Friday, March 26, 2021

Blue Jay

I saw my first blue jay on Wednesday on the grounds of the Texas State Capitol Building in Austin. I was blown away by the size and the striking blues, compared to the scrub jays we have in California. 
I saw another one the next day in McKinney State Park outside of Austin near the Upper Falls, although my photos are not as clear. 

It is found in the eastern and central U.S. and up into southern Canada. According to Wikipedia it has a crest on its head which it can raise and lower.  The plumage is lavender-blue to mid-blue on the crest, back, wings and tail and the neck is necklaced with black which extends to the side of the head. The wing primaries are barred with black, sky-blue and white. 

I was particularly taken by the blues and whites on the wings. 

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous bird. I love that last photo that makes the bird look like he is wearing a hat!

    ReplyDelete