Friday, October 16, 2009

EQC: German Mission - Salt Lake to Tilsit (July to September 1907)

My grandfather, Edwin Q. Cannon, the son of George Q. Cannon, grandson of George Cannon the Immigrant and great grandson of Captain George Cannon, served an LDS mission from August 21, 1907 (although the frontispiece of his journal says June 13, 1907) to July 3, 1910 (almost three years) to what he referred to as “Germany and Switzerland.” He kept a handwritten journal which he later bound in the form of a book. See the picture below.

My cousin, Mary Pearson, has transcribed approximately the first year and I am making an effort to transcribe the balance. At the beginning of the journal he wrote that he served in Tilsit, Koenigsburg, Leipzig, Magdeburg, Dessau, and Frankfurt. My cousin Bill Barnes has also transcribed some letters from Ed to his girlfriend, Luella Wareing, who Ed married when he returned from his mission. They have also been included among the journal entries.

The German Empire, or Deutches Reich, was created in 1871 at the conclusion of the Franco-Prussian War. It was the grouping together of the North German Federation, dominated by the Kingdom of Prussia, and the states of Baden, Wurttemberg and Bavaria. The Kingdom of Prussia, one of the states, dominated the new Empire. King William I of Prussia, became Emperor William I and prime minister Otto von Bismarck became imperial chancellor. When Ed was there, William II was Emperor and the map below shows the political structure. The Kingdom of Prussia is in green and the other 8 kingdoms or states are in yellow. Prussia comprised 60% of the land of the German Empire, and was, in turn, divided into 14 provinces, also set forth on the map. The appointed head of each province was known as the Oberpresident and each province also had a diet, or Provinziallandtage. Each province was further subdivided into Regierungsbezirke. In 1910, the population of Prussia was 40.17 million.
It is fascinating to read the journal and see how much missionary work has changed today. It was less than six weeks from Ed’s mission call to when he left for his mission. It took him 26 days to go from Salt Lake to the Swiss German mission headquarters in Zurich. Eight of those days were spent on a ship in the Atlantic, but four were spent as a tourist in London, seeing the sights and attending opera. He got to visit three of his brothers along the way: Sylvester in Rotterdam, Clawson in Brussels and Espey in Basel. Perhaps most surprising, he spent quite a bit of time alone with a woman, sightseeing and traveling. He never identifies her, other than by name, but I assume she was a sister missionary traveling to a different mission. Once in his mission, on the way to his first area, he met another brother, Tracy, who was studying music in Berlin. It was 34 days after leaving Salt Lake that he finally arrived in his first area: the Tilsit Branch in the Konigsberg Conference, part of East Prussia. Tilsit is now Sowjetsk and Konigsberg is now Kaliningrad, both in Russia.

In 1897 the German Mission was established with headquarters in Hamburg and districts in Berlin, Dresden, Frankfurt, Hamburg and Stuttgart. By 1898 there were branches in Frankfurt, Leipzig, Hamburg and Cologne. An article in the Deseret News, dated April 24, 1903, states that the governments of Prussia and the grand duchy of Mechlenburg decided to expel Mormon missionaries because polygamy was not excluded from its doctrine and it was incompatible with the laws of the state and public morals. Hugh J. Cannon, the mission president (Ed’s half-brother), indicated that there were about 90 missionaries in Prussia, 145 in Germany and about 1,800 members. An article in the New York Times, dated June 7, 1903, indicates that Hugh J. Cannon was ordered to leave Prussian territory within three weeks and that similar orders would be served on 86 other missionaries in Prussia. Cannon indicated that mission headquarters would be moved to Zurich, Switzerland and that missionaries would occasionally visit the 1,200 members in Prussia, usually found in groups of 15 to 20.

It appears that the German Mission was recombined with the Switzerland Mission in 1904, called the Swiss and German Mission, with headquarters in Zurich. Hugh J. Cannon was replaced as mission president by Serge F. Ballif in 1904. By 1910, toward the end of Ed’s mission, there were 60 small congregations in Germany and German speaking Switzerland with 1,028 members.

The journal entries follow:

July 13, 1907 (Saturday): (Mission Call)

I was called to go on a mission to Germany and Switzerland.

July 22, 1907 (Monday): (Cherry Creek, Nevada) [Letter to Luella Wareing]

Dear Luella, -

After a hard day’s labor I find myself writing to you. Although I am writing under rather strenuous circumstances I feel that I should do so, not through any special pleasure in writing, but for the pleasure in receiving a letter from you. The reason I say strenuous is because I am sitting on a box about six inches high writing on a board two & a half feet from the ground with an old dirty lantern for a light. I just discovered that I started this letter backwards but I wont make a new one, I numbered the pages so that you’ll know where you’r at. Collie is lying over on the bunk reading and Bill is working night shift in the mine. Collie sends his love and wants you to cut a small piece of it off for Carrie. Collie and I are working days, Collie is mucking in the mine while I am skinning a four horse team, hauling coal and freight to the mine. We had a great trip from Salt Lake, we got lost three times and were tied up on the Desert three days with only enough water for one day, and only escaped choking to death by a mere chance, that chance being a good team. It took us ten days when we only expected to be six. The people here became very worried and were about to send out a searching party for us when we arrived. Do you know a Miss Taylor of Ogden? I’ll tell you about her when I see you if you do. She is light complexioned and quite pretty. Well I see I’ve gone my limit so I’ll choke off I guess. I expect to be home in about twenty days as I am called to go on a mission to Germany & Switzerland about August 28. You can’t imagine my anger at receiving a call on the day of my arrival here. I don’t see why the[y] couldn’t have sent it three days sooner, then I wouldn’t have left Zion to come out to this God forsaken hole. Well hoping you are having a joyful time I remain as ever yours.


p.s. write soon

Say is Dyre still in town? If so how is he? Do you ever see Hen? If so give him my best. Say if this petter is rather unclean please excuse it as I am in a dirty old log house & I haven’t washed my hands since I left Salt Lake. Say you ought to see my beard Gee it’s a pip

August 14, 1907 (Wednesday): (Ordination and Endowments)

I went through the Salt Lake Temple, being ordained an Elder by Bro. W. W. Riter, then received my endowments.

August 16, 1907 (Friday): (Farewell)

Although not listed in his journal, Ed had a farewell in the Twelfth Ward Hall in the evening. The program, copy below, states he is going to the European Mission.

August 21, 1907 (Wednesday): (Left Salt Lake by train)

I left Salt Lake on the Los Angeles Limited leaving the Oregon Short Line Depot at 12:25 pm.

August 23, 1907 (Friday): (Arrival in Chicago)   [Letter to Luella Wareing]

Spent Wednesday and Thursday on the train. Friday I arrived in Chicago about noon. I went to the Majestic Theatre in the afternoon then I visited the docks.

Envelope addressed to Miss Luella Wareing, 373 5 Avenue, Salt Lake City, UT on stationery of the Hotel Majestic, on Quincy Street between State and Dearborn in Chicago. "Absolutely Fireproof, Frank Hall, Manager

Dear Luella,-

Well I am in Chicago at last. So far so good. Another week will see me on the briny deep. I hope you survived the shock of last Wednesday all right. I believe that I am either very shallow in my nature or else it's the excitement for I haven't had the slightest tinge of homesickness or remorse. Of course I have exerted some will power in that direction by not letting myself dwell to much on the extended time wich I will spend away from the “loved ones at home,” (there are tears in my eyes as I write it). No but to leave joshing aside I believe it is harder on a persons friends at home than the person himself. Of course if I should let my mind dwell on the changes which might take place in the next three years it would be no time until I be homesick. I’ll admit to a very shakey feeling about the time I was kissing you girls good by and in fact it was with some exertion that I controlled my self from the time I met you on the corner. Well I’ll quit philosophizing) I guess that’s right spelling, it’s what I mean anyway) and say so long, O I had a dandy trip so far.

Lovingly from Ed

p.s. Say you didn’t mention the picture. You were in such a darn big rush when I came back to give it to you that I didn’t have a chance to get your opinion of it. E.Q.C.

p.s. no2. I’ll forgive you for that rush though. E.Q.C. OXXXXX

August 24, 1907 (Saturday): (Leaves Chicago)

I spent the morning seeing Chicago University. Left Chicago at 2:32 pm on the Nickel plate Road which leaves the from the LaSalle St. Station.

August 25, 1907 (Sunday): (Buffalo and Niagara Falls)

Arrived in Buffalo N.Y. at 8:35 p.m. From Buffalo I took a train to Niagra Falls. At the Falls in company with Harold Huyde, with whom I traveled from Salt Lake, I went in to the “Cave of the Winds”. Left Buffalo at 10 pm for Boston.

August 26, 1907 (Monday): (Boston)

Arrived in Boston at 10:45 am. Spent the morning in finding the White Star Steam ship office and a Hotel. Walked around the streets during the afternoon.

August 27, 1907 (Tuesday): (Boston)

I went to Harvard Square where I visited some of the buildings and museums. In the afternoon I visited the White Star Dock then the U.S. Navy Yard. In the Navy Yard I went through the Des Moines, a gun boat; the old Constitution or “Old Iron sides”; and the Tennessee, a cruiser. In the afternoon I went to Bunker Hill, going up to the top of the monument. In the evening I went to visit Miss Jennie Sands who is going to sail on the Republice.

August 28, 1907 (Wednesday): (Leaves Boston by ship)

I visited the old Massichussets State House. I was much interested in the old relics kept there. At 12:30 pm I boarded the Republic. At 2 pm morings were loosed and I started on my voyage to Liverpool. The weather was ideal being clear and calm.

August 29, 1907 (Thursday): (At sea)

I spent a very pleasant day the weather was clear and calm.

August 30, 1907 (Friday): (At sea)

Felt the first rocking of the boat this morning. I spent a very enjoyable day feeling very well. Some of the passengers sick. We had a short shower, otherwise the day was perfect.

August 31, 1907 (Saturday): (At sea)

The sky was cloudy today otherwise it was quite pleasant. This evening we had a lecture on the Argentine Republic by Mr. Kelley a resident of that country. He is a very interesting speaker having traveled a great deal, this being his hundred and fifteth voyage.

September 1, 1907 (Sunday): (At sea)

The weather held about the same today as it was yesterday. At 10 a.m. Jos. Baer and I went to the service held in the 1st Class Saloon. It was conducted according to the Church of England plan. It being Harold Hyde’s birthday a crowd of us boys undertook to give him the customary chastizing. After two attempts we succeeded. This evening a Church of England service was held in the 2nd Class Saloon which I attended.

September 2, 1907 (Monday): (At sea)

The weather was cloudy but quite mild. Today seemed to me to be the shortest I have spent on the ship. This evening we had a concert in the 2nd Class Saloon. Under the circumstances it was very interesting. One of the numbers on the programme was a song by a few of us missionaries.

Enclosed in a September 4, 1907 letter to Luella Wareing was a Programme of Concert for shipboard entertainment on Monday Sept 2nd, in aid of Seamen's Charities of Liverpool and Boston.

After the final number, which is listed as "Chorus by the Company........... AMERICA GOD SAVE THE QUEEN" it is handwritten: song {J.E. Baer, F. C. Torkelson, E.Q. Cannon. - - Pederson

September 3, 1907 (Tuesday): (At sea)

The weather was cloudy and much colder. A brisk breeze started up at about 2 p.m. and continued during the night. This evening we elders held a meeting for the purpose of giving the passengers some idea of our doctrine. Bro. Milstrup took charge. Bro. Nielsen occupied a few moments of the time, explaining the first principles of the Gospel. Bro. Evans then read the Articles of Faith. Bro. L. S. Meacham of Idaho spoke a few minutes following the same subject as Bro. Nielsen. We then sang after which Geo. Lambert explained some of the hardships undergone by the early settlers of Salt Lake Valley. We saw a school of porpoises today.

September 4, 1907 (Wednesday): (At sea, Queenstown, Ireland, at sea)  [Letter to Luella Wareing]

This morning was the coldest morning we’ve had since leaving Boston. There was a cold East wind blowing. We reached Queenstown Ire. at 4 pm and left 430 pm. It was raining very hard.

On the stationery of the S.S. “Republic”

Dear Luella.-

Well I am very near across the ocean now and I haven’t been sick yet. We have had fine weather up to yesterday which was very cold. A storm came up last night which rocked the boat some. It is still blowing and raining. They say we are in sight of land but I was on deck a while ago & couldn’t see it though. The boat will stop at Queenstown Ire. Sometime today and we will land at Liverpool in the morning. I have had the dandiest trip so far, and haven’t been home sick either. Of course I would like to see you awfully well but as that is impossible there’s no use worring. One of the fellows leaned over my shoulder just now & said “that’s a mild way of addressing her” But that’s not necessary because you can read it between the lines. Well so long they are going to close the mail sack right soon. Write me care of Mr. Ballif, Hoeszhgasse 68, Zurich, Switzerland

Lovingly, Ed.

September 5, 1907 (Thursday): (Liverpool, Birkenhead)

The weather was much finer this morning. We arrived at the Landing stage Liverpool at about 9 am. We were met at the dock by Elder Thomas Lambert. I took charge of Miss Jennie Sands after leaving the ship. I went in to the Walker Art Gallery also the public library. Rode on the overhead R.R. from Pier Head to seaforth sands and return. At the mission headquarters I met Bert Reeves. I went to the Empire Theatre with him after which I went with him to stay all night at Birkenhead.

September 6, 1907 (Friday): (Birkenhead, Liverpool, London)

It was a very fine day today. Bert Reeves brought me from Birkenhead to Liverpool this morning in time to meet the party who were going to London. I met Miss Josephine Clawson & her mother as I was going to the Depot to. I also met Shirley & Chester Clawson. Left Liverpool from the Central Station on the midland R. R. arrived in London at the St. Pancras station at 4 p.m. Miss Sands and I then went to the Imperial Hotel in Russel Square. This evening we went to the Hippadrome Theatre on Picadilly Circus. While there I recognized Edler Willis of S.Lake. I then went over and made myself acquainted with him. We then met him after the show in front of the Theatre. I also met Elder Smith whom I used to know at the University of Utah.

September 7, 1907 (Saturday): * (London)

The weather was very fine today. I met Elders Jackson, Child and Evans at the Imperial Hotel where I was staying. We then waited for Elder Smith with whom I had made an appointment last night to show us around London. Bro. Smith arrived about 9.30 a.m. and we proceeded by buss to Picadilly Circus then by foot to Westminster Abbey. There we visited the burial places of the royal family also the Poets Corner. We then went to the House of Parliament visiting the House of Lords & Commons. We then went to the British Museum where we spent two hours. Miss Sands & I left the rest of the boys who were conducted by Elder Smith to their train. I went with Miss Sands to do some errends after which we met Bro. Smith at Russel Sq. The three of us went to supper at a place on Picadilly, thence to the Lyric Theatre where we saw the Japanese opera Madam Butterfly. After the show we came to the mission headquarters in Farleigh Road.
*This was Ed's 21st birthday, but he makes no mention of it.

September 8, 1907 (Sunday): (London)

The weather still held good today. I heard that this is the first good weather they have had in London for a long while. I attended Sunday School here at the mission headquarters. I had agreed to meet Miss Sands at Russel Square. After dinner Bro. Lillywhite and I went to Russel Sq. & met Miss Sand. We waited for Bro. Smith. The three of us then went to visit St. Paul’s Cathedral. From there we went to the St. James Palace, St. James Park, White Hall & then to Finsbury Town Hall where they held meeting.

September 9, 1907 (Monday): (London)

The weather was still very fine this morning. Miss Sands and I started out alone this morning and visited the Tower of London. Among other things we saw the crown jewels and the place where the scaffold stood where Anne Bolyn was beheaded. But before visiting the Tower we went through the Bank of England. In the afternoon we went to St. Paul’s Church again and took more time looking around. We went up to the gallery in the dome, called “the whispering gallary”. In the evening we went to see the old Drury Lane Theatre but there was no show “on” so we went to the Haymarket Theatre where we saw “My Wife”.

