Monday, August 28, 2017

Turkey Vulture - Cabeza Prieta

Early on a Saturday morning in August I was walking down the edge of a wash in Cabeza Prieta NWR. I had seen thunderstorms that night and I noticed a wide and fairly deep pool of water in the wash. I moved closer to the edge of the wash for a better look and was surprised by a turkey vulture on the ground near the water. It quickly took flight and I didn't get any pictures. However, later I saw the vulture flying in the same vicinity while driving down a dirt road and stopped to find it perched on a dead tree limb. 


I got a number of pictures of it perched as well as flying. 


It can't help but think that the turkey vulture was the inspiration for Voldemort in the Harry Potter series. Their faces look similar and the turkey vulture has a very guttural hissing noise that sounds Voldemort like. They are very interesting birds that I always look forward to seeing. 

1 comment: