Thursday, September 6, 2018

Angolan Painted Reed Frog

The painted reed frog, also known as the marbled reed frog, shows a distribution in Wikipedia that is limited to eastern southern Africa. However, in searches of frogs in the Okavanga Delta of Botswana, I see references to the painted reed frog or Angolan painted reed frog, which is well out of that distribution. 
This photo was by me after I put it back on a reed. 

This photo was by Judy before I picked it up.
There is a wide variety of colors and the taxonomy has not been figured out yet. 

We found this frog on a makoro ride outside Kadizora Camp in the Okavanga Delta. I picked it up, put it on my hand, then put it back again on a reed where we found it. 
Judy in a makoro in front of me in the Okavanga Delta. 

1 comment:

  1. These little critters are the kinds of things you see in books or maybe at the zoo, but probably only once in your lifetime on a blade of grass next to your boat.

    ReplyDelete