Monday, January 2, 2017

Black Bear Diner - St. George

I mentioned in my prior post that I drove to Utah three times in about five weeks. On my first trip I pulled into St. George about 10:00 p.m. on a Friday night to stay at the Claridge Inn on Bluff Street. I noticed a Black Bear Diner about a block away and the parking lot was absolutely jammed. It caught my eye because I'd seen quite a few advertisements for it and I love black bears and thus the name. So I checked it out on Trip Advisor and it was the no. 6 rated restaurant in St. George. So when I stayed at the Claridge Inn on Saturday night on the way back, I decided to eat a nice breakfast on Sunday morning about 5:00 a.m. before heading back to California.

There was only one other person in the restaurant when I arrived. My waiter was very attentive, and although I was still struggling to wake up, I did notice all of the cute black bear carvings and pictures on the outside and inside. I ordered a ribeye steak with hash browns, two eggs and toast. The waiter was nice about switching out the New York steak for the ribeye - I'm always appreciative when servers will accommodate special orders. There was nothing particularly special about the steak, it was cooked more medium than medium rare, was not particularly tender and not in the same league as the ribeye I had at George's (see my last post). The hash browns were different than any hash browns I've had before, but in a neutral way. 
Ribeye steak, hash browns and eggs.
Overall my assessment is that it is a step or two above Dennys, with a much more extensive menu and a much nicer environment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment