Friday, December 25, 2020

New York - 2020

On Thursday, February 13, 2020, we took a Jetblue redeye flight from Ontario to JFK in New York City, leaving at  10:40 p.m. and arriving Friday morning at 6:55 a.m. We took an Uber to our hotel in Long Island City, part of Queens, the Hilton Garden Inn Long Island City New York and checked-in early. Our son, Andrew, who lives in New York, met us and we took the metro to Flushing, also in Queens. There we had mostly dumplings for lunch at Dumpling Galaxy. We noticed many people wearing masks, foreshadowing the Covid-19 pandemic that would hit the U.S. a month later. We took the metro back to Long Island City where we visited the Sculpture Center, where Andrew had a piece on exhibit. Then we walked to MoMA PS1 and viewed many of the art exhibits there, then took the metro to Times Square and the Shubert Theatre where we had 8:00 p.m. tickets for the Aaron Sorkin play "To Kill a Mockingbird" with Ed Harris as Atticus Finch.  

Saturday, February 15, we slept in after the late evening, then took an Uber to Katz's Delicatessen where we shared a massive Rueben with pastrami on rye. Then we took the metro to Times Square where we had tickets at the Richard Rodgers Theatre for the 2:00 p.m. matinee of Hamilton, an amazing show. Afterwards we took an Uber to the South Slope of Brooklyn and met Andrew for dinner at Java Indonesian Restaurant. 

Sunday, February 16, we rented a car from Avis in Uptown (64th Street) then drove to Andrew's apartment in Harlem and picked him up. We drove out on to Long Island, first to Jones Beach Island where we stopped and walked along the sand on a fairly cold morning. Then we drove to Lake House in Bay Shore and had lunch. I particularly enjoyed Blue Point oysters on the half-shell and raw little neck clams, the first raw clams I've ever eaten. Then we drove to the far eastern end of Long Island and the Montauk Lighthouse. It was not open, but we walked around the point. From there we drove to Sag Harbor, stopped briefly at the Dan Flavin Art Institute in Bridgehampton and then got banana splits at Candy Kitchen in Bridgehampton. Then we visited the Parrish Art Museum in Water Mill before returning to Manhattan where we had Polish food at Christina's. Andrew left us to take the metro back to his apartment and we dropped off the car at Avis and did a combo metro and Uber to get back to Long Island City.  
     New York: Long Island  (Judy) 

Monday, February 17, Andrew was not with us, so we took the metro out to Flushing again. We stopped first at White Bear, where we've been previously, and had their delicious wontons. Then we wandered over to First Lamb Shabu and had an amazing Chinese hot pot lunch. Our waiter did not speak much English and we'd not eaten hot pot before, so we didn't know what we were doing and did it all wrong. It was amazing anyway. I would love to go back and do it right, but it appears to be a casualty of Covid. Then Judy led us to Flushing Ice Cream Factory where we had some weird flavored ice creams which were really good. We took the metro back to our hotel, got an Uber to JFK and flew home on Jetblue, leaving at 5:50 p.m. and arriving in Ontario at 9:20 p.m.