Saturday, December 25, 2010

Grilled Whole Rabbit

A number of years ago I was asked to head up the food for a Redlands Stake Youth Conference held at Camp Emerson in the San Jacinto Mountains. For one meal, we decided to try and give the youth a variety of foods most would have not tasted before. We had sampling of grilled rainbow trout, marinated and grilled wild duck breast, lamb stew and most impressive, whole grilled rabbit. My brother, Matt, below, assisted me with the rabbit and I was thrilled with the presentation.
The rabbit torso and four limbs were still connected
which let the youth know that this was not their usual fare. So much of our food now days is modified to make it look unlike what it originally looked like, that many people forget they are eating something that was once alive.
It was a great experience. Many of the youth tried the foods and many commented that they liked it. I'm always thrilled when people will get a bit out of their comfort zone to try a food they've not previously eaten. It also gave me a chance to wear my skunk skin cap which was perfect for the occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment