Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Hawaii Mission Journal - Part 8 [10/19/48 to 12/14/48]

 October 9, 1948 (Saturday):

    This morning we all went out to Kalihi-Kai for their Lahanau Celebration and they really had quite a crowd out. Mike played out on the lawn most of the morning and had a wonderful time. Both Marg and I were called upon to speak unexpectedly. After, they had a luau with the regular old smelly dishes. Tonight we went to the Roxy with the Nichols and saw an exceptionally good show “Fury at Furnace Creek” with Victor Mature.

October 10, 1948 (Sunday):

    After Sunday School we drove Sis Murray, a School Teacher for Cal., and Sis Aiu down to Lihue, leaving Mike at Aiu’s, we went over to the Kauai Inn for dinner. We took the Nichols with us and it was a delicious meal, and we stuffed ourselves. The meal was buffet style. This afternoon we both talked at the C.P.M. meeting, and again later we talked at our meeting. At the C.P.M., I talked on Life Insurance; and later on “Many are Called.” After Church we went up to Soongs[73]  where they had prepared a nine course Chinese dinner - how much better it would have been had they taken less time and attended church. As it was - they expected us to stuff ourselves full of that greasy food, and when we were through, we felt nothing but uncomfortable. The food was so heavily spiced - that you couldn’t taste it.

October 11, 1948 (Monday):

    This morning the Nichols and I went to Lihue to go to the bank, and to take care of some odds and ends of errands such as get a haircut, pick up our tickets for the boat. This afternoon I did the washing while Marg finished off her dresses. The Sheldons invited us up this evening and Henry baptized his son Loubet[74],  and Marilyn Valdez, after which I confirmed them. It was Loubet’s birthday and so they had a combination birthday party and farewell party for us. Chicken and Hawaiian food was the bill of fare, and we absolutely stuffed ourselves.

October 12, 1948 (Tuesday):

    This evening we went to the Fernandes home and there found Sis. Paniani and Pedro Mony also. They had a chicken dinner, and it was a delicious meal. We gave them a book “What of the Mormons,” and they responded much more to it then we expected. They also said that they were coming down to our farewell party this Friday. I believe that we have done more good there than we actually realize.

October 13, 1948 (Wednesday):

    We all went out shopping this morning and Marg got some much needed things - in the afternoon Marg and Sis Nichols went to Lihue and finished the day out, and Elder Nichols and I worked on the books and the conference program. Tonight was Priesthood.

October 14, 1948 (Thursday):

    A busy day - cleaning up the church yard and tonight we went up to Battads and had a real feast. Queretos and Billedos were there along of course with the Nichols. They started out by giving Marg and Sis Nichols big orchid corsages, and after that Sis Battad gave us a 1/2 dozen of etched Hawaiian Flower glasses. For dinner they served Kalua Turkey and all the trimmings. We had a wonderful time, and enjoyed one of the most friendly receptions we have had here.

October 15, 1948 (Friday):

    Pres. Smith and Pres. Weenig arrived from Koloa today, and one of the first things we did was to go up and visit Ben Ohai. Pres. Smith didn’t create such a favorable impression because he talked too long and I am afraid the visit did more harm than good because they were in a hurry to get away. We returned and secured quarters at Sheldons for them. Tonight, the branch put on a Social in our behalf - refreshments were served, and Marg and I were asked to sing Ke Kali Nei Au. Pres. Smith attended also.

October 16, 1948 (Saturday):

    This morning Sis. Louisa Sheldon took Marg, Pres Smith and me out to Hanalei, Haena, and then down to Nawiliwili to see the Menehune Fish Pond. We had lunch at the Hale Aina Café in Nawiliwili - and Pres. Smith and I went over to Huleia to attend a house warming at Chings, and then returned home. As luck would have it, the Chings had a big luau prepared for us at Huleia, and it was miserable - trying to down our second big meal within the hour. Pres. Smith blessed the house. We returned this evening to meet in a combined Priesthood Relief Society Conference. I conducted - and spoke in the Priesthood session, and Marg in the Relief Society.

October 17, 1948 (Sunday):

    A full day of meetings and it turned out to be one of the most wonderful conferences that I have ever attended. I conducted the morning session and Marg and I spoke in the evening. The afternoon meeting was a testimony meeting and never have I been touched so deeply. Jean Wauwaiole got up and told of her very recent experience in winning the hula contest for the Island and how she had to go through two tests, and she prayed that she might do her best, and that she might be exemplary in her actions. Several other young people got up and showed a wonderful spirit. Pres. Smith delivered a couple of inspired talks - the best I have heard him give. After it was all over Pres. Smith went to Huleia and spend the night there at Chings.

October 18, 1948 (Monday):

    Today was an extremely busy day. Elder Nichols and I spent the balance of the day getting scenery ready for Marg’s play, while Marg and Sis. Nichols made the costumes. In the afternoon through the courtesy of Ben Ohai Jr. - Mrs. Takeshera flew me all the way around the Island in Ben’s plane. That was one of the most outstanding experiences of my Mission - I took practically a whole role of kodachrome pictures on the way around. Kalalau valley and the Na Pali coast of course were the high points, along with the Hoary Head Bay. This evening a surprise party for us, and so we had to get out of the way for a while until things were set to go, and so we went up to Kealia to visit the Kubos, and then upon our return they had a dinner in the yard, and presented us with a big glass dish of Hawaiian Art Glass ware.

October 19, 1948 (Tuesday):

    Again preparation for the play along with incidentals such as washing and one of my biggest achievements - ironing seven shirts. This evening the play “Peters Pumpkin Pies” was put on by the Primary of the Branch. It was written and directed by Marg and it was really cute. The gross profit for the organization for the evening was $28.00 which wasn’t too bad. After the play Bro. Haase presented us with a big Monkey Pod Calabash in behalf of the Branch as a going away present.

October 20, 1948 (Wednesday):

    We finished packing and took care of odds and ends - several people gave us presents. Dorothy Ohai a table cloth, Sis Sheldon various Hawaiian things, Sis Runnion forced Marg to take $10.00 and others. This afternoon we cleared up a little packing. This evening the Cockets had a dinner for us at the Valley House, and they invited the Sheldons, Soongs, Kondos, and Haase’s - it was a delicious chicken dinner and was very thoughtful of them. Afterwards we went to the Boat and had quite a program outlined for us. Some 60 or 70 members of the branch were down to see us off, and they loaded us down with leis - some 45 in all. They sang and played until the boat pulled out and then we sang Ke Kali Nei Au at their request. We left at approximately 10:00 PM. Mike had quite a time getting to sleep, and the water was rough.

October 21, 1948 (Thursday):

    Mike awoke at 2:00 A.M. and so I took him in with me and with the aid of some sleeping medicine, we finally got him under. It was an extremely rough trip due to stormy weather and we succeeded in getting very little sleep. However about the time we were to hit Port, we were sleeping well, and we had to drag ourselves out to get ashore on time. Pres. Smith met us on the dock and took us up to his place, where Sis. Smith served us with breakfast. Irene [Cannon] picked us up and took us out to her place where we got straightened out, put Mike to sleep on a cot, and went down town to do some shopping and succeeded in spending around $200 on souvenirs and wood ware. After we returned she cooked us a chicken dinner - we then went to bed early.

October 22, 1948 (Friday):

    We went shopping down at Waikiki and left Mike with Irene. Tonight George and Irene took us to dinner at Trader Vic’s along with the George Knapps. It was a delicious dinner and an interesting place to eat in. We both had turkey, and had all we could eat.

October 23, 1948 (Saturday):

    Irene fixed a big breakfast of waffles and ham and then we started for the airport - we were behind schedule from the start and very nearly missed getting on the plane. They had already put others on our seats, but they decided to let us get on anyway and as a result the plane was about 10 min late getting started. We took a taxi into Wailuku and located at Afoons home. She turned over all of the house to us and was surely wonderful. It was just like returning home. Sol. and Amy Moikeha took us to dinner at the Maui Grande Hotel after which they took us to a show and we left Mike with Tu tu [the grandmother].

October 24, 1948 (Sunday):

    We attended Sunday School in Wailuku, and they surely treated us cordially. After Sunday School, we [went] up to Enos’s for dinner and was it ever a wonderful meal - steak, mashed potatoes and all of the trimmings. I have never eaten so much in my life as I did then. Elder & Sis. Ellis came out with us and we went visiting a few of our friends. At 5:30 the same afternoon, several members of the Branch gave us a Chinese dinner before church. This evening we spoke in Sacrament meeting, and Marg showed a wonderful spirit and I was surely proud of her.

October 25, 1948 (Monday):

    We arose early and took care of incidentals, went over to Moikehas for a huge breakfast of chicken, fish, eggs, bacon, poi and several other things. During the morning I gave Marg a blessing and it was a difficult thing to do, but I felt wonderfully proud to do it. We left Maui about 11:00, and many of the women were down at the airport to see us off - we received presents for Mike from several, and of course quite a bunch of leis. Again Pres. Smith met us at the Airport and we went into town and picked up Marg’s plane ticked, and then again out with Irene. This time we took the kids out to be tended and went to lunch at Don the Beachcomber’s. She fixed dinner for us in the evening and then she drove us into Smiths and we spent the balance of the evening with him. Marg and Mike were accompanied by Elder J. Dale Bown - a very fine missionary and they left at 11:00 P.M. I think that it was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do in my life to have them leave. But I am still sure that it was the thing to do. The experience made me realize how much I love and appreciate them. On the way back from the airport, I felt pretty much alone in the world[75].  

October 26, 1948 (Tuesday):

    I slept in late and took the morning to straighten out my new quarters, which are around at the rear of Molamakoa. I afterwards had a conference with Pres. Smith and then rode out to Tripler General Hospital to take Elder Gardner to have an operation on his ear. This evening I cooked a hot meal but it takes most of the kick out of it when you don’t have company to eat with. I will try and eat the right things in spite of all. I surely have missed Marg and Mike today.

October 27, 1948 (Wednesday):

    I did odd jobs around the office today including getting a start on the annual budget estimate report. This afternoon Pres. Smith drove out to Laie to take Sis. Wilding to replace Sis Ehlert, and we returned by way of the leeward side of the Island. While there, we got some sweet corn that proved to be delicious. This morning I received a Radiogram from Marg stating that all was ok and that they had arrived safely on the coast.

October 28, 1948 (Thursday):

    Today is Mike’s first birthday. Pres. Smith and I took Sis Ehlert to the airport this morning and on return had visit with Bishop Jay Quealy of Waikiki Ward. This afternoon I had a conference with Pres. Smith and we managed to crystallize several things and I came away feeling better than I have for a long time. Tonight Sis. Wintch[[76]  and I finished off the budget estimate for 1949.

October 29, 1948 (Friday):

    This morning I got out a circular concerning the stabilization of all of the officers of the mission, and after that, we went down to the Tax Office. This afternoon Bro. Musser came in and we had a lengthy meeting in which we finished off the budget for next year and then touched lightly on other matters. Bro. Musser will be a steadying influence and is a fine man. I get kind of lonely and homesick for Marg and Mike but time keeps passing by.

October 30, 1948 (Saturday):

    This morning I got up and mopped out my room and then went down to the airport with Pres. Smith and Pres Weenig - they are off to the Hilo Conference. After, I went shopping and then returned and listened to the radio for a while. Late this afternoon I went out to George and Irene’s and had dinner it was enjoyed very much. Vance had some Halloween begging to do and so we went out in the car and took him around.

October 31, 1948 (Sunday):

    Attended Sunday School and Priesthood this morning at Waikiki Ward - the spirit was noticeably stiff and rather shallow compared to the meetings that we have been used to. I met Sis Joe Musser and she is a fine person. Also there I met Wendell O’Bryant, a former student of mine at the University, and I was unable to place where I had seen him before. Enjoyed George Knapp’s Sunday School Class and was asked to take it next week while he is away on the mainland. Irene invited me out to dinner this afternoon and they were surely fine - she insisted that I take about half the chocolate cake with me. Tonight I went out to Kalihi Ward with Sisters Wintch and Hodge and they had their program in Samoan, but it was the same sweet spirit. After the meeting the Bishop forced some money in my hand - a dollar a piece and insisted that we take it. They are surely generous and kind people.

November 1, 1948 (Monday):

    This evening I performed a marriage at Kalihi - Leroy L. Silvo a soldier and now member of the church, and Lillian Kauuku a member. Afterwards I attended the Chinese M.I.A. and gave part of lesson at the request of Sis. Hodge. Had quite a cooking experience - fried butter fish in corn flakes and it was terrible.

November 2, 1948 (Tuesday):

    We (Sis. Hodge, Wintch and Elder Parry) went out to the big new Tripler Hospital to see Elder Gardner who was operated on for mastoid. M.I.A at Waikiki Ward was very interesting - a movie of big game hunting by a Dr. Fronk. Election returns appear to show a Democratic lead in all phases and I hope that tomorrow will show a big change[77].

November 3, 1948 (Wednesday):

    I got the packages off in the mail to Marg that were given to me over on Kauai. At 10:00 this morning I performed a marriage for a half white - Samoan and a haole girl[78]  of La Porte Indiana - she was acquainted with Vern Ebling of Ill. Tech. It seems pretty obvious to me that she is taking him for a ride. After that Clara Kapali of Kapaa came in - her mother had passed away which accounted for her visit. She asked us to administer to her because she was still having trouble with her “mind.” We saw Elder Gardner at the Hospital again and then this evening I went to dinner at George and Irene’s after which we went to the football game between the University and a local team.

November 4, 1948 (Thursday):

    I started on my auxiliary work today. This afternoon I went down to Castle and Cooke and had a conference on the Missionary sailings scheduled in a couple of weeks. Tonight as I was coming in from the office, Sis Doak had prepared dinner for me and brought it down.

