Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Beef Ribs - Boiled, then Grilled with BBQ Sauce

After trying beef ribs with rub and then with BBQ sauce without boiling, I decided to do the majority by boiling the ribs first in BBQ sauce, then putting them on the grill. This is how Judy does her wonderful pork ribs. First, I used some cheap store-brand BBQ sauce.

It was put in a large pot with some water and the ribs. I simmered the ribs in the water and BBQ sauce for 45 or 50 minutes.
I figured that the boiled ribs would be more tender than the non-boiled ribs.

Next I used some quality Commissary BBQ Sauce to rub on the boiled ribs.

The boiled ribs with BBQ sauce.

Then I put the ribs on the outdoor gas grill.

The resulting product was quite a bit different than the non-boiled beef ribs. The boiled beef ribs were less fatty and more tender. The boiling process takes off quite a bit of the fat. For that reason, they are better for you. There is more of a melding of the BBQ sauce into the flavor of the beef. This was my least favorite of the three ways of cooking the beef ribs, but they were still very good. I can't get past the fact that I love the beef rare and I love the extra fat that is present on the non-boiled ribs. It was very fun to try them three ways and do a taste comparison.


1 comment: