Saturday, August 7, 2010

Smoked, Deboned and Grilled Milkfish

Continuing on with the meal I prepared for my sister and her family, I purchased some smoked and deboned milkfish from the Chinese market.
Wikipedia indicates that milkfish is used a lot in Southeast Asia. It is found in the Indian and Pacific Oceans, but is spends some time when young in freshwater rivers, where is is caught and raised in ponds for commerical use. Because milkfish is very bony, it is often deboned when found in the store.
Per directions on the package, I grilled it on each side for 3 to 5 minutes, and it started to fall apart on the grill when I turned it and also when I took it off.
I had the flaky flesh removed and put on a plate. Several people said that the milkfish was their favorite meat of our dinner, which included quite a few different meats. It has white flesh and it was very smoky. I personally did not like it much. However, for me it was because of the mushy texture. The taste was fine, but I couldn't get beyond the texture and only ate a couple of small bites.

1 comment:

  1. I'd be first one to pinch a piece of that grilled milkfish. :P You're actually quite lucky. My first BBQ party didn't have a dessert. Oh my, I am so craving for milkfish right now, Bob.

    ReplyDelete