September 10, 1907 (Tuesday): (London)

The weather was very fine today. Miss Sands & I went to the St. Pancras Station to get my trunk. From there we took a cab to the Fenchurch Street Station where we left our baggage. We then went to visit Mme. Toussauds wax works. The images were very life like, so much so that upon entering I mistook the image of a grenadier for a real man. Our next visit was to the National Art Gallery, off Trifalger Square. We became very interested in the pictures, but owing to an insufficient amount of time we were compelled to leave in order to catch the train for Tillbury. We left from the Fenchurch St. Depot at 448 p.m. We boarded the S. Betavier V about 530 pm. The accomidations on this boat for the 2d Class passengers is very poor.

September 11, 1907 (Wednesday): (Rotterdam, Brussels)

We were wakened this morning at 5 oclock to have our baggage inspected. I slept rather poorly on account of the hard bed and noise of the machinery. We landed at Rotterdam at 7 am. The weather was very fine. We proceeded to Boezemsingel 116 which is the mission headquarters. Here we met Sylvester*, Winnie, and their two children. During the day we visited the Old Pilgrims Church where the Pilgrim Fathers last worshipped before embarking for America. We left Rotterdam for Brussels on the 350 pm train from the central station. On the train we met Geo. Lambert and wife, Bro. Chamberline & wife, and Archie Chamberline. They got off at Antwerp. We arrived in Brussels at the North Station at 630 pm and were there met by Clawson** and Elder Kingdon. We then went to the Grand Hotel where Miss Sands stayed for the night and I went with Clawson and Bro. Kingdon to their lodging place. The three of us went to a bible class at the home of one of the Saints. The three of us, after returning, slept in one bed.

*Sylvester Cannon was Ed’s half brother, the son of George Q. Cannon and Elizabeth Hoagland Cannon and 9 years older than Ed. He was called to serve a mission in Belgium and Holland and stayed on. Here, from 1907 to 1909, he was serving as president of the Netherlands Mission. He served as presiding bishop of the LDS church from 1925 to 1938 and was called as an apostle in 1938 until his death in 1943.

**Clawson Cannon was Ed’s half brother, the son of George Q. Cannon and Caroline Young Cannon and 1 year older than Ed.

September 12, 1907 (Thursday): (Brussels, Cologne)

The weather was still very good today. Clawson, Bro. Kingdon and I went to the Grand Hotel to meet Miss Sand but we had to wait some time before she returned from breakfast. The four of us then went to some art gallery, (I forget the name). On the road we passed the house in which Victor Hugo wrote part of his Les Miserables. From the art gallery Miss S. and I went to the Palace of Justice. This is a most Magnificent structure said to have cost ten million dollars. Miss S. & I left Brussels at 5. Pm for Cologne at which place we arrived at 11 p.m.. We went to the Savoy Hof.

September 13, 1907 (Friday): (Cologne, Coblenz, Mainz, Frankfurt)

We had very fine weather today. Last night was the first night I have dreamed of Home that I remember of since I left. On account of my not setting my watch ahead an hour, which I should have done, I left it at the same time we had in Brussels. The result was it was 9 am. When I left my room and the train was due to leave at 920 am. Miss S. & I went in to the cathedral but they were holding mass so we hurried to the train. We got off the train at Coblenz and took the steam boat for Mainz. It was the pleasantest trip I have ever spent, especially the Part after sunset. With the evening light it is the most beautiful sight I have ever seen. On the boat we passed several old ruins and castles and the Lorelei Rock. One old tower, that was especially interesting to me, is, on an island near Bingen & is called the Mouse Tower. It is said that Archbishop Hatto of Mainz , having caused a number of poor people, whom he compared to mice bent on devouring the corn, to be burned in a barn during a famine. He was attacked by mice, which tormented him day and night. He sought refuge on this island, but was followed by his persecutors, and devoured alive. (Baedeker) I have heard this story in a little different form when I was a child. From Mainz we took the train for Frankfurt A.M. arriving at 9.45 pm. We stayed at the Englisher Hof.