November 5, 1948 (Friday):

    Today I began to compile Sunday School statistics and then in the afternoon I had an extended visit with Bro. Doak - again Sis Doak brought some food down for me, but I had just eaten. Tonight I got sick of staying in and so went to a show “Three Daring Daughters - with Jeanette McDonald. It was very good and uplifting.

November 6, 1948 (Saturday):

    Most of the morning I spent getting my Sunday School lessons for tomorrow, and then in the afternoon I went out to see Dr. Donald Miura, a dentist that was recommended by Sis. Wintch and Julian Smith. It turned out that he was the same dentist that went to school with Buzz Sandberg and that he recommend. Also he is from Kapaa and is a brother of Sis. Matsuoka. After that I went out to George and Irene’s for dinner and then to a show called the “Other Part of the Forest” with Fredrick March.

November 7, 1948 (Sunday):

    I was blessed abundantly this morning in teaching the investigators class at the Waikiki Sunday School. I had a freedom of action and speech and the other things were pretty much at my finger tips. Ate dinner at Malamakoa at invitation of Sis. Weenig and then took a nap in the afternoon. This evening I went out to Kaimuki Ward with the Sisters.

November 8, 1948 (Monday):

    Did the usual work in the office, and also made up a Primary Quarterly Report. Pres. Smith arrived late this afternoon from the Hilo Conference, and we all attended the local C.P.M. Conference this evening after the close of Chinese M.I.A.

November 9, 1948 (Tuesday):

    We went to Kalihi to attend their conference and I was called on to speak - I talked on Creation.

November 10, 1948 (Wednesday):

    We worked around the office and got in readiness for the arrival of all of the missionaries.

November 11, 1948 (Thursday):

    I went down to the dock to greet the new missionaries, but since it was a Foreign Ship from a Foreign Port they wouldn’t let us near until the ship had docked. There were 25 in all for our Mission and 19 for the Central Pacific Mission, and they appeared to be a good bunch. I was assigned to assist Elder Beck and his car  - out to Laie, but the car had something wrong with it, and so he had to leave it, and he and Elder Hansen stayed at the Blaisdell Hotel. All the rest of the missionaries were put up at Laie. Elder Fowler and Elder and Sis Crabtree also arrived from Kauai this morning and Elder Fowler was assigned to stay with me. We went to “Fort Apache” at the Waikiki Theater and enjoyed it immensely.

November 12, 1948 (Friday):

    Today we chased all around town making reservations for transfers of some 40 missionaries and it was quite a job. This evening we went to dinner at the Musser’s home - that is the Smiths and myself. It was a wonderful meal of roast beef and trimmings and an enjoyable evening.

November 13, 1948 (Saturday):

    I went to Laie with Pres. Smith to give instructions to the missionaries assembled there. They then proceeded through a session of the Temple, and we headed back for Honolulu. We went out to Tripler Hospital this evening.

November 14, 1948 (Sunday):

    I taught the investigators class at Waikiki again this morning, and enjoyed a responsive class. Immediately afterwards I took Bro. Mussers car and went to Laie to pick up some missionaries to take to the boat bound for Hilo. After that we attended the C.P.M. conference and I was asked to speak - (I can’t go to a meeting and feel safe now). Also attended Waikiki sacrament meeting and enjoyed an exceptional talk by a Major Clayton. After the meeting we (Elder Fowler and Crabtrees) were invited for refreshments a Mrs. Thomas’s.

November 15, 1948 (Monday):

    I went to Laie again for more missionaries to take to plane and also met two planes with incoming missionaries.

November 17, 1948 (Wednesday):

    Left in the afternoon for Molokai, and that evening I presided alone over a conference held at Mauna Loa[79].  I told the story of Gideon because most of the people present were children. The total was 65[80].

November 18, 1948 (Thursday):

    Elder Lundgren[81]  arrived to represent Pres. Weenig, and then we all went down to Kalaupapa, the leper settlement where we held a wonderful meeting. While there Elder Hase drove us over to Kalawao, the other side of the Island - peninsula where Father Damien was buried. It was a real climb up and up and down the sali trail. While there, I told the story of George Q. Cannon’s arrival in the Islands. During the evening we held a meeting at C.P.C. and again there were 52 present. I spoke on Faith. We stayed that night with Sis. Emma Kalama.

