Saturday, February 29, 2020

Elk Salami

I have a friend who got both an elk tag and an antelope tag in the Nevada hunting lottery and was able to get one of each in northeastern Nevada. He was kind enough to send me some of the meat of each. 
Elk at Hardware Ranch in northern Utah. 
The first meat item I'm going to share is elk salami. In an on-line article on making elk salami, that particular recipe calls for four pounds of elk roast and one pound of fatty pork shoulder. The reason is that elk has so little fat that it needs some added in. 
This salami was quite strong - I liked it a lot. It is obvious that it had some other strong ingredients in it. It was not extremely hard, but it wasn't soft either. 

1 comment:

  1. I think this is one of my favorite salamis. I would love to have more of it.

    ReplyDelete