Sunday, May 28, 2023

Magnolia Warbler

On my bird walk in New York City's Central Park I heard several references to Magnolia warblers, but many more to a "maggie" which I understood to be short-hand for a Magnolia warbler. As with others in this warbler collection, I did not realize I had a photo of a magnolia warbler until getting home and working on my photos. However, in the case of this maggie, I only have one relatively decent photo. 

The magnolia warbler breeding male has a white, gray and black back and head, yellow sides and throat, a yellow stomach with black stripes and white wing bars. Breeding females are similar, but duller. 

They summer in Canada and the Great Lakes region of the U.S. and winter in southern Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean.
Magnolia warbler range from Wikipedia. 

1 comment:

  1. It looks a lot like many of the other yellow and black birds we've seen. I'm glad you could pin down its identity.

    ReplyDelete