Friday, December 29, 2023

Hawaii Mission Journal - Part 9 [12/15/48 to 2/11/49]

December 15, 1948 (Wednesday):

    I left Lanai this morning - had breakfast there with Bro. Eldredge and arrived in Honolulu at 11:00 A.M. was met at the airport by Pres. Smith and the missionary sisters. After returning, I made a quick change and then headed out to Laie with Pres. Smith - I drove Bro. Mussers car. Ten missionaries had arrived this morning and he was concerned with get them settled. When we returned, I went up to the Doaks and was introduced to a Bro. and Sis. Hardy who had lived up the [Emigration] canyon with Marg and her parents.

December 16, 1948 (Thursday):

    This morning I got our trunk and the sewing machine down to the boat (Lurline) to go off with Elder Neeley. This afternoon Pres. Smith and I went down to watch it sail and it was a real thrill to hear that band play Aloha Oe. We also went aboard and went into several of the rooms - it is surely a luxurious ship.

December 17, 1948 (Friday):

    Went out to Geo. and Irene’s for dinner this evening. After that George Q. and I went to the football game between the University of Hawaii and Nevada. Hawaii really was skunked.

December 18, 1948 (Saturday):

    Pres. Smith and I went to Laie first thing this morning to pick up some missionaries to get them on the boat bound for other islands. While there we had a chicken dinner at the Bishop’s home. Had a very pleasant trip.

December 19, 1948 (Sunday):

    A nice Christmas program was held in the ward Sunday School - Spent the afternoon getting group of missionaries down to boat. This evening Bro. George Knapp gave a very fine talk on Christmas. After that meeting, I went to the dock to see three missionaries off to Japan with the Sisters.

December 20, 1948 (Monday):

    Worked in the office all day and then this evening I went to the Chinese M.I.A. for a Christmas Program. I had been asked to go to Dinner at Dr. Miurds but his wife was sick and he had to call it off.

December 21, 1948 (Tuesday):

    Again I went to Laie this morning to pick up Sis Johnson and to take Elders Gardner and DeMille out to Nanakuli. The trip took most of day - got into a real rainstorm going over pali. Tonight I went out to George and Irenes for dinner and they served filet mignon steaks and were they ever tasty. After all that Eve went to the M.I.A. Christmas party in the Waikiki Ward.

December 22, 1948 (Wednesday):

    I was very discouraged a[nd] blue all day there is so much to be done and not adequate space to do it in and no encouragement for relief in the near future. Everything seemed to go wrong and besides I had a definite tinge of homesickness. I prayed hard this evening, and I feel much better now as a result. I prayed that my mind would be cleared and that I would be able to see clearly ahead. After[,] I got up a[nd] solved a problem for the Sunday School lesson right off the bat.

December 23, 1948 (Thursday):

    I went over to the Sister’s for dinner and afterwards we all went out caroling with the Chinese M.I.A. until about 11:00 P.M. Then the group went to the Fongs for Saimin.

December 24 1948 (Friday):

    A slow day in the office - in the afternoon I went up to see Chauncey and Florence Cannon later going out to George and Irene’s for dinner. It was a pleasant evening and I stayed out there all night.

December 25, 1948 (Saturday):

    When we awoke this morning I found that Santa had visited leaving all of George’s kids a big pile of things. He also left me a stocking full of gadgets (useful) and George and Irene gave me a Leather date book[84],  a wallet, a box of candy, and other incidentals. They were surely kind. After noon we had the usual Turkey dinner with all the trimmings. We went for a ride in their sleek new [N]ash Afterwards, and then I had to come back and prepare my Sunday School lesson.

December 26, 1948 (Sunday):

    This morning I taught the investigators class in the Waikiki Sunday School - the Lesson “Why a Church[”] proved to be one which created plenty of discussion. However I felt rather shaky trying to teach in front of Geo. Knapp - the usual instructor. After S.S. Geo. & Irene took me along with their kids out to the country club for dinner and I enjoyed a nice shrimp salad. It is a beautiful club. We then retired to their house where we stayed until church. Bishop Quealy was the speaker. After that meeting I went over to the Sisters home where we had some refreshment and then saw pictures of the other Islands by Elder Shoemaker.

December 27, 1948 (Monday):

    I had a good day in the office today and got a start on the Mission wide Era drive. This afternoon I took Pres. Smith’s car up to Chauncey Cannons where I had dinner with him, Florence and Connie. Ham was the bill of fare and what a delicious meal it was. Afterward we enjoyed a little visit and I came away feeling quite encouraged about the prospects of their eventual entrance into the church. I tried to get Marg on the phone for an hour or so during the evening but to no avail.

December 28, 1948 (Tuesday):

    Another fair day at the office - Pres Smith proposed a plan for a missionary outing to be held at Laie next week and it will work out right well I think. I received the records from home today and did it ever seem good to hear the folks and Marg. I got quite a kick out of the record of Mike. Tonight, again I went out to George and Irene’s for dinner, and while there finally got my call through to Marg. Made me all the more homesick.

December 29, 1948 (Wednesday):

    I had a full morning getting out M.I.A. material. After lunch we were scheduled to conduct a funeral service for Harry Helda who had been killed in a motor cycle accident. When we got to the funeral parlor we found that one of the bishopric of the Lanakila Ward was there also - there had been a mix up and he had also been asked to take care of the services. Well, we merged our programs[,] however I completely gave up the idea of speaking. I had planned to speak, as originally planned, after we had sung “O My Father.” As it was, I was called unexpectedly at first, and it completely knocked the props out of me, and I was left to fumble around - I guess I came out alright though. Pres. Smith spoke later, and Sis Hodge and I sang two numbers. The funeral procession was led by a string of motorcycles clear around koko head to a place called Marma wili. It was very muddy going to the grave. This evening all of the Hawaiian Missionaries were invited to Bro. Aki’s home for dinner. It was Chinese style. There was a fellow there by the name of Zane who talked all night - he was brilliant but about the most egotistical person I have ever met in m life.

December 30, 1948 (Thursday):

    This evening I had been invited to go to dinner at Geo. and Irenes’s but I was tired and decided that I would forego and call it off in favor of a nap. As I was just getting to sleep Geo. came busting in and about scarred me out of my wits - he hadn’t been informed and so I went out there anyway and had a fine dinner. Earlier in the day, I went to Laie with Pres. Smith to see Elder Beck who had had a heart attack the day previous. On the way back we had lunch and also stopped in the Dairy to see Geo. - he gave us a gallon of Cottage cheese and some buttermilk[85]

December 31, 1948 (Friday):

    I had to go down town this A.M. to take care of some year end business and I got down there on Queen and Fort street in the Jeep and the engine killed and I had a duce of a time getting it started. This evening Geo. Q. Jr. came in to stay with me and we celebrated by going to a show at the Pawaa “The Bride goes Wild” and it was refreshingly good.

JOURNAL BOOK 2

    The journal continues in a different book. The book is leather bound with a picture of the Statue of Liberty and “1949” on the front and “1949” on the spine. It appears to have been a gift from George and Irene Cannon for Christmas (see entry for December 25, 1948). Inside it is identified as “The Executive Record and Travel Guide 1949.” It is identified as the property of “Elder Wm. W. Cannon[,] 1560 So. Beretania St.[,] Honolulu, HI”

Numbered pages 7 through 67 consist of maps of Canada and the United States. Pages 68 through 75 consist of time zones of the world and mileage distances (air and auto) between various cities. Page 79 is for “Anniversaries” and Pres. and Sis. Smith are the only ones listed, for Dec 15. Pages 81 through 86 are for “Name and Address” and the following are listed:
    Brown, Elder G. W.     Box 718, Collins N.Y.
    Bennett, Donald E.[86]       9660 99th Street, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Bailey, J. Ralph       167 3rd Ave, S.L.C., Utah
    Cannon, Geo. Q.[87]     5330 Kalanianaole Hwgy, Honolulu
    Cook, J. Howard    508 6th Ave., S.L.C.
    Comstock, Eunice    1731 Kaioo St., Hono
    Melville, Maude[88]     310 13th East, S.L.C.
    McMaster, Viola (mother)    Chiquita (9 yrs)[89]  2877 So. 8850 West, S.L.C., Utah
    McCrimmon, Mrs. G.A. (Elizabeth Cannon Porter)  3811 Griffin Ave., Los
Angeles 31, Cal.
    Olson, Ramon L. & Doris     Chicago
    Weaver, Duncan[90]     6612 Melrose St., Chicago, 34, Ill.

Pages 89 through 293 contain entries for January 1, Saturday through December 31, Saturday. There are entries for two days on each page. Each entry has lines for appointments beginning at 8:00 A.M., on the left side, a line for each half hour, and ending at 5:00. Each entry is split in half by a red vertical line and the heading on the right side is “Memoranda.” Dad used this area for his journal entries. The entries begin on page 89 for January 1, 1949 and end on page 158 for May 3, 1949. The lines are smaller than the lines in his original journal and Dad’s writing is thus more difficult to read.

Pages 294 through 305 contain an “Expense Summary,” one month for each page. For example, in January, Dad spent $23.07 on meals. An example of daily entries are 2.59, 2.13, 1.40, 1.16, .45, 2.05, etc. The entry for “Trans.” is lined out and “Laundry” is written above it. $5.76 was spent in January. Entries are approximately once a week and are generally .50, but one day was 3.66. The entry for “Baggage” is lined out and “Postage is written above it. The total for January is 2.48. The entry for “Taxi” has been modified to “Car Taxi Fare” and totals .70 for January. All entries are for .10, except one .20. “Incidentals” total 70.64 for January, but I am unable to decipher the meaning of the annotations for each.

On page 310 is “Record of Donations - 1949” and two are listed: L.D.S. Hawaiian Mission - Tithing of 5.00 for Jan 21 and 1.00 for Feb 11.

Pages 339 through 394 list “Population of Urban Places” for each state. Hawaii is not listed (it was not yet a state). The population of Utah was 550,310, ranking 40th among the states. Salt Lake City was listed at 149,934, Provo at 18,071, Logan at 11,868, Ogden at 43,688, and St. George at 3,591. The population of California was 6,907,387, ranking 5th among the states. Los Angeles was listed at 1,504,277, San Diego at 203,341, Redlands at 14,324, San Bernardino at 43,646, Riverside at 34,696, and San Francisco at 634,536.

January 1, 1949 (Saturday):

    George Cannon Jr. stayed with me last night and after breakfast we went out to his place and were picked up on the road by Geo. and Irene. We went for a ride and returned for lunch at their home. This afternoon I listened to the football game between Hawaii and Oregon State, and thoroughly enjoyed just sitting back and resting. This evening I cooked a spaghetti dinner for the Sisters over at their place, and it really turned out pretty well. We all went to a show at the Pawaa after that - it was [“]Women in White[,”] a mystery thriller.

January 2, 1949 (Sunday):

    This morning I studied for about three hours preparing a lesson to present to the Investigators class of the Waikiki Sunday School. The lesson was a continuation of “Why a Church.” Fast meeting was held after Sunday School, and it was an unusually short one - they only let it go for about one hour. After that I enjoyed a delicious fried chicken dinner at George and Irene’s - such hospitality I have never seen. I am afraid that I am going to wear out my welcome. They have surely been grand throughout. The Aaronic Priesthood presented a program in Church under direction of Julian Smith. Enjoyed a nice evening after at Pres. Smith’s. Pres & Sis Weenig and missionary Sisters were there.

January 3, 1949 (Monday):

    This morning I went into town to get some supplies for the office - on the way back I got onto the wrong bus and had to walk several blocks to get back on the track. I got a good start on the break down  of accounts for the annual report. Chinese M.I.A. was on tonight, and I attended the class period. While in town this morning I made reservations on Lurline for four months in advance. Among them was mine for April 27th - due to arrive in Los Angeles on May 2 - Monday.

January 4, 1949 (Tuesday):

    Spent most of the day on annual reports - I went out to George and Irene’s for dinner and returned with Geo. Q. to go to M.I.A. They were having a play and so I didn’t go - Instead I came over and read and wrote letters. Pres. Smith came over after that and stayed for a couple of hours.

January 5, 1949 (Wednesday):

    I felt just a little low today, but kept pretty busy most of the time. Still working on the annual report. This evening I broke away from it all and rode the bus out to Geo. and Irene’s for dinner. After dinner I help[ed] the kids with their arithmetic, and then we wrote a letter to the Cannon family.

January 6, 1949 (Thursday):

    Another day in the office, and then during the day I went out shopping with Pres. Smith. In the evening I went to a play at the University of Hawaii called Lysostrata that Julian was in. I went with the Smiths and the Weenigs. After that we went over to Malanakoa and had some pie and icecream. The news came during the day that Mauna Loa erupted and was sending a streaming lava path down toward the Kona Coast[91].

January 7, 1949 (Friday):

    Early this morning I received the word by cable gram that Marg had been delivered of a baby boy last night and it surely took a big load off my mind. It read “Big Boy arrived feeling fine.” I cooked a big bunch of spaghetti up for the missionaries this evening - It was a real chore to maneuver those 6# hamburger and six packages of spaghetti. We left Honolulu this afternoon and arrived at Laie just in time for dinner. After dinner we enjoyed an evening of games and pictures.

January 8, 1949 (Saturday):

    We arose early this morning - I slept with Pres. Smith. After a breakfast of hotcakes, we had a missionary meeting in which we all had a chance to speak. The meeting lasted for several hours. This afternoon we all went to the Temple session and there were 107 in it, the largest single session in the History of the Temple. I worked for a fellow by the name of George Vernon Prior.[92]  Bishop Quealy and his mother were there and they did work for his father that passed away a month or so ago. This evening we had a study class that lasted until after midnight with Pres. Smith taking the time.

January 9, 1949 (Sunday):

    This morning the whole group of missionaries attended the Laie Ward. They had about the Largest body of Priesthood that I have ever seen in a ward. I met Leimiomi Lao there and she was surely fine. After meeting we returned to Loimhuli where we had a lunch and then I drove Bro. Mussers car around the other side of the Island down to Nanakuli and took Elders there, and on way back to Honolulu I took Elder Gardner to Tripler General Hospital. This evening I attended Waikiki Ward where Sisters Wintch and Hodge spoke. Bro. Musser and I offered the prayers and it was almost a Hawaiian Mission night.

January 10, 1949 (Monday):

    I received the particulars on the birth of our young one in a letter from Marg. He was born on Thursday the sixth at 10:10 P.M. He weighed 7# 12 oz. at birth and was 21 1/2 inches long with light fuzz on his head. Marg liked the name David Dana and so that is what he will be named. This afternoon we went down to see Elder Shoemaker off on the Lurline - he was bedecked with Leis from the top of his head down. Pres. Smith asked me to go and visit a Blanche Noonan of Hilo who had been injured in an auto accident. We administered to her.

January 11, 1949 (Tuesday):

    Today is Grandfather Cannon’s birthday.[93]  Pres. Smith came over early this morning to go to a meeting with Pres Weenig and we went over there and it turned out to be the darndest meeting in my life. Never have I seen anyone carry on that way. This evening I went out to Geo. and Irene for dinner and had a nice time. Came in with Geo. Q. who came for M.I.A. Bro. Doak came in and invited me up for a soda and ended up by giving me about half of his refrigerator.

January 12, 1949 (Wednesday):

    I met Obra Pierce and his wife this morning. I guess that must be the first time I have seen him in 10 years He looks much older and is quite a bit fleshier. Had quite a talk with Anna Johnson and she is surely a fine woman and seems to be so understanding. She expressed that it is the things said that we should remember and not the order in which they occur.

January 13, 1949 (Thursday):

    I met a man by the name of Greenwood from Salt Lake today who is a relative of Marg’s mother. He mentioned that he left Salt Lake in the midst of the coldest weather that he ever remembers and that it seemed almost like heaven to be in Hawaii. He also mentioned that the Tabernacle was one of the finest things in the Church and he thought he would like to live here. I thought to myself that he would change his mind if he had to be around the worldliness of the people here. Received word from Marg that Mike had been very sick and that he was on the verge of pneumonia. Thank goodness he is feeling better. I am fasting and praying for him this evening.

January 14, 1949 (Friday):

    Today is Ted’s Ann’s 2nd birthday. I finished up my section on the yearly report today and was happy indeed to get it out of the way. The Sisters invited me over to lunch with them this afternoon, and we had a nice lunch. It was surely thoughtful of them to do it. This evening we all went to the Princess Theater and saw “Lady in Ermine” with Betty Grable and Douglas Fairbanks Jr. What a show it was - surely no plot to it.

January 15, 1949 (Saturday):

    Today is Elayne’s birthday and I am reminded that 21 months ago today, we left Salt Lake for the Coast in the Green thing. This morning I got an ambitious streak and thoroughly cleaned my room from top to bottom and I didn’t receive any mail from home and I was worried about Mike and so I called Marg and it was surely good to hear her voice. She tried to get Mike to talk but all he would do is smile. All was well there. This evening I went out to Geo. and Irene’s for dinner and afterwards the Knapps came out and we had an evening of Chinese checkers. The Knapps drove me in after.

January 16, 1949 (Sunday):

    Woke up during the night in the midst of a torrential downpour of rain and it has been raining ever since and I have never quite seen the likes of it. Attended the Waikiki Ward Sunday School and then went out to George and Irene’s for a wonderful spare rib dinner. They also had Sis. Ryerson and daughter. As we drove in to church this evening, it was like driving in a river - the power was cut off from the other side of Island and all was a mess. Pres. Smith and Woolley talked at Waikiki Ward and both gave excellent talks - Pres. Smith told of Walter M. Gibson and Pres. Wooley of Grandpa Cannon’s experiences. When I returned I found the floor of my room almost entirely covered with water. I had left the window open a crack.

    In Journal 3 (see heading before March 28, 1949 entry), there are several pages of notes from a conversation with A. L. Gonzales, Branch President of the Waimea Branch, about the “Waimea Flood - Jan 1949.” The notes were probably made on April 10, 1949, when the Waimea Branch Presidency was reorganized. The notes are as follows:

    “Night before flood (Sun Night), branch records were given to first counselor who lived on higher ground. Monday - he told son to get to aunts place near river after school. Took Bro. Smith to airport - wifes stayed at home - was on way to Lihue - instead went back to Waimea school and told son to go to Sis. Smiths instead of aunts. Son got candy [?] with permission. Started to Lihue again at Knudson gap weather forced back to Waimea. That afternoon police warned people of flood - put things in suitcase including books. Boy’s Aunt’s home was flooded whole town was flooded. Went into valley - contrasted Saints a church - it is up away from road - often wondered why - was apparent - church was completely dry and untouched - first evacuation point was set up there. People climbed tree to escape flood. Sis Kamaile’s home was washed away - very faithful. Faithful members seemed to be hardest hit. Why? Moral teachings of New Testament - read - the Lord chasteneth those whom he loves. Relief Society furnished food - were best organized group at work. Set up laundry system at Hanapepe. Wednesday morning held service - Saints were so calm - they had lost all they had - Come Come Ye Saints and sung with much vigor. Left on Thursday for Honolulu.”

January 17, 1949 (Monday):

    I received the announcements of David’s birth in the mail today and they are surely clever I think. Also received letter from Ted with pictures of Ann and Ned. A slow day but managed to accomplish quite a little. Attended the Chinese M.I.A. class this evening and enjoyed an interesting lesson.

January 18, 1949 (Tuesday):

    Prepared article on the Mission Presidency to be sent into the Deseret News. Noticed today that a nice article about Pop was in the Church News in the column introducing our Stake Presidents. Was invited up to Sis. Doaks for dinner that evening and as I was waiting to go up Geo. Cannon came and got me and took me out there. I didn’t know what to do and so I just sat [tight] and enjoyed it. After I went back to Doaks and apologized. Went for a ride for ice cream with Bro. Doak and Pres. Smith.

January 19, 1949 (Wednesday):

    Today was a wonderful day. I had a conference with President Smith most of the morning on organizational problems and in it I had the opportunity of showing him how the word “District” had become ambiguous and it was decided to change the smaller organization [to] a self-district. I was then given the assignment of putting our organization into writing so that each District President may have a copy of the Instructions. This evening I was invited to dinner at George and Irenes and after dinner we went to a show at the Waikiki Theatre and saw “Julia Acts Up” with Bruce Sarson and Walter Pidgeon. It was a refreshing comedy.

January 20, 1949 (Thursday):

    Another enjoyable day. I had so many things come into my head on this organizational business that I just had to start out writing and I completed about nine pages today. It will be some task to get the book of instructions completed in two weeks. I completed the financial section, and got a good start on the record section. I received two wonderful letters from Marg and realize more than ever how fortunate I am to have her as my wife and to have the family that we have.

January 21, 1949 (Friday):

    This morning early I went down town to pick up the plane tickets for Pres Smith and Woolley to go to Hilo and negotiate for that piece of property down there. It took me almost a solid hour to find a parking place. The balance of the day was spent writing and I completed the set of instructions on record work. The Central Pacific Mission is holding its Gold and Green Ball this evening in the Tabernacle and the orchestra looks very nice in their outfits of white. Pres. Smith came over this evening and we had a good talk.

January 22, 1949 (Saturday):

    I went down to Klein’s Men’s wear and got in on a sale of men’s clothing and was able to get a brown suit - 100% wool gabardine for $40.00 I also bought some pajamas and ties. I felt rather poor all day. I had a peculiar pain in my stomach and so I took a nap this afternoon and then wrote most of the evening.

January 23, 1949 (Sunday):

    Attended Sunday School - was asked to take Julian Smith’s Priesthood class and so I did, and I met a lawyer by the name of Spackman. All in all it was a good experience. Went out to Geo and Irene’s and they had a wonderful chicken dinner and during it, I was practically forced to go to the football game at the stadium. On way back Bro. Moody got a flat tire. Again this evening I felt sore and so didn’t go to meeting.

January 24, 1949 (Monday):

    Had an experience with postal clerk that got my dander up but made me realize that there was no use in getting huffy and out of patience. This afternoon I went out with Henry P. Ching and played a couple of sets of tennis. I lost both of them but took his nephew on and gave him a good humming. Ching is quite a fellow and he seems to have everything figured out. Afterwards he played record that was recorded in Kapaa from some of Saints there. Enjoyed a fine class at the Chinese M.I.A. tonight.

January 25, 1949 (Tuesday):

    Expected Pres. Smith back from Hilo today but he didn’t show up. However the Front page of the paper this evening carried the news of the purchase of the Hilo property although the facts were no doubt twisted. This evening George came by and picked me up and took me out to their place for dinner. After, George Knapp and wife came out there and we enjoyed an evening of talk and Chinese checkers. The Knapps brought me back this evening after all was through.

January 26, 1949 (Wednesday):

    Worked hard today, but was troubled with stiffness and a sore throat was coming on. Pres. Smith came in this afternoon and I spent the later part in conference with him. He came back filled with stories of the sponging of the CPM missionaries on the Hawaiian Saints. It is surely too bad that the missions can’t get together and cooperate.

January 27, 1949 (Thursday):

    A very busy day but I was held back by a sore throat. I[n the] evening we all went to dinner at the Fongs in celebration of the Chinese New Year and they had just about everything in the way of Chinese Food that I have seen. Pres. Smith and I had to leave early and we had a meeting at Bro. Musser’s where we read and discussed the instructions contained in the book we are compiling.

January 28, 1949 (Friday):

    More involved work on book of instructions. My reservation on the Lurline for April 27th was clarified and room 50# is reserved. Tonight is the Stake Gold and Green Ball but I stayed in instead of monkeying around with it.

January 29, 1949 (Saturday):

    First thing this morning I went to the pier to pick up some linseed oil and it took me so long that the Sisters who were waiting to go to Laie had almost given up hope. Well we did get out to Laie and in plenty of time and enjoyed the Hukilau and the entertainment and took some pictures. The Saints had fasted and prayed for good weather for the past few days and they got just that in spite of a stormy trend during the week. Just as the program was to begin though, it looked very much like it would rain. However the master of ceremonies[94]  got up and told people to have patience and wait until all were through eating and it would not rain. Many people snickered and laughed at that but afterwards the remark was made by one woman that it was the most marvelous demonstration of faith she had ever seen.

January 30, 1949 (Sunday):

    Attended Sunday School at Waikiki Ward this morning and it was good as usual. After I went out to George Q. and Irene’s and had an enjoyable afternoon and talked out a few problems and it did me good to get a few things off my mind. This evening George Jr. drove me in and I went to church. I was asked by Dr. Parry to take up time in his M.I.A. Union meeting. Pres. Smith invited me over for ice cream and cake afterwards and I spent several hours after over there.

January 31, 1949 (Monday):

    Last evening, Sis Johnson was so sick that she nearly had the end - too much sun yesterday or Saturday. Pres. Smith was called out at midnight to administer to her. She pulled through alright and is much better today Went to Waimanalo and Kaneohe with Pres. Smith this afternoon - was down in the dumps all day but this evening I prayed for strength and feel much better about everything. Found out that I was going to have a companion to keep me company and I am glad for that. Chinese M.I.A. had a talent show tonight and it was interesting to see.

February 1, 1949 (Tuesday):

    A long day in the office. This evening I went out to George and Irene’s for dinner and had an enjoyable time. Afterwards I came in to M.I.A. and heard a Negro chorus from Schofield Barracks that was exceptionally good. The majority of the things that they sang were Negro spirituals. Late on I went over to the Sisters home and showed them the pictures of Southern Utah and of the Islands.

February 2, 1949 (Wednesday):

    A busy day - 6 new missionaries arrived from the mainland for our mission and 8 for the CPM. Le Grande Holbrook was among the C.P.M.s. He was really glad to see someone from home. Sister Robinson arrived that knew Mary and the kids from the 18th Ward. I was assigned to work with Claire Ray Anderson and he seems like a high type fellow. This evening I took three of the new missionaries down to the Waikiki Theatre for a show. Saw Red Skelton in the Fuller Brush Man and it was a kick.

February 3, 1949 (Thursday):

    Has been a very good day, and I am going to enjoy the company of this new Elder. This morning Early I went with Julian Smith to the airport to get Elders May, Gentry and Hanson off to their new assignments on Molokai and Maui. Completed the Primary Quarterly Report today and felt better about getting it out of the way. This evening we went to Hallstroms for dinner and we have a standing invitation there each Thursday from here on in. They are surely a wonderful couple. We finished off by going over to the Sister’s for the balance of the evening.

February 4, 1949 (Friday):
    
    Sis. Hodge was in a terrible mood all day today and it looks as though Pres. Smith is going to have to do something about her and fast. She is upset because she has to remain around the office. I put this new Sis. Christenson on that book of instructions and she seemed to be doing alright. This evening I went to dinner at Dr. Donald Y. Muira’s and had an exceptionally enjoyable evening and a wonderful dinner. Mrs. Muira insisted that I take cake back. I let them do all the talking and I told them a little about the church organization and temples.

February 5, 1949 (Saturday):

    I met Sis. Keala at the office this morning and talked with her on the Primary problems of Maui. Afterwards, Elder Anderson and I went down town and I showed him around a few of the places. Wrote letters in the afternoon and then went out to George and Irene’s for dinner and evening. All went well except  there was too much “terrific.”

February 6, 1949 (Sunday):

    A Full day with an interesting Priesthood, Sunday School and Fast Meeting as a starter. Joseph F. Smith got up and bore his testimony and I was happy to hear him express the sweet thoughts that he did - it was worth the whole business. We went out to George and Irene’s for a chicken dinner and the afternoon and this evening we attended a scouting program at Waikiki. Sis. Hodge this evening acted as though she had swallowed a lemon and I am just afraid that it is because of something that I did, or largely so.

February 7, 1949 (Monday):

    Pres. Smith returned from Hilo this morning and with him brought Sis. Hammond to work in the office and Elder Putnam to go out to Laie. Because of Sis Hodge and Sis. Christenson things were in pretty bad straights, but I received a letter from Marg that helped me and called to mind my blessing. I prayed about it and afterward talked to Pres. Smith about the problems and everything seemed to open up fine.

    A letter from Grandmother Cannon to Dad, dated February 7, 1949, is, in part, as follows:

…I’ll report to you the happenings of yesterday which I am sure will be of real interest to you. Of course you knew your baby was going to be blessed and Ted’s baby also. It was an occasion to have two in the family blessed at our fast meeting. Your father blessed Edwin Q. III [Ned], and of course Ted participated and Maynard [Sorensen] blessed David Dana and your father assisted. Bro Van Tussenbroch & the bishopric assisted in both cases. Ted’s baby cried when he heard your father’s voice, but Ted managed to quiet him. Your child made a little fuss but very little. Both received fine blessings.
When the sacrament was over and the meeting was opened for testimony bearing, your father was the first to pop up and I felt sure he would [take] all of the time and it was fitting he should for as he expressed it was a great experience to have two grand children blessed in one day at the same meeting and it might never happen again. He said how grateful he was for the faith of our children, who have been blessed greatly during their lives because of their faithfulness, and he felt confident if they would remain faithful the Lord would continue to pour out His blessings you then in the future. He rejoiced in our family and in its unity and fineness and asked the Lord’s continued blessings on us all. He spoke of you and Marge and of your missions and said what a fine spirit you had shown, and before long you would be with us again.
Ted popped up next and bore a wonderful testimony. He was so grateful for his two children which he felt had been given in answer to prayer. He expressed his appreciation for us and etc. Janath then arose with her baby in her arms faced the audience and with the deepest feeling I have ever observed in her even with a quiver in her voice bore a fine testimony. She said what a glorious feeling it is to love our own little children. She direct[ed] her remarks to the young people, said how important it is to choose a highly respected mate, to be married in the temple of the Lord, and plan for eternity. She said how grateful she was for Ted’s parents and all they meant to her for they had truly and in a wonderful way taken the place of her parents who are far away, and she spoke of the fine family association we have. Your father said that as she spoke Edna Jean wiped the tears. It is truly remarkable what children do for people. They unlock our hears and show us how to truly love. They make us better and nobler. They furnish us with lofty aims, and are a challenge to us to the exempling in all things. The gospel standard is the only true standard to go by if we expect a satisfactory results and real happiness.
After Janath spoke, her grandmother Russell spoke and said what a privilege and pleasure it was for her to be with the families present and witness the blessing of Ted’s and of Will’s babies. She also spoke of the importance of temple marriage and of temple work.
Marge next got up and bore a straight forward testimony. She expressed her gratitude for her children and you and desired to raise them as staunch church members and have the blessings of the Lord in so doing. She was grateful for her parents and for your parents and for our families. She was grateful you were finishing your mission, etc.
     Mrs. Melville[95]  took her turn and after that Bro. Noble and a few others found some time. It really was an interesting and satisfactory and delightful time which we all had in this family experience and I think others must have been impressed also. Good came out of it I feel sure.
…As it was Marg’s father’s birthday, I suppose they had their dinner at home. Your baby was just one month old the day he was blessed…
You have not mentioned money for some time and I told your father to send you some which he did.
Much lover dear,
    Mother

February 8, 1949 (Tuesday):

    Went out to George and Irene’s this evening and all in all was a very uneventful day.