September 14, 1907 (Saturday): (Frankfurt, Heidelberg)

We had the worst weather today that we have had since we landed. It was cloudy all day and tonight it rained. This morning Miss S. left for Dresden at 854 am and I left for Heidelberg at 945 am. Upon arriving at Heidelberg I checked my baggage and went to the Heidelberg Castle situated on a hill south of the town. It is entirely surrounded by trees and shrubbery making it very picturesque. I went all through the Castle. The most interesting I saw was the Heidelberg Tun a great wine cask capable of holding 49,000 gallons. This evening I went the Lang’s Hotel and engaged a room then walked past the Depot thence up the main street. After walking some time I noticed that a number of people were branching of into a side street, so I followed them. I crossed the bridge to Neuheim and there I found a large crowd lined up along the river. I sat down on the bank and waited. The river was covered with boats and barges each bearing Japanese lanterns. Finally at the report of a gun, the whole Heidelberg Castle seemed to burst into flames. Rockets of all kinds were sent up from every part and red fire was kept burning for ten or fifteen minutes making it stand out much more distinctly than it could possibly do in the day time. Three large barges each carrying a band floated down the river and anchored below the bridge. At another shot of a cannon the whole bridge seemed to burst in flame. From each of its six pears yellow and red fire was burnt. The castle on the hill all ablaze, the bridge a great mass of flame and the river covered with Japanese lanterns all combined to form what seemed to me to be the most beautiful sight one could witness. As a climax they had some very fine fireworks from a barge in the river.

September 15, 1907 (Sunday): (Heidelberg, Offenburg, Basel)

It was raining hard this morning. I caught the train for Basel at 811 am. This proved to be the wrong train so I got off at Offenburg and caught the next which went to Basil. On arriving in Basil I went to 75 Hammerstrasse which is the headquarters of the missionaries. I was expecting to meet Espy* here but he didn’t show up until night. I went to the afternoon meeting with Elders Grosjean & Newman. After Espy’s arrival in the evening we went to meeting again. They have quite a flourishing branch here.

*Espey Cannon was Ed’s half-brother, the son of George Q. Cannon and Martha Telle Cannon. He was Ed’s age.

September 16, 1907 (Monday): (Basil, Olten)

The weather was still unsettled today. Espy and I spent the morning together. We caught a train for Olten at 145 pm. In Olten we met Elders Herbert Flamm & John Loosley. We spent the remainder of the day with them in walking around the country & exchanging gossip. Espy & I stayed at the “Half Moon” a hotel in Olten.

September 17, 1907 (Tuesday): (Olten, Zurich)

The weather was quite cold today other wise quite pleasant. Espy left for Geneve at 820 am and I left for Zurich three minutes later. Espy and I have spent a most enjoyable time together. On arriving at Zurich I proceeded to Hoschgasse 68 which is the headquarters for the German Swiss Mission. Here I met Bro. [Serge F.] Ballif* the president and was assigned the the Konigsburg Conference. At this office I also met Elders Harry Shepherd and David H. Beardshall who are working in the office. I purchased a ticket for Berlin where I shall proceed tomorrow. This evening I accompanied Elders Shepherd and Beardshall to visit one of the Saints. I am staying at headquarters tonight.

*Serge F. Ballif was born September 23, 1859 and was almost age 48 at this time. He was married to Zelnora Eliza Angell, the daughter of Truman Angell and had been for 22 years. He served a mission in Switzerland from 1890 to 1893 (while married) and presided over the French Conference which included the branches in Neuchatel, Lausanne and Geneva. He succeeded Hugh J. Cannon as president of the Swiss German Mission where he served for 5 ½ years. He later served as president of the Cache Stake in Logan, Utah, beginning in 1911, two years after his release as mission president.

