Saturday, February 6, 2010

Sour Pickles and Pickled Vegetables

I've previously detailed Andrew's home-made sauerkraut and olives. When I was at his place on Saturday I had some more related treats. I had a little more sauerkraut, which I took home with me. But I also got to try a new delight: pickled vegetables. It was in a familiar looking bucket with orangish colored liquid.
Andrew scooped out broccoli, cauliflower, onions, brussel sprouts and other morsels that had been marinating. So far, I have loved everything but the brussel sprouts, which the pickling does not seem to have much impact on. I'll still take my brussels heavily boiled with lots of butter and salt or English mustard.

The next bucket, with a clear liquid was full of small onions and another cabbage-like vegetable I do not recall the name of. I quite like the marinated onions.

Andrew and a jar full of pickled vegetable and sauerkraut.
Finally, I was shocked to see he was doing sour pickles. He explained to me that sour pickles are made differently than regular pickles. Apparently sour pickles are found in New York among the Jewish community and are made through a different process than regular dill pickles.

I am amazed at his experimentations.

I had some sour pickle and brought some home. It is crisper, more like a cucumber, than a regular pickle. I liked it, but I grew up on dill pickles and love the taste. This was a new taste for me that will take some getting used to.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I've been eating so much saurkraut recently. My favorite combo has been sauteed saurkraut mixed with gnoki in a cheese sauce. MMM

    ReplyDelete