Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Ruddy Duck

A year ago I saw my first ruddy duck, on March 4, 2021, at Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge in northern Utah. I've subsequently seen quite a few. I've been looking for a really good photo of a breeding male, resplendent in its baby-blue bill, white cheeks, black cap and chestnut body. The best I've gotten so far was a breeding ruddy at Lake Tamarisk out in the middle of the Sonoran Desert near Desert Center last month. It was quite distant so my photos don't have the clarity I would like, but it was a beautiful bird.


With a female ring-necked duck. 

With an American coot.
I've gotten photos of some ruddies converting to breeding plumage, but not quite there. 
At Bolsa Chica in Huntington Beach.

At Lake Silverwood.

At IRWD San Joaquin Marsh in Irvine. 

And I've become quite fond of them. They are fun to watch because they move a lot, diving for under water plants and their bills are wonderfully shaped. 




Diving at San Joaquin Marsh.


 
A female at Bolsa Chica. 

No comments:

Post a Comment