November 19, 1948 (Friday):

    Elder Christensen received word by phone this morning that Henry Keahanui Jr. was drowned, and so we got into the car and headed for Momoni beach where the accident was reported. As we started off, we saw the ambulance rushing the opposite way and so we turned around and followed it to the hospital. As they carried him in I knew he wasn’t dead because I saw him move. We were then asked to administer to him, so we returned and got the oil and did it. After we were through, the Dr. came in and checked him over and said “It is a miracle - he hasn’t a trace of water in his chest and his pulse is strong - he has a wonderful body.” A fellow by the name of English who was with him was never found. In the evening we held a meeting out at Kamialu Branch where 49 were present. I spoke on the value of spiritual wealth.

November 20, 1948 (Saturday):

    We held conference at Hoolehua - Relief Society and Priesthood - there were 101 in attendance at combined meeting [and] of that amount 26 were local priesthood holders. I spoke to Priesthood on cooperation, and then to combined Priesthood and Relief Society on responsibility of raising children. Sis. Mary Lee told story that after she was set apart as pres. of the Rel. Soc. at Hoolehua - the Branch was without funds (all had been invested in War Bonds) The presidency met in council and prayed for help. Two days later a man came up and handed her $100.00 in an envelope and said “return it if you make money, forget it if you don’t.” Had a poi famine, and flew poi over form Waipio Valley.

November 21, 1948 (Sunday):

    In the morning meeting we had 211 in attendance and I spoke on the Under Element of Gossip. Had a wonderful testimony meeting in the afternoon and had an attendance of 118. In the evening the attendance was 175, and I bore my testimony. Mr. Day of the hospital was present at that meeting.[82]

November 22, 1948 (Monday):

    Arrived on Lanai this morning and was met by Elder Harvey and Bro. Eldredge the Branch Pres. We drove up to the mission home, and then took a little ride around to the points of interest on the island. Among them were the ranch, harbor, Palawai Valley and grave of Walter M. Gibson which is situated in the center of a piggery. Held a meeting in the evening with an attendance of 45 - the group was very unruly and I did not have the spirit of speechmaking as a result. Had a wonderful meal at Fuchigami’s including turkey and duck.

November 23, 1948 (Tuesday):

    Stayed at Fuchigamis last night and Elder Lundgren and I left for Maui this morning - we took a taxi from airport to Wailuku. Elder Ellis told me about a little trouble that Elder Bird had with a girl in Hana. Pres. Smith arrived in the afternoon and he was all upset (Elder Bird had phoned him the night before). When we got back to Wailuku, we held a meeting with Elder Bird - Pres. Smith called me in on it, and he confessed that he had had relations with a Kamekoa girl at Hana. Of course he would have to be sent home dishonorably. He decided to marry the girl. That kind of took the sap out of us for conference at Lahaina this evening. I spoke on “Troubles should make us grow.”

November 24, 1948 (Wednesday):

    This evening we went out to Haiku for dinner, and then in the evening we had a dedicatory service for the new chapel out there. It is a nice place. Pres. Smith offered the dedicatory prayer. I spoke on “Enter ye in at the Straight gate.” I have been staying at Afoons.

November 25, 1948 (Thursday):

    Thanksgiving day - The Wailuku Relief Society cooked a huge dinner with all the trimmings. The turkey was donated by Sis. Long. It was a wonderful meal. It was decided that Elder Russon should go out to Hana to take Bird’s place and that I should fill in at Waiehu for a little while and work with Elder Castleton. We spent a quiet evening at Afoon’s home.

    A Thanksgiving gathering was held at the home of Grandmother and Grandfather Cannon in Salt Lake City. Those in attendance were encouraged to write to Mom and Dad. Short letters were written by Grandmother and Grandfather Cannon, Ted and Janath Cannon, Mary Barnes, Mac and Lucille ________ and Tom __________. Grandfather Cannon’s letter is as follows:

Well we just had a nice visit with Mike Marg and Mr & Mrs Sorensen, also Maynard and Stanford. We can hardly “navigate” after the heavy meal that Mary prepared. The 27 lb turkey was only about 1/3 consumed with all that so many of us ate all we did. When Marge came in we had just finished and at first Mike was a little “strange”, but although he was awfully tired, he soon warmed up and started to play with Pat, Ann and Katheryn and soon got so he was quite at home. Ever since Marg came everybody’s been so busy that we haven’t seen as much of Marg and Mike as we’d like. I wish we had that extra car so Marg could be independent of the Sorensen transportation and get around a little more. We finally sold the Olds to Bob [Barnes]. When I got the new Ford we traded the old Dodge on it, then I turnd our older Ford over to the [Salt Lake Stamp] company, so we still have only the one car available except on week ends to use the co. Ford. I put in another order for a Ford and it may be available by the time you get home, then I hope we can work out some deal so you can have a car.
During the pheasant season I killed the most brilliantly marked (pheasant) rooster I have ever seen. It was so pretty that I skinned it instead of picking the feathers. The reason I did so was from what one of the missionaries told me about the Hawaiians making feather leis, and that our Utah grown pheasants have more brilliant plumage than the same variety raised in the islands, and that he had the skin sent down there for the purpose. Is that the case? Would you like me to send the skin to you so you can give it to some one that makes leis? Personally I wouldn’t be particularly interested in getting a feather leis, it would just be another dust catcher, but some one might like to get it.
Have you worked out any ideas as to what you want to do when you get home? Do you think that you will take up teaching? If you do you should take out your master’s and eventually you[r] doctor’s degree. If you do, or even if you don’t it would certainly turn out well for us if you could take on the outside sales work for the company. Now’a days it’s almost impossible to get any one with the “know how” and the “guts” to get out and really work the trade in an intelligent, consistent manner. After your missionary experience I think you would qualify on both scores.
Well I’m going to write a note to Jud so for now Aloha

November 26, 1948 (Friday):

    We left around noon for Hana to attend the dedication service of the new recreation hall out there. It was a beautiful ride out, but clouded over with the thought of what we were getting in to. When we arrived out there, we went to the home of Sis. Pelekai, where the group was served with a delicious meal. However she and the other Sister’s were all broken up over what had happened and practically the whole conference program was knocked out as a result. We did carry on with the meeting though, and as it proceeded, the spirit got better. I spoke on not letting the clouds of life obscure the sunshine.

November 27, 1948 (Saturday):

    This morning late, Elder Ellis performed the ceremony uniting Elder Bird and Josephine Kanekoa in marriage. She is a beautiful girl and she has a sweet little daughter (illegitimate). I had lunch with Bob and Jane Cook this afternoon and enjoyed a fine visit with them. They are a couple that, surprising enough, put most things higher than the almighty dollar. A Priesthood and Rel. Soc. Conference was held tonight in Wailuku. Pres. Weenig showed up for it. I spoke on cooperation.

November 28, 1948 (Sunday):

    Had a full day of meetings in Wailuku and a fine spirit prevailed. Was thrilled to hear the Maui district choir sing the Hallelujah Chorus it was about as good as anything I have ever heard with the possible exception of the Tabernacle Choir. There were three meetings during the day and the Relief Society served all the missionaries lunch at the Mission Home. This evening the full time was taken up by the Presidencies of both missions. I spoke on the Responsibility of parenthood.

November 29, 1948 (Monday):

    Took Pres. Smith to the airport this A.M. and met Vernon Romney and wife on a tour of the Islands - they were being conducted by Kay Ikegami.[83]  Picked up Elder Castleton on the way back from the airport and then went up to Wailuku and did a washing, then returned to Waiehu where I took a short nap and he wrote letters. This evening we had a meeting with Rogers Akiu and Edna at their home with regard to M.I.A. Both were very happy at being relieved of their responsibilities. Elder Ellis mentioned that someone had tried to call me long distance several times during the day, but I could find no trace of the call.

November 30, 1948 (Tuesday):

    Elder Castleton and I went visiting down through Waiehu and attended a Relief Society Meeting there. Walked on down through Parkerkalo and had a nice talk with Alex Kaopiuki and he was very friendly, and mentioned how much he missed Marg and I. Also talked with Sis. Kaimian, Becky’s mother. Proceeded on up to the Malulani Hospital to se Sis. Kai Kamaka who is on her last legs suffering from a cancer of the face. She joined a pentacostal church this summer in a spasmodic attempt to find relief, but found only grief. Picked up the laundry and then to Mission Office. Saw Rogers Akiu and got M.I.A. material for the Mission Office. Also went to see Sol Moikeha, and he invited us to come back and see him tomorrow for dinner. M.I.A. out Waihee this evening and I gave the lesson on “How to Choose a Good Book.” Received seven letters from house today that finally caught up with me.

December 1, 1948 (Wednesday):

    We went out to Waihee first thing this morning and enjoyed visits with several families. Sis. Akuna invited us in for a little lunch and then brought us back to the house. We then went in to Wailuku, cleaned and showered, and went to Sol and Amy Moikeha’s for dinner. They had steak and all the trimmings an enjoyable repast. Conferred with Sol on Genealogical work and he was of the same opinion that he was happy to get it out of the way (His responsibility). They drove us out to the house after.

December 2, 1948 (Thursday):

    We went to Wailuku this morning and washed what few things I had, I then packed the developer materials to take back to Honolulu when I go. Was very disappointed at not hearing from Pres. Smith this morning. He had promised to write just as soon as he arrived back in Honolulu. Visited Annie Moikeha this afternoon and then had a conference with Sis. Silva this evening. She gave me some fine ideas and was glad to get rid of the responsibility of the Mission. She served Elder Castleton and me a big steak dinner after that and then drove us out to Waiehu.

December 4, 1948 (Saturday):

    This morning Elder Castleton and I went into Wailuku to attend the missionary choir practice - they certainly do have a fine organization and an exceptional amount of talent. After several of the Elders went down to the Maui Drug Co. and we loaded up on Hamburgers. This afternoon we attended the M.I.A. contests at Waihee with Hana. It was actually chilly out there. We went to dinner at Akuna’s after and they rode us home.

December 5, 1948 (Sunday):

    I went out to Waihee alone this morning to take care of that meeting while Elder Castleton went to Waiehu. On my way John Anakalea Jr. saw me coming and went out of his way to pick me up and take me out the rest of the way to the chapel. I believe that he was actually happy to see me. We had quite an interesting testimony meeting this morning, and also had an interesting talk with Old Bro. Kahale. Attended the District Choir practice in Kahului.

December 6, 1948 (Monday):

    This morning we had to go to Wailuku to do laundry, and we spent most of the day in there while Elder Castleton arranged for a musical program.

December 7, 1948 (Tuesday):

    One year ago today, I blessed Mike in the Wailuku Chapel and here I am on Maui again. This morning Elder Castleton and I went down to the Waiehu Chapel to paint and we stayed there until about 1:00 pm, when we had to get out to Waihee to get the key to the school for M.I.A. Of course we had to go back to the house first. On our way back, we met Sis. Morton and she gave us some soda water and do-nuts. We got the key alright and then went on out to Sis. Wilcox’s to see their new baby. After that, we were both feeling exceptionally tired and so we went out to the Waihee chapel and slept for about an hour before going over to Akuna’s for dinner. When Sis. Akuna got home she had visited Sis. Wilcox and came in with the news that Sis. Kai Kamaka and Bro. Ualua Kealoha had both passed away an hour or so before hand. Sis Kamaka of cancer and Bro. Kealoha of a heart attack partly from the shock of her death. They were own brother and sister. We spent the remainder of the evening making arrangements for the funerals and conferring with their families. Elder Ellis was in on this also. It was decided that we should dress the bodies in the morning.

December 8, 1948 (Wednesday):

    This morning we arose early and went into Wailuku and to the mortuary where, after a wild goose chase around town for a pair of white pants, Elders Ellis, Castleton and I dressed the body of Bro. Kealoha in his temple clothes. Sis Ellis and the Relief Society Sisters took care of Sis Kamaka in a similar way and we then put them both in their caskets. It was really quite an experience and one which I hope doesn’t happen again. The funeral was a double one and was held this afternoon - Elder Castleton conducted it and I spoke and I surely felt the aid of our Heavenly Father. I felt perfectly at ease. Afterwards I had many comments on what I had said - they all seemed to appreciate it. Before I talked, Elders Ellis, Castleton, Glazier and I sang “Oh My Father.” Elder Ellis dedicated the grave. While there we heard of the death of another person - the adopted daughter of Sis. Kema of Waihee. After it was all over, we came back exhausted and tried to relax.

December 9, 1948 (Thursday):

    I met Pres. Smith at the airport on his way through from Hilo - he had been over there with Bro. Anderson the Church architect to look at some property the church was figuring on buying. Bro. Anderson is the Father of Francis Ellen Anderson McKay. Pres Smith informed me of trouble on Lanai, and that Elder and Sis Hunt were coming in from Hilo Monday evening and that I should leave Tuesday for Lanai and then return to Honolulu on Wednesday the 15th. This afternoon we held a service for Sis Kema’s adopted daughter who had died of tuberculosis in Honolulu and had been cremated. Also during the day we saw Amy Moikeha and their new baby daughter at the Malulani hospital. The little daughter was born on Julian’s Birthday - the 5th.

December 10, 1948 (Friday):

    We painted on the Waiehu Chapel most of the day, and returned and found Elder Neeley and his parents at Whitfords. Elder Neeley is leaving to go home in another week or so. We went to the hospital in the evening and later to a show with the Ellises.

December 11, 1948 (Saturday):

    We had volley ball at Waihee and cleaned house in the morning.

December 12, 1948 (Sunday):

    I again went out to Waihee and took care of the Sunday School out there - went into Union Meeting at Wailuku this afternoon and enjoyed a fine program put on by the M.I.A. We had dinner at Afoons this evening, and then I spoke in sacrament meeting in Wailuku.

December 13, 1948 (Monday):

    We went into Wailuku this morning and did a washing. This afternoon we went to Moikehas for lunch and then later on this evening to Cocketts for dinner. Elder and Sis Hunt were scheduled to arrive on the Hualalai from Hilo at 11:30 this evening and so Elder Castleton and the Ellises and I went to a show to wait for it to come. The boat was delayed several hours and so we decided to go to bed and let the Ellises take care of them.

