Sunday, February 20, 2011

Kumquat

Recently a friend gave Judy some kumquats from a tree in her yard. 
I've only had kumquats a few times. I first had them when we lived in San Diego and some friends had a tree. I could only eat one or two. Since then I've had them a few times and the taste has grown on me, although I can't eat many at a time. I noticed that they are one of the 1001 Foods You Must Taste Before You Die so I decided I needed to blog about them. They are an oddity for citrus because the skin is sweet and the flesh is sour, the opposite of most other citrus. 
They are usually eaten raw and whole, including seeds, so that the contrasting tastes will balance each other. It takes awhile to get used to eating the seeds, similarly to pomegranates and their seeds. 
They are sometimes candied and are used in marmalades and jelly. 1001 indicates that they are an integral part of Chinese New Year. Small kumquat trees are put at the doors of homes and businesses to bring good luck and prosperity. 

I've been eating boiled whole wheat and yogurt for breakfast in the morning and adding fruit to it, such as pomegranate, pear or orange. I decided to add kumquat on Friday morning and I about overdosed. 
I finished my bowl, but I was forcing it down. Like I said, a little goes a long way..they are great for a light snack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment