Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Western Burrowing Owl - Owlets on Pellett Road

On June 4th I found a second burrow with both parents and three owlets on Pellett Road, between Bannister and Walker, east of the Sonny Bono Salton Sea NWR, unit 1. Unlike the owlets I saw earlier in the day on Bannister Road, these owlets did not scamper when I drove up. In fact, they seemed to be paying attention to some farming activity on the same side of the road about 70 yards distant, which included multiple individuals and equipment. I'm wondering if that activity distracted them and made them less wary of me? 
It was difficult getting the far left parent in the photo and keeping it in focus, so I only have a few photos of all five together. 



I moved my car a little north after awhile to get a different angle, but the parent owls and owlets did not move a whole lot in the 10 or 15 minutes I watched them.



One parent owl was right next to the three owlets and the other parent was off to the left some distance and seemed a bit indifferent.  

No comments:

Post a Comment