Friday, March 4, 2011

Kohlrabi

Kohlrabi is another vegetable I don't believe I'd ever eaten before. 
When we were in San Francisco recently, I noticed some in a produce shop and wondered what it was. 
I saw it again at our local Albertson's and purchased it, without a clue as to how it was usually used or cooked. 
I was happy to find that it is one of the 1001 Foods You Must Taste Before You Die
It originated from wild cabbage as did cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, collared greens and Brussels sprouts. In German, the word "kohl" means cabbage and in  Swiss German the word "rabe" means turnip. 
Wikipedia says that the taste and texture of kohlrabi are similar to broccoli stem or cabbage heart, but that it is milder and sweeter. 1001 says that it can be diced and used in stir-fry, is added to soup in China and Italy and is good mashed with potatoes or pureed with butter. I cut off the stems, used a potato peeler to peel off the outside skin 
and then boiled it until it was relatively soft. 
Then I used a potato masher to mash it into small chunks. I then added a little butter spray, salt and pepper. 
Judy and I thought it had a little sweet taste and a hint of cauliflower and Brussels sprouts. Judy hoovered down as much as I would give her. She really liked it. I think it would be very good added to mashed potatoes. It would give them some additional chunk and body and a little sweetness. That is something I would like to try with it. 

1 comment:

  1. "Judy hoovered down as much as I would give her." Great description, Bob - perfect choice of verb. I can TOTALLY picture the scene in my mind. It isn't pleasant to watch.

    ReplyDelete