Monday, September 17, 2018

Bald Eagle

On our boat tour of the bird islands of Cape Breton (Nova Scotia, Canada) we saw quite a number of bald eagles, both adult and immature. The captains of the boat talked about the impact they have on the local bird population, changing their habits to avoid becoming prey. So, for example, the puffins leave the cliffs and spend their entire time on the water. 
I love the colors of the rocks with the eagle. 
I photographed an amazing interaction between two bald eagles that I didn't realize was going on when I took the photos. I was shocked and excited as I got these photos and cropped them and realized what I was seeing. 
This first photo shows an eagle flying, top left, and one eagle on the ground, barely visible, bottom right. 
The next photo shows the eagle at bottom right a little more clearly. 
Now the flying eagle zooms in on the eagle on the ground, which faces the attacking eagle, claws in the air. 

The next photo shows one eagle on the ground while the other attacks. 
Another soaring eagle. 
An immature eagle on a large rock. 

A fourth year eagle, basically looking like an adult, but with some brown feathers in the white head feathers. 

1 comment:

  1. These are some of your best photos. The fighting eagles are awesome, but my favorites are the first and last. What a majestic bird.

    ReplyDelete