Saturday, June 20, 2020

Black-Tailed Jackrabbit

I've had some amazing experiences with jackrabbits this summer - and had another one today. On May 23rd I was in the Sonoran Desert near Hayfield Road and had a jackrabbit get and stay very close to me for quite awhile. It showed no fear and never attempted to run away. 

The jackrabbit does not hibernate and stays in the same territory all its life, from .4 to 1.2 square miles. I point this out because I parked in the same spot this morning and had what has to be the same jackrabbit come near me again. I was just getting in my car to leave and he came walking in front of my car. He ate from a honey mesquite tree for awhile then walked about 30 yards away from me and laid down in the shade of a tree. It was about 8:00 a.m. and the temperature registered 91 degrees on my car thermometer.
This photo was taken from my car. Note the shade in the foreground and the rabbit's ears are sticking up toward the right side in the shade. 
I'd never seen a jackrabbit lay down before, so I got my camera and walked slowly toward it, stopping often. I got within about 10 yards of it and took some photos.The rabbit was laying flat on the ground with its back legs stretched out. Only its ears were erect. 
At one point a covey of Gambel's quail started calling from about 30 yards away and the rabbit got up and sat. I turned and took some photos of the quail.
After awhile, the rabbit laid back down again and stayed that way until I walked back to my car and left.
Incredible. I can only guess that I'm the only human it has run into and has not learned to be afraid. 

1 comment:

  1. Such wonderful photos. It looks more like a movie prop than a real rabbit!

    ReplyDelete