Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Acadian Flycatcher

In my last post I noted that my eyesight is very poor right now. I have small cataracts in one eye and I'm scheduled to go in and have my other eye, which previously had a cataract removed, lasered to remove a cloudy membrane that is enveloping the lens. 

My guides would use laser pointers and directions to help me locate birds. There were many times I couldn't see them and just took photos of the general area with the hope I could come home and find the bird in the photo after some cropping and lightening. This Acadian flycatcher was one of those. This photo below is one I took and looked at at home several times unable to find a bird in it. See if you can find it. I eventually I spotted it. 
Look at the bottom of the above photo, at the very bottom, just right of center. A cropped and lightened photo of the bird, an Acadian flycatcher, is below. 
The Acadian flycatcher summers in the eastern U.S. and migrates to winter in northern South America, including Colombia, portions of Venezuela and Ecuador. 
Acadian flycatcher range - from Wikipedia
In the 17th and early 18 centuries Acadia was a colony of New France that included Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, portions of Maine and perhaps more of eastern North America. This flycatcher was named after that area. However, what was once thought to be one species was separated into about 15 species and this particular bird is not found as far north as where its name-sake Acadia was located.  

It has olive upperparts, darker on the wings and tail, white lowerparts, a white eye-ring, white wing bars and a broad bill. 

1 comment: