Sunday, February 7, 2010

EQC: German Mission - Dessau (February to May 1909)

After spending 7 months in Tilsit, 3 months in Konigsberg (ending when he was banished from the Kingdom of Prussia), 5 ½ months in Leipzig and 1 ½ months in Magdeburg (ending when a fellow missionary was banished), Edwin Q. Cannon was transferred to Dessau, capital of the Duchy of Anhalt, outside the Kingdom of Prussia. Dessau is located at the junction of the Mulde and Elbe Rivers. Ed worked in Dessau from February 27, 1907 to May 23, 1907, about two and a half months, when he was transferred to Bernburg. Giving further hints of the problems that resulted in his transfer from Magdeburg, on May 12th, Ed went with President McKay and Brother Felt, the Leipzig Conference president, to Magdeburg to the American Consul to “look in to the matter of Bro Friederick’s being imprisoned. He treated us very well and Bro. McKay was able to explain a great deal about us and our people.” Ed and President McKay visited a number of “friends” (investigators) and “found them all waked up and interested through the little trouble which they have had.”


Unlike his prior area, Ed had no problem finding a place to stay, doing so his first day. A week later he reported to the police station, presumably to register. On March 22nd, he went to Berlin to see his half-brother, Espey Cannon, for the fourth time. It appears Espey was initially a missionary and then, later, a student.

While Ed was in Dessau, President Serge F. Ballif was released and Thomas E. McKay came in as the new mission president.

There is nothing particularly unusual that happened during this period. Ed visited Sister Liebenow at least 31 times. So it appears Dessau must have been very small in terms of number of members and Ed appears to have been companion-less. He did manage to get together with missionaries in other cities on occasion. On May 13th, he “spent the day packing [his] trunk.” On May 17th, he was “appointed to work in Bernburg” and on May 23rd he “left for Bernburg.”

February 27, 1909 (Saturday): (Berlin, Dessau)

I left Berlin at 8:30 this morning and came to Dessau. This afternoon I found a room in Kavalierstr 23rd bei Wingold then I visited 4 families of friends to invite them to meeting this evening. I ate supper with Sister Liebenow and just two friends showed up for the meeting.

February 28, 1909 (Sunday): (Dessau)

I went over to Sister Liebenow’s for my suitcase this forenoon and spent the rest of the time this fore and afternoon reading. This evening I held a small cottage meeting at Sister Lilbenow’s.

March 1, 1909 (Monday): (Dessau)

I spent the day at home on account of not having any tracts. My trunk has not arrived and they are all in it.

March 2, 1909 (Tuesday):  (Dessau)

I took a walk this forenoon and this afternoon and evening I stayed home and studied. My trunk came this evening. It has snowed all day.

March 3, 1909 (Wednesday): (Dessau)

I remained at home this morning and studied. This afternoon I tracted and visited Sister Rosenthal who is in the Hospital. This evening I visited a friend in the Chapon Str. and had a good gospel conversation with him.

March 4, 1909 (Thursday): (Dessau)

I spent the forenoon at the room working. This afternoon I tracted. This evening I went to a moving picture show. The program was quite interesting as they had one set showing the dam break on the Elbe and the resulting flood.

March 5, 1909 (Friday): (Dessau)

I went to the police station then took a walkout in the country this morning. This afternoon I tracted and visited a friend. This evening I visited a family of saints, Bro. Liebenow.

March 6, 1909 (Saturday): (Dessau)

I went to the “Volks Bad” this morning. This afternoon I visited Sister Rosenthal in the “Klinik” and this evening I visited Sister Liebenow. The rest of the day I spent writing letters and reading.

March 7, 1909 (Sunday): (Dessau)

This forenoon I took a walk to Wallwitz hafen and back. This afternoon I started to visit a friend but met him on the street right after I came out of he house so I didn’t go there. I spent he evening at Sister Liebenow’s.

March 8, 1909 (Monday): (Dessau)

I spent the forenoon at home working. This afternoon I visited the public Library with a man that I have met where I eat dinner, an then I visited Fran Wiechmann. I spent the evening at home.

March 9, 1909 (Tuesday): (Dessau)

I started to go tracting this forenoon, but I saw so many people on the market that I decided to wait until this afternoon and I took a walk instead. After dinner I went to the library with my new friend from the “passion.” This afternoon I tracted. This evening I visited the friend in Chapon Str.

March 10, 1909 (Wednesday): (Dessau)

This forenoon I went through the “Schulteiss Brauerei” and it was a very interesting experience. I saw all stages of the brewing of the beer and the bottling and kegging of it. The cleanliness of the place and the cleanly way of handling the beer is remarkable. Late this afternoon I went tracting. This evening I visited Sister Liebenow then Fran Wiechmann.

March 11, 1909 (Thursday): (Dessau)

I tracted this fore- and afternoon. This evening I went to a moving picture.

March 12, 1909 (Friday): (Dessau)

I tracted both fore- and afternoon today, and made two first visits. I spent the evening at home.

March 13, 1909 (Saturday): (Dessau)

I bathed this morning and spent the afternoon in the public reading room and at home. This evening I visited Sister Liebenow.

March 14, 1909 (Sunday): (Dessau)

I spent the forenoon at home. This afternoon I took a walk out to the Mausoleum Park. Then spent the rest of the time at home. I visited Sister Liebenow this evening.

March 15, 1909 (Monday): (Dessau)

This morning I received a letter from Sylvester telling of Mary Alice’s death*.

*Sylvester Cannon was Ed’s half-brother serving as mission president of the Netherlands Mission. Ed had previously visited him in Rotterdam on his way to the mission field. Mary Alice Hoagland Cannon was Sylvester’s sister, Ed’s half-sister.

March 16, 1909 (Tuesday): (Dessau)

I tracted both fore- and afternoon. This afternoon I spent a couple of hours in the public reading room, reading. I spent the evening at home.

March 17, 1909 (Wednesday): (Dessau)

I tracted this forenoon. This afternoon I visited Frau Wiechman and this evening Sister Liebenow.

March 18, 1909 (Thursday): (Dessau)

I tracted both fore- and afternoon today. After dinner I went to the public library and read a while. I spent the evening at home.

March 19, 1909 (Friday): (Dessau)

I received word from Ada C.* that Aunt Elizabeth Webb died some time ago. We have received word that Brother Thomas McKay** has taken Brother Serge F. Ballif’s place as president of this mission. I spent the forenoon at home reading. This afternoon I went to the reading room for a while then went tracting. This evening I visited Sister Rosenthal in the “Klinik” and Herrn Kretchman in the Chapon Str.

*Emily Ada Croxall Cannon was the daughter of Carley Young and Mark Croxall. Carley later married George Q. Cannon and Ada was adopted by him. Ada married William Tenney Cannon, Ed’s full brother.

**Thomas E. McKay was born on October 25, 1875. His brother was David O. McKay, the 9th president of the LDS Church. He graduated from the University of Utah in 1899 and then served a mission in Switzerland and Germany where he presided over the Frankfurt Conference for three months. He taught at the Weber Academy and Agricultural College of Utah and was later the superintendent of Weber County Schools. He was called to preside over the Swiss German from 1909 to 1912. He served one term in the Utah House of Representatives for Weber County and served as president of the Ogden Stake. In 1941 he was called as an Assistant to the Quorum of the Twelve where he served for 17 years until his death in 1958. His daughter, Fawn M. Brodie, was a professor of history at UCLA and wrote the book, No Man Knows My History, for which she was excommunicated.

March 20, 1909 (Saturday): (Dessau)

I bathed this forenoon and this afternoon. I took a walk out into the country. I saw a herd of six deer. This evening I visited Sister Liebenow.

March 21, 1909 (Sunday): (Dessau, Magdeburg)

I left for Magdeburg at 10:45 A.M. and met Bro. Friederick at Bahnhof Str #8. We went to visit Fran Wadel but she wasn’t home so we went through the Emperor Friederick Museum. At 5 P.M. we went to services in the “Dom.” This evening Bro. Friederick held a cottage meeting at one of the friends and there were five present.

March 22, 1909 (Monday): (Magdeburg, Berlin)

I left Magdeburg at 6:55 A.M. for Berlin and upon arrival went out to Espy’s and found him sick in bed. While there Bro. Andrew Jensen, Ass’t Church Hist*., came to visit him. We had quite a pleasant conversation. After Bro. Jensen left I went up town to the “Kömgliche Biebliotek” to get a certificate. Epps, showing that he had no books out and from there I went to the “zueghaus” (Arsenal). This is a very interesting place. The ground floor is taken up with an artillery collection and collections model-plans of different French fortresses and battles of the Franco Prussian War. The Artillery Collection includes cannon of every description up to the time of the Franco Prussian War. The upper story is occupied by the Hall of Fame and a collection of almost everything used in war from the 15th Century to 1871. In the collection is Napoleon’s hat and two pistols, captured at Waterloo and swords of Welligon and Blücher. The Hall of Fame contains very beautiful paintings illustrating different historical events in German History. After leaving the “Zeughans” I ate dinner and had a hair cut then went out to Schöneberg but Epps wasn’t home so I went over to Sybella Clayton’s and found him there. (He had recovered sufficiently to get up this afternoon.) We remained there until about 7:45 P.M. then returned home and spent the evening there. While at Sybella’s Colonel Clayton and Emma Lucy Gates arrived.

*Andrew Jensen was age 58 at this time. He published the four volume Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia, one volume of which had been published at this time. In the 1890s he collected extensive material on the Mountain Meadows Massacre which were not available to the public until recently when they were accessed by Glen Leonard, Ron Walker and Richard Turley, Jr. to publish their book on the Massacre.

March 23, 1909 (Tuesday): (Berlin)

This morning Espy and I went out to the “Technische Hochschale” as he had some business to do there, then we went back into town and made some purchases then he went to make some visits and I went to the Old Museum and went through it, and then the New Museum, the Royal Art Gallery and the Emperor Fredrerick Museum. I had very little time and therefore had to hurry in order to even walk over the ground. In the Emperor Frederick Museum is a large collection of coins but I had too little time to see very much of it. I went down to Landsberger Str 32 and saw Bro’s. Brimhall, President of Berlin Con., Allred and Arnold. I waited there with them until Espy came at 5:45 then I rode out to Schöneberg with him and went and said good-bye to Sybella Clayton and then went to the “Winter Garden.”

March 24, 1909 (Wednesday): (Berlin, Dessau)

Espy and I left Berlin from the “Anhalter Bahnhof” at 9 A.M. He went to Weimar and I rode with him as far as Halle, (He will sail from Liverpool April 9th). I took the train at Halle and came to Dessau over Cöthen arriving at 3:15 P.M. There was an Indian, (Man from India) on the train who was selling silk shawls and handkerchiefs. He couldn’t speak German so he’d give the price in English and I would tell the people in German what he meant. He rode on and I changed cars at Cöthen. This evening I saw Aïda in the “Herzogliches Theater.” I enjoyed the music very much.

March 25, 1909 (Thursday): (Dessau)

I spent the forenoon sowing and reading. This afternoon I went to the reading room for a while then came home and wrote. I also spent the evening at home.

March 26, 1909 (Friday): (Dessau)

I spent the forenoon at home. This afternoon I tracted and this evening I remained at home and read.

March 27, 1909 (Saturday): (Dessau)

I took a bath this forenoon and visited Sister Rose that this afternoon. I spent the evening at Sister Liebenow’s.

March 28, 1909 (Sunday): (Dessau)

I spent the forenoon at home. This afternoon I took a long walk through the Georgium to the Elbe. I visited Sister Liebenow this evening.

March 29, 1909 (Monday): (Dessau)

I tracted this forenoon. This afternoon I went to the reading room then came home and spent the afternoon here. This evening I went to a moving picture show.

March 30, 1909 (Tuesday): (Dessau)

I spent the forenoon tracting. At noon I put up some lunch and took a walk out to the “Louisium” and ate it. I went to the reading room a while then came home and read until 5:30 then I got ready and went to “Tanhäser” in the “Hof Theater.” The Opera was grand.

March 31, 1909 (Wednesday): (Dessau)

I tracted this forenoon. This afternoon. This afternoon I visited Fran Wiechman and Family Mette and this evening I visited Sister Liebenow.

April 1, 1909 (Thursday): (Dessau)

I remained home and worked this morning. This afternoon I tracted and had two visits. This evening I went out to visit Bro. Liebenow but he wasn’t home so I went to a moving picture show.

April 2, 1909 (Friday): (Dessau)

I spent most of the forenoon at home working but went tracting for a while. This afternoon I tracted and visited a friend. I spent the evening at home.

April 3, 1909 (Saturday): (Dessau)

I went to the “Bad Amstalt” this morning. This afternoon I spent most of the time in the reading room. I visited Schwester Liebenow this evening.

April 4, 1909 (Sunday): (Dessau)

I visited Sister Rosenthal this morning then took a long walk in the direction toward Leipsic. This evening we held a sacrament meeting as Sister Liebenow’s.

April 5, 1909 (Monday): (Dessau)

I remained at home and studied this morning. This afternoon I tracted part of the time and spent the rest in the reading room. This evening I visited a family of friends for the first time. After visiting them I went to a moving picture show.

April 6, 1909 (Tuesday): (Dessau)

I tracted this forenoon. This afternoon I visited the Mette family, Fran Wiechman, Herrn Grossmann and a shoemaker. I went to “Joseph in Egypt” in the Court Theatre. The opera impressed me very much mostly on account of the familiarity of the story of Joseph being sold into Egypt.

April 7, 1909 (Wednesday): (Dessau)

I spent the whole day at home writing. This evening I visited Sister Liebenow and Fran Wiechman was there with a friend of hers and young Sister Liebenow, Bro. Liebenow’s daughter, was also there a while.

April 8, 1909 (Thursday): (Dessau)

I spent most of the forenoon at home then went to the reading room for a while. I tracted this afternoon and visited Herrn Kretschman this evening.

April 9, 1909 (Friday): (Dessau)

I spent the whole day at home reading a German story. Today is Good Friday, a very strongly observed holiday here in Germany.

April 10, 1909 (Saturday): (Dessau)

This forenoon I took a bath at the “Volks Bad” and spent most of the rest of the day at home reading. I visited Sister Liebenow this evening.

April 11, 1909 (Sunday): (Dessau)

I spent the forenoon at home. This afternoon I took a long walk and this evening I visited Sister Liebenow.

April 12, 1909 (Monday): (Dessau)

Today being the 2nd Easter holiday. I spent my time at home writing and studying. This evening I saw Schiller’s “Wallenstein” in the Court Theatre.

April 13, 1909 (Tuesday): (Dessau)

This afternoon I visited Fran Mette and tried to visit Fran Wiechman but she wasn’t home. This evening I went to visit a new friend and found him absent. I spent the forenoon at home.

April 14, 1909 (Wednesday): (Dessau)

I went tracting this morning. This afternoon I went to the reading room and spent the rest of the time at home. I visited Sister Liebenow this evening.

April 15, 1909 (Thursday): (Dessau)

I tracted this afternoon then visited Sister Rosenthal. This evening I visited Herrn Peterson. I spent the forenoon at home.

April 16, 1909 (Friday): (Dessau)

I spent most of the day at home studying. On account of being out of tracts I didn’t go tracting. I went to visit a family this evening but they were not home.

April 17, 1909 (Saturday): (Dessau)

This forenoon I took a bath at the “Volks Bad” and when about to dress I stubbed my little toe against a partition and either displaced or broke it. I went right to a doctor and he took an x-ray photograph of it and he will let me know whether it is broken or not. I spent the afternoon and evening at home.

April 18, 1909 (Sunday): (Dessau)

I spent the whole day at home. This evening just as I was going out of the house I was stopped by a man, a friend from Bernburg who is working here in the city. We went to Sister Liebenow’s together where we spent the evening.

April 19, 1909 (Monday): (Dessau)

I remained in the house all day except while I went to lunch and this evening when I visited the Doctor.

April 20, 1909 (Tuesday): (Dessau)

I visited the doctor this forenoon and he informed me that my toe isn’t broken. This afternoon I visited Sister Liebenow, Fran Wiechman and Herrn Mette to deliver the Stern. I spent the evening at home.

