Thursday, October 16, 2014

Smoked Trout

One of the delicacies we found in Colorado was smoked trout, purchased at a health food store in Buena Vista. I've previously mentioned ground elk, ground goat and various cuts of buffalo that were also available at the same store. 
I've had smoked trout previously and I think it is some of the best smoked fish I've ever had. Smoked trout tends to be moister than other types of smoked fish and I particularly love the fatty moister portions, including the skin. The ingredients, aside from trout, are brown sugar, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, mapeline, sugar, honey and Montreal Steak Seasoning.  


It looks like it was smoked on a grill (note the grill marks) and you can see the moisture in the pictures. It had a strong smoky, spicy and relatively sweet taste. It was great in a sandwich, the taste really stood out even with lots of other ingredients. It was also good in salad and fantastic eaten plain. 

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you've found a favorite store in Colorado. I hope they can ship to you between visits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Chris, shhh! You'll break the bank!) Bob, I'm sure shipping isn't possible. We'll just have to settle for smoked chicken. (That's what happens to chicken when you leave it on the grill too long.)

    ReplyDelete