afternoon and evening I visited friends and saints with Pres. McKay and Pres. Howell.

No comments:

Post a Comment