Saturday, August 10, 2024

Nenu the Artisan Baker - Valletta, Malta

Before traveling to Malta in March 2024 I looked up what their local food specialties were. One that got me excited was horse. I did some research and found a restaurant that appeared to be the best option: Nenu the Artisan Baker, not too far from our hotel. Here are some sample menu items that caught my attention: local snails in Nenu's special sauce, fried rabbit liver, Maltese-grown pork belly, spaghettis with octopus sauce, blistered octopus, Nenu braised horse meat and traditional Maltese rabbit fried in garlic. I made reservations for us our second evening in Malta. 

I ordered the braised horse meat in red wine thyme gravy, as did my brother-in-law Stan. It came with some grilled vegetables and some small potatoes. I ate part of the horse meat, but I was very disappointed in it and didn't finish it. It did not have the typical sweetness of horse I've eaten before and was quite ordinary, like a very ordinary beef dish. The vegetables and potatoes were better, but still not great. Nenu seemed like a great restaurant choice, but I was disappointed as was Judy, who'd tried to get me to go somewhere else. 
Horse meat.


I've had horse a number of times: in Japan, in China, in Kazakhstan and in Iceland at two different restaurants, here and here. Each time it has been very good. The Maltese horse dish was decidedly inferior. 

1 comment:

  1. Bummer. It's hard when reality and expectation clash.

    ReplyDelete