Friday, May 29, 2020

Emory's Indigo Bush

Emory's indigo bush, also known as the dyebush or white dalea (Psorothamnus emoryi) is found in the southern parts of Arizona and California and in the Mexican state of Baja, California. 
It has hairy leaves that are grayish white which helps reflect sunlight. When I saw them they reminded me of the luxurious thick wool sweaters we would see in Canada.
This gives a sense of that thickness.

 It has clusters of purple and white pea-like flowers. They are very small and look like little pin-dots of color on the hairy leaves. It is oily and fragrant and used in dyes and stains. Every once in a while I would come across a wonderful smell while walking. I think it was this plant providing that pleasurable scent. 


I am not certain of this identification. 

1 comment:

  1. It reminds me a lot of sage--soft, woolly, green-gray, and fragrant.

    ReplyDelete