September 18, 1907 (Wednesday): (Zurich)

The weather was much nicer today that it has been for some days past. The first thing this morning I went with Bro. Shepherd to the Depot to arrange about sending my trunk to Konigsburg. After dinner while stroling along the east shore of the lake I was accosted by a man who asked me if I was an American. This man proved to be Elder Fredrick O. Hanefer who is laboring in the Zurich Branch. Together we walked around to the west shore of the lake. Here we could get a fair view of Zurich. Along the shore, next to the town, it has been parked making it very pretty. I will leave for Berlin tonight on the 1130 p.m. train.

September 19, 1907 (Thursday): (Berlin)

I rode on the train all night and arrived at Berlin 441 p.m. at the Anhalter Bahfot. I was met at the train by Elder Clyde Lindsay who is president of the Berlin Conference. He conducted me to Landsberger Str. 32 where the Hall is. Here I met Elders A. C. Cooley, F. N. Parkinson, Musser, Taylor, and several others whos names I forget. They held a meeting in the hall this evening and I met several of the saints. I stayed with Bro’s. Coolie and Parkinson.

September 20, 1907 (Friday): (Berlin)

It was quite cloudy today but otherwise all right. This morning I went out tracting with Bro. Cooley, then went to one of the Saints to eat dinner. This evening I went with Bro’s. Cooley & Parkinson to see Salome in the Konigliches Opernhaus.

September 21, 1907 (Saturday): (Berlin)

It was still cloudy today. This morning I went out sight seeing then came to the hall to priesthood meeting. Here we had a very good spirit and enjoyed ourselves very much. I met Bro. Holdiway who is in Berlin studying music. He told me that I could meet Tracy* by going to the Royal Opera House. I met him there all right. He was with Lary Clayton and Emma Lucy Gates. I believe I liked the play tonight better than the one last night. (# Sampson and Delilah)

*Tracy Y. Cannon was Ed’s half-brother, the son of George Q. Cannon and Caroline Young Cannon. He was 7 years older than Ed.

September 22, 1907 (Sunday): (Berlin)

The sun was shining making it quite a pretty day. This morning I went to Tracy’s apartment and from there to Alfred Best’s. Here I met Mr. Best but his wife was not up. Tracy and I then went to see the Tier Garden and from there to the Kings Stables. This is a very interesting place. They have hundreds of fine horses and carriages. They are kept in a building almost as grand as a palace. We attended Church in the afternoon and from there with Miss Gates, Fem Giles, and Mr. and Mrs. Best we went to the Rheine Gold Resteraunt for supper. This is the largest wine resturant in the world. There are about twelve large rooms, all finished in different styles of wood and design and there is one very large spacious room with a balcony at one end where sit about twenty musicians every night. From there we all went to Mr. Best’s lodgings where we spent a very enjoyable evening in talking and listening to stories. In all I have spent the pleasantest day I have had since leaving home.

September 23, 1907 (Monday): (Berlin, Konigsberg)

I left Berlin from the Alexander Platz Depot at 933 am for Konigsberg/Pr*. And arrived at 714 p.m. I was met at the train by Elder Stanley Kimball. Bro. Joseph Spencer is the president of this conference. Bro. Spencer and I went to Choir practice. He has assigned me to the Tilset** branch. I am staying with Bro’s. Spencer and Kimball.

*Konigbsberg, East Prussia is now Kaliningrad, Russia.
**Tilsit, East Prussia is now Sowjetsk, Russia.

September 24, 1907 (Tuesday): (Konigsberg)

The weather was quite cloudy today. I went with Bro. Kimball this morning to see about getting my trunk. After a lot of red tape we succeeded in sending it on to Tilset. We did some shopping after which we called on some of the saints. This evening Bro. Kimball and I went out to see a little of the town and latter went to one of the saints for supper. (Sister Hoffman)

September 25, 1907 (Wednesday): (Konigsberg, Tilsit)

It was a very fine day today. I left Konigsberg at 1001 am for Tilsit. I was met at the depot by Elder Hermann Babbel who has charge of the branch in Tilsit. He can’t speak any english so I have to make him understand the best I can in German. This afternoon we went to visit some saints. It looks like this will by my home home for some time now.

No comments:

Post a Comment