December 14, 1948 (Tuesday):

    I met Elder and Sis Hunt again this morning - they couldn’t stay in Hilo because they couldn’t eat with a lot of missionaries around because of their stomach troubles. I left Maui and went to Lanai this morning where I was met by Elders Harvey, Brimhall, Sheranion, and Horsely. We had a fine talk, and then this evening I had dinner with David Eldredge the Branch Pres and ended up by staying there all night. It was enjoyable and profitable evening.


[73]   Shortly before leaving Hawaii for my own mission, I visited Kauai with Mom and Dad and had dinner with the Soongs. Applicable portions of my journal entry for May 3, 1976 follow: “This evening we were guests of the Soongs, some Chinese people who Mom and Dad knew on their first mission. He cooked up one of the finest Chinese dinners I’ve ever tasted. Chow Mein, Chop Suey, Spare Ribs, Shrimp Omelet, Coconut Cake, etc. I stuffed myself to the gills. Afterwards, we came back to the [Coco Palms] hotel and watched the Kapaa Branch Choir sing at the dining room. They sing every Monday and Wednesday night and donate all the money towards the Church. It was a very nice show, and interesting in that they sang “We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet,” and acknowledged our presence.”

[74]  Thomas Loubet Sheldon (see Record of Ordinances Performed).
[75]  “At the conclusion of Mikes second semester of the first year of his life, they left Hawaii courageously by air. I was left alone without a companion, and she faced the necessity of laying her life on the line, without my support, to give birth to David.” Mother’s Day Tribute.  
 [76]   Helen Wintch was Mission Secretary in the Hawaiian Mission. She was a new arrival on December 3, 1947 when Dad mentioned that she would be a fine missionary. 
 [77]  President Harry Truman, a democrat, narrowly defeated New York Governor Thomas E. Dewey, a republican, as President of the United States.  
[78]  June Marie Husmann, a non-member (see Record of Ordinances Performed). 
 [79]   In my journal for May 11, 1976, I wrote: “I know that in the case of my Father, that he had a feeling he would return to the islands to preside. The Lord prepared him by making him an Assist. and he traveled the islands for 6 mos. without a companion.” In Beachheads, Dad states: “When Sister Cannon and I arrived in Hawaii to preside over the Mission, there were two mission districts remaining in Hawaii. The first of these was the Maui District, which included the islands of Lanai, Molokai, as well as Maui. The Kahului Hawaii Stake was created out of this district in the fall of 1975, under the direction of Elder Thomas S. Monson. This was a very special time for us because we had served there as young missionaries for the first year of our first mission about twenty-eight years earlier. The remaining district, Kauai, was an area in which we had served for six months on our first mission, and we had become very fond of the people. On Saturday and Sunday, July 23 and 24, 1977, we had the marvelous experience of attending the Kauai District conference held under the direction of Elder John Groberg, our area supervisor, and Elder Joseph Anderson, eighty-seven year old member of the First Quorum of Seventy. Garner Wood, the Kauai District president was called as the president of the successor Lihue Hawaii Stake under the inspiration of the presiding brethren. The district was dissolved, and the stake was the tenth to be created in Hawaii. It was good to be in Hawaii for this event. The whole state of Hawaii was now blanketed by stakes. Thus our responsibility in Hawaii was lightened at about the same time we were creating a new mission district in Micronesia. One of the keys in this change was the new stake president, Garner Wood. The Woods had returned to Hawaii after a long absence, feeling as though they were needed for some reason. They also brought a married son and his wife with them. The son was called as the president of the Hanapepe Branch shortly after their arrival. Garner Wood was made district president several months later and then little more than a year afterward, was called to be president of the new stake. (pp. 72-73)
[80]  Dad also confirmed Simeon Bautista Jr. of Mauna Loa (see Record of Ordinances Performed). 
[81]  Ora L. Lundgren was Dad’s counterpart in the Central Pacific Mission, as he was Second Counselor in the Mission Presidency (Melvyn A. Weenig was President and K. Ikegami was First Counselor). He came to Hawaii on the Matsonia with Mom and Dad (see entry for April 18, 1947). He is also mentioned in entries for November 23, 1948 and March 5, 1949. 
[82]  Dad also blessed Helene Nahealani Han of Hoolehua (see Record of Ordinances Performed). 
[83]  Kay Ikegami was the First Counselor in the Central Pacific Mission Presidency (to Melvyn A. Weenig).

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of a pheasant feather lei. Have you found any photos of such a lei? Your dad had SO MANY speaking assignments, and many of them with no notice. He seemed to take it all in stride.