February 9, 1949 (Wednesday):

    Had a talk with Pres. Smith that really set me back on my heels and afterwards I felt as if I was wasting my time and had no place in the mission field. I guess that a great deal of it was my fault and it will serve to make me humbler. I fasted this noon and prayed that all would be well and that I would receive sufficient strength to carry on. This evening I cooked spaghetti for all of the sisters and Pres. Smith and family. Afterwards, we went to the “Wall of Jericho,” and found it a very fine picture.

February 10, 1949 (Thursday):

    A long day and I continued work on this instruction book and it looks as though it should be ready to go out pretty quick now. This evening we again went over to Emerson Hallstroms for dinner and we had an exceptionally fine evening and a very enjoyable dinner. We seem to have a lot of things in common.

February 11, 1949 (Friday):

    Not too much happened today out of the ordinary. I married a couple this morning - both of them being Catholics - the woman was a Filipino and had been divorced and hence the Priest would not marry them. The fellow[96]  was a haole originally from Florida and he came down here in the service and stayed. This afternoon the Weenig kids got into the recreational hall and punctured all the balloons and injured the decorations that were put up in preparation for the Chinese M.I.A. Dance tonight. However, they all rallied and everything went off well.
 
FOOTNOTES:
 
 [84] I wondered why Dad switched journals at the end of 1948 when he still had plenty of room in his first journal to complete his mission. This appears to supply the answer. This gift appears to be the journal used for the last part of his mission. 
 
[85] Mom says that milk was very expensive and, while she was there, Mom would drink canned milk, masked by chocolate, to cover the horrid taste. George sent her cottage cheese about once a month to help her get calcium. 
 
 [86]  Was a missionary that worked closely with Mom and Dad in Wailuku, Maui. See many entries beginning April 24th and ending December 18, 1947.

[87]   See entry for April 23, 1947 and footnote.

[88]   Ethel Melville Sorensen’s mother, Mom’s grandmother.

[89]  Baptized by Dad on February 24, 1949. 

[90]  See entry for August 5, 1948 
 
 [91] In my journal for July 7, 1975, our first day alone in the mission home on Pali Highway, I recorded: “Mauna Loa erupted yesterday for the first time in 25 yrs. It was just a day after we left the big island.” I recall Dad saying something to the effect that the last time it erupted was when he was in the islands and it was waking up now that he was back. 

[92] I received my own endowment in the Hawaii Temple on May 12, 1976, with Mom and Dad and a similar gathering of missionaries from the Island of Oahu. The first session, for my own endowment, used actors. The second session was a film. I stated in my own journal, in part: “As we walked in the front door I was greeted by Pres. Walsh who ushered me into his office, where he gave me a short preview of what we would do inside. I learned that you only do your own endowment once, and then you act as a proxy for someone else. My second time through I acted as proxy for a man born in 1796 named Henry. It is hard to know what is acceptable to write about, because the holy nature of the ordinances and covenants made is made very clear...Even now after having been through twice, the first taking longer than the second, where they used films, I’m foggy as to a lot that was said and done…It is very pretty inside, but much more simple than I expected, and smaller than I had thought. But it seemed just right.”

[93]  George Q. Cannon was born January 11, 1827.

[94]  In Beachheads, Dad states: “During my first year (1975-76) as president of the Hawaii Honolulu Mission, my first counselor in the mission presidency was an outstanding Hawaiian by the name of Clinton Kanahele. Brother Kanahele was always eager to talk about missionary work at stake conferences and was a champion of introducing the Church to Micronesia. He had been a counselor to my predecessor as well and felt that he should be replaced by a younger man after having assisted me for a year. He was released in July of 1976. I had known him on our first mission, and he was a spokesman in a memorable afternoon Hukilau at Laie Bay in 1949. He assured a restless crowd that was anticipating rain because of black clouds overhead that they would not get wet, and in a calm and confident tone of voice asked them to relax and enjoy the afternoon. No rain fell, and many were touched by his faith.” He died on February 15, 1979 and his obituary stated that he “was one of the first two Hawaiians to become a high school principal,” he was a counselor in the Oahu Stake Presidency, was the first Hawaiian member of the Hawaii Temple Presidency and Hawaii Mission Presidency, was a Hawaiian language scholar, taught Hawaiian courses at the Church College of Hawaii (now BYU - Hawaii) and donated his collection of Hawaiian oral history tapes to the school. (pp. 136-137). 

[95] Maude Melville, mother of Ethel Sorensen and grandmother of Mom.

[96]  Charles Ernest Hiers (see Record of Ordinances Performed).

1 comment:

  1. Lots of good nuggets in here--your dad's bouts with depression and self-doubt, his engagement with football, his feelings about the birth of his child, his need to call his wife on the phone (which I'm guessing was a very rare thing), and that testimony totally controlled by the Cannon family. !!

    ReplyDelete