Friday, August 6, 2010

Pork Belly - Grilled and Fried

While at the Chinese market the other day I decided to purchase some pork belly. As you would guess from the name, it comes from the belly of the pig and is the part of the pig that bacon comes from.
For the meal with my sister and her family I cut the belly into two large chunks. I grilled one big chunk
and then, after it was grilled, had it cut into slices. It was not a big hit at the meal. Most people tried a small piece and had enough. By itself, without being smoked or salted, it is quite bland. My nephew, Ben, sliced the other chunk into smaller strips
which I cooked in a frying pan, like bacon, several days later. As you would expect, it looked like bacon,
and when salted, was quite good. For my usual purposes, I'll stick with bacon. I understand that the Chinese and Koreans have different ways of cooking it, I'm sure spiced up real well, and I would like to try that if ever presented the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment