Sunday, December 23, 2018

Young Ostrich - Grilled

I'd had ostrich meat a few times previous, but it wasn't until going to South Africa that I fell in love with ostrich meat. I think the single best piece of meat we had in Southern Africa, out of lots of good game meat, was an ostrich steak at Karibu in Cape Town. It was tender, had a nice flavor and was very moist. 
An ostrich near the Cape of Good Hope in South Africa.
For a book group I belong to we recently read the book by Trevor Noah, Born a Crime, about his growing up in South Africa. So we decided to have a South African themed dinner with ostrich, eland and bunny chow, which I'll post on later.

I called a good friend, Claudia, who along with her husband, Anshu, own Exotic Meat Market. Claudia raises ostriches and she had some meat from a young two month old ostrich she'd raised. She said it would be good and tender. 

It was very dark and came in small pieces. All I did to cook it was put on oil, salt and pepper and place it on our outdoor gas grill for a little while, making sure it would be rare and tender. 
Ostrich meat with oil, salt and pepper.
It was incredible. So soft, so juicy, so flavorful. Ostrich has shot up to the top of my list of game meats and now I know that young ostrich is the best of the best. 
Ostrich meat cut up into small pieces for our guests. 

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree, ostrich meat is consistently the best game meat we've had. It was very good cook for us in South Africa, and you did a great job cooking it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree that ostrich meat is a culinary delight! I had a similar experience in South Africa, where I tried an amazing ostrich steak. It's great to hear about your South African themed dinner with ostrich, eland, and bunny chow; it sounds like a fantastic gastronomic adventure.

    By the way, when it comes to ostrich meat, have you checked out the ostrich oil price in Pakistan?

    ReplyDelete