Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Western Burrowing Owl - Owlets on Hoskins Road

My ninth burrow of owlets was on Hoskins Road on June 21. They were set back off a secondary farming road and I didn't have a very good view of them. So I found access to the secondary road which gave me a much better view. As I got to the better spot it took a few minutes for one owlet, then another to poke their heads out of the hole. Then a few minutes later I was surprised as a parent popped out of a different hole adjacent to it, then a third owlet next to the parent. Then I enjoyed watching them move about and interact with each other. 
This is the burrow. The hole to the left is where the first two owlets emerged. The hole to the right is where the parent and third owlet emerged. 

Owlet 1 emerges.

Then owlet 2 emerges. 



Then a parent emerges from the second hole.


Followed by owlet 3.


Owlets 1 and 2 venture out and move over toward the second hole. 




Owlet 1 ventures over to the other side of the second hole and does some neck stretches. 




Owlet 1 then sits down on its haunches, a behavior I've only seen once or twice before. 



A couple of group shots, then time to move on. 

1 comment:

  1. Pictures #4 and #5 are the best--one with the owl cocking his head and one with an owl with an open mouth. The one with closed eyes near the end is pretty cute too.

    ReplyDelete