Friday, June 25, 2021

Western Burrowing Owl - Forrester Road (Again)

My third burrow with owlets, I previously saw one, was on Forrester Road. I saw the owls again this last Monday and as I drove up I saw five to seven owls fly up into the air together, some landed again and some flew away. The owlets are obviously flying now. The burrow is very distinctive because it has a curved piece of cement over it. Because these owls are now older I'm having a hard time trying to figure out if the photos I have are of the owlets or their parents. As I came across this burrow I realized that this chapter of my visits to find owlets is coming to an end. 
I originally thought this owl was an owlet, because of the way it was acting. But the more I look at it and my old photos, I now think it is a parent. It has lots of character. 






This is an owlet. Note that it is starting to get white on top of its head and develop the adult colors and patterns on its chest. 




I believe this is a different parent and a different owlet. 

This is the same parent as in the photo above. 



I believe this is another owlet that has developed most of its adult plumage. 

1 comment:

  1. I like the first two photos of the owl with its mouth open and showing the red inside. Very unique.

    ReplyDelete