Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Chuckwalla

On May 2, 2020, near Hayfield Road, off the I-10 freeway, I found a chuckwalla in a crack of a relatively small rock. 
Tail and hind legs of the chuckwalla near Hayfield Road. 
The side of the reddish belly and a front leg and claws.
Three weeks later, on May 23, 2020, I drove out to Corn Springs and drove the road looking for chuckwallas. I spotted three. 
This big beautiful chuckwalla was sunning itself on a rock. 
This second chuckwalla was also sunning itself. 

As I moved closer it scampered into a crevice, then stuck its head out to survey the scene. 
The third chuckwalla was sunning itself, then scampered into this crack when I approached. 
A week later, on May 30, 2020, I drove the Corn Springs road again and saw one chuckwalla, at quite some distance on a high rock cliff. 
This last chuckwalla was further away. I thought it was a spiny lizard while I was there, but knew it was a chuckwalla when reviewing my photos. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, to be a kid again, chasing chuckwallas in the desert. You're living the dream.

    ReplyDelete