Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Republica de Polvo - Guimares, Portugal

Guimares, Portugal is northeast of Porto and southeast of Braga in northern Portugal. Guimares is home to Guimares Castle, one of the Seven Wonders of Portugal, near the birthplace of the first monarch of Portugal, Dom Afonso Henriques, in about 1110.  

After our castle visit we went to Republica de Polvo for lunch, rated the no. 3 restaurant out of 281 on Trip Advisor in Guimares. 


Polvo means octopus in Portuguese. Octopus is not a popular dish in the U.S., but it is very popular and common in Portugal. It is usually served one of two ways: (1) a lagareiro or miller style, roasted with potatoes, herbs, onions, garlic and olive oil; and (2) arroz de polvo, stewed with rice.  
I got it miller style, cooked in olive oil. By this time I'd had it twice and both previous times I'd had it I liked it better, although this was good. 



Judy got it with rice and I think hers was a little better. 




I don't recall what these were, perhaps scones with honey. 

Guava cheesecake, very light, Portuguese style. 

1 comment:

  1. You did love your octopus on this trip. I loved the decor at this restaurant and I believe our waitress was one of the owners. She was especially great.

    ReplyDelete