Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Loggerhead Shrike

I visited Corn Springs last Saturday (November 11) for my 12th visit this year. Different perspectives come from multiple visits over time at different times of the year. It was cool, in the low 60s. It was raining and windy in Redlands, but was sunny with very little wind in Corn Springs. I saw at least four sets of campers along the eight mile road into the oasis. There were four or five spots being used in the oasis campground, then another four or five sets of campers beyond Corn Springs at various places further off the road. It was the most crowded I've ever seen it. Yet a trend continued from my visit on October 31 when there were also other visitors, but probably only a third of what I saw this last Saturday. I saw no jackrabbits, no lizards, perhaps one or two white-tailed antelope squirrels and very few birds, including just a couple of quail. Why when it is so hospitable to humans are the animals not about? I don't think it is just more humans keeping the animals from coming out. I'm guessing that the animals that are there are built for the heat and like it hot. 

I did see a loggerhead shrike, which I've seen one of previously near Corn Springs this year. That was perhaps the biggest highlight of my most recent visit. 

1 comment:

  1. I like that white patch in his wing. It looks like a window.

    ReplyDelete