Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Say's Phoebe

One of the activities that has promoted my sanity and activity during Covid has been walking and bird watching, combined with involvement with iNaturalist. In the past I would always have been excited about seeing a peregrine falcon, but a small and inconsequential bird, like a white-crowned sparrow, was meh. However, now I'm excited about seeing any bird and determining the differences between different species, such as sparrows, is fun, and a thrill when I find a new species. 
I'd previously identified and photographed two Say's phoebes, but a few weeks later, on November 28, got better photos of another Say's phoebe. An Audubon map indicates they are common year-round residents in our area, but I've only seen three in many months of walking. 


1 comment:

  1. I love the delicate coloring. The feathers on the breast are so fine that they almost look like fur--at least in the top photo.

    ReplyDelete