April 21, 1909 (Wednesday): (Dessau)

Luke Wright came over from Bernburg this morning to visit me. We went out to the Louisium before dinner and after we saw the Old Schloss and the “Herzogliche Mühle” and took a walk in the “Tier Garden.” This evening we went to the Court Theatre and saw “Die Sühne” a one act opera and “Versiegelt” a comic opera. They were both very enjoyable, especially the latter, on account of the cleanness of the plot and the beauty of the melodies. After the opera we ate supper at the Theatre Restaurant.

April 22, 1909 (Thursday): (Dessau)

Bro. Wright and I took a walk through the Georgium this morning then he left for Bernburg at 11:09 A.M. This afternoon I attended a wedding ceremony in the Jewish Synagogue. I visited Sister Liebenow this evening.

April 23, 1909 (Friday): (Dessau)

I spent the forenoon at home and this afternoon I went tracting. I spent the evening at home writing.

April 24, 1909 (Saturday): (Dessau)

I took a bath this forenoon and this afternoon I went walking and I visited Sister Liebenow this evening.

April 25, 1909 (Sunday): (Dessau)

I spent this forenoon at home reading. This afternoon, in company with a friend from the Pension, I went out to Wörlitz with a bicycle. The “Herzogliche Garden” there is very pretty. Just before leaving the garden we saw prince August Wilhelm, his wife and two other ladies who were there visiting the park. They had come from Potsdam by automobil. On our way home we came by way of the ZieglitzerBerg and the deer park. While going through the latter we saw a herd of three or four hundred deer. I visited Sister Liebenow this evening.

April 26, 1909 (Monday): (Dessau)

I spent the forenoon at home. This afternoon I tracted and visited some friends. This evening I visited the young man from Bernburg.

April 27, 1909 (Tuesday): (Dessau)

I spent the forenoon in the reading room. This afternoon Bro. Peery came up from Leipzig and we took a walk around the town. This evening we went to see “Die Rabensteinerin,” a drama by Wildenbruch, in the Court Theatre.

April 28, 1909 (Wednesday): (Dessau)

Bro. Peery and I went walking this morning. This afternoon we remained most of the time in the room and this evening we visited Sister Liebenow.

April 29, 1909 (Thursday): (Dessau)

Bro. Peery and I spent most of the day at home as it stormed very hard . We visited Bro. Liebenow this evening.

April 30, 1909 (Friday): (Dessau)

Luke Wright and Geo. Merle Taylor came to Dessau today and we went to “Die Meister-singer von Nürnberg” this evening.

May 1, 1909 (Saturday): (Dessau)

We all spent the day together and this evening Bros. Taylor and Wright left for Leipzig and Bernburg respectively.

May 2, 1909 (Sunday): (Dessau)

It was so stormy that Peery and I spent the day at home. This evening we visited Sister Liebenow and held a meeting there.

May 3, 1909 (Monday): (Dessau)

It stormed all day today and we spent the day and evening at home, except for going to the reading room for a while this afternoon and to a moving picture show this evening.

May 4, 1909 (Tuesday): (Dessau)

Peery and I rented two bicycles today and went out to Wörlitz and coming back we rode through the deer forest. We spent the evening at home.

May 5, 1909 (Wednesday): (Dessau)

Peery and I took a walk this forenoon. This afternoon we visited Sister Rosenthal and this evening Sister Liebenow.

May 6, 1909 (Thursday): (Dessau)

Bro. Peery and I went walking out in the Georgium this morning. I visited Family Mette this afternoon. This evening we visited Herrn Kretchmann.

May 7, 1909 (Friday): (Dessau)

Bro. Peery and I rented bicycles this morning and took a long ride through the “Mosigkauer Heide” the around through some small “Dörfer” back to Dissau where we ate dinner. In the Heide we saw a herd of a small deer. This afternoon we rode out to “Zieglitzer Berg” and had coffee then returned and ate supper at the Theatre Restaurant. After supper we visited the “Apotheker” from Bernburg.

May 8, 1909 (Saturday): (Dessau)

Peery decided to go to Leipzig today. We took a bath this forenoon. We spent the afternoon at home except for visiting a “Conditorei.” Bro. Peery left for Leipzig at 6:15 P.M. I visited Sister Liebenow this evening and we read from “Strahlen des Lebendigen Lichtes.

May 9, 1909 (Sunday): (Dessau)

I spent the forenoon at home straightening up my room. I ate dinner at Fran Bertram’s and this afternoon I stayed home and read. I ate supper at the “Theater Restaurant.” I visited Sister Liebenow this evening.

May 10, 1909 (Monday): (Dessau)

I spent the fore and afternoon at home reading except for gong to the public library a while after dinner. I also spent the evening at home.

May 11, 1909 (Tuesday): (Dessau)

I spent the fore part of the day at home as I expected a letter of directions from Bro. Felt but as none came I went to Bernburg on the 3:22 P.M. train. I went to the boy’s room and met Bros. Friederick and Wright. We went to the depot to meet Pres. McKay and Felt but as they didn’t come we went and saw the town then ate supper and returned to the room and found the Presidents there. We went to meeting and I spoke for a while. Pres. McKay’s speech was very interesting. He is a very impressive speaker and he uses good German.

May 12, 1909 (Wednesday): (Dessau, Magdeburg, Dessau)

I slept at Sister Bergners last night. I got over to Schlotes’ were Bros. McKay and Felt were staying and we decided to go to Magdeburg today. We left at 10:40 A.M and upon arriving in Magdeburd we went right to the American Consul’s office but only the vice consul was there. Bro. McKay requested him to look in to the matter of Bro Friederick’s being imprisoned. He treated us very well and Bro. McKay was able to explain a great deal about us and our people. After eating dinner “Pres. McKay and I visited a number of friends and found them all waked up and interested through the little trouble which they have had. Bros McKay and Felt left for Leipzig at 4:40 P.M and I left for Dessau at 6:10 P.M. I visited Sister Liebenow this evening and ate supper there.

May 13, 1909 (Thursday): (Dessau)

I spent the day packing my trunk. I took some things over to Sister Liebenow’s this evening.

May 14, 1909 (Friday): (Dessau, Leipzig)

I got up early this morning and “abmelded” at the “Rath haus” and left for Leipzig at 9:30 A.M. I spent the day with the fellows and this evening we went to “Mignon.”

May 15, 1909 (Saturday): (Leipzig)

We met in Priesthood meeting at Bro. Lüdtke’s Mölekauerstr 5 at 10 A.M. and gave our reports and received instructions for Pres. McKay. This evening Bros. Taylor, Peery, Wright and I went to the “Battenberg.”

May 16, 1909 (Sunday): (Leipzig)

I went to afternoon and evening meeting today. Bro. McKay spoke very well at both meetings, especially this evening. After meeting we went to the Café Royal to hear to hear the concert.

May 17, 1909 (Monday): (Leipzig)

I slept with Archie Brockbank last night. “This morning we had another little conference and I was appointed to work in Bernburg. I spent the rest of the day with Bros. Taylor, Peery and Wright.

May 18, 1909(Tuesday): (Leipzig)

I decided not to go back to Bernburg until later and wait here and go on an excursion with the Sunday school Thursday. Taylor and I went to the “Krystal Palast” tonight. We saw Sylvester Schäfer Jr. the greatest vandiville entertainer of Europe. He is simply great.

May 19, 1909 (Wednesday): (Leipzig)

I helped Bro. Taylor at the office today and this afternoon we and Bros. Brockbank, Preston, and Goates went out in the wood and played marbles. Bro. Wright returned from Bernburg and we spent the evening together.

May 20, 1909 (Thursday): (Leipzig)

I went with the “Gemeinde” on an excursion out in the country today. We had a splendid time.

May 21, 1909 (Friday): (Leipzig)

Bros. West and Stanger who are taking a trip came through Leipzig today and we went with them to show them the town. Among other things we took an automobile ride.

May 22, 1909 (Saturday): (Leipzig)

I helped Taylor at the office this morning then all we fellows went swimming at the Diana Bath. I went to the “Kriegsmarine ausstellung” this afternoon. This evening Bro. Taylor and I went to the Central Theatre and saw “Kümmere Dich nm Amele.”

May 23, 1909 (Sunday): (Leipzig, Bernburg)

I left for Bernburg at 10:27 A.M. from the Berliner Bahnhof and arrived here at 12:17 P.M. This afternoon we had a little Sunday School after which we went boat riding on the Saale. I went to a meeting this evening and spoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment