Friday, June 20, 2014

Tropical House Gecko

The tropical house gecko is a species of house gecko (I previously did a post on the common house gecko) native to Sub-Saharan Africa, but it has inadvertently been spread to North, Central and South America and the Caribbean. Its maximum length is about five inches and it is noctural. 
Tropical house gecko on wall of room in Serena Mara Lodge.
It eats spiders, scorpians, anoles, cockroaches, moths and other insects. We had them as residents on our walls in two lodges: (1) Sarova Lion Hill Lodge in Nakuru NP; and (2) Serena Mara Lodge in Masai Mara. I caught the one in our room in Masai Mara, examined it, then let it back go. I was reminded again of my Mom in Hawaii asking us to catch geckos and let them go in the house because they would eat the bugs. We regularly saw geckos scampering along our walls in Hawaii. 
Perspective on how big it is by seeing it in my hands. 

1 comment:

  1. I have grown to love geckos--quiet, still, and unassuming. This one looked a bit like a rubber toy.

    ReplyDelete