Tuesday, November 15, 2022

North American Barn Owl

I've done several posts on the barn owl previously, both relating to barn owls in our nearby Live Oak Canyon: here and here.  I've subsequently gotten better photos of barn owls in Live Oak Canyon and I've seen a number of barn owls in Big Morongo Canyon. So I'm sharing some barn owl photos that I've gotten since the referenced posts:
I saw this owl in Live Oak Canyon on July 5, 2021 in an arroyo leading into the wash. It wasn't visually injured and could fly, but it wasn't flying far. I suspect it was injured in some respect.  





A few months earlier, on May 10, 2021, I saw this barn owl in a Live Oak Tree in Live Oak Canyon while on a walk one morning. I went home, got my camera and came back for the photo. It flew away shortly after I took the photo. 


This owl was well hidden in a palm tree in Big Morongo on October 15, 2022. It was pointed out to me by another birder. I would never have seen it on my own. 

This barn owl was inside the heavy thatch of a Palm Tree in Big Morongo on October 1, 2022. The location was pointed out to me by another birder. 

This barn owl was in a pine tree in Big Morongo on October 28, 2022, the location pointed out to me by another birder. This is one of my favorite barn owl photos. I like the dark and light contrasts. 

1 comment:

  1. Amazing photos. I am surprised by the amount of black in the wing feathers, and I love the spots on the chest.

    ReplyDelete