Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Infrared Cooked: Red Rock Cod

Awhile back, when I was in Koreatown with Andrew and Lauren, I picked up what was identified as a red rock cod 
at a Filipino seafood market. 
I don't think it was actually a red rock cod because it does not look like any of the pictures 
I see for red rock cod on the internet, but I can't find what kind of fish it is. I think it may be some kind of grouper, 
but that's just a guess. At any rate, it was a beautiful fish. I took it home and cleaned it 
and put it in the infrared cooker. 
I did not use a thermometer and that turned out to be a mistake. I pulled it out when it was still undercooked and it fell apart, 
so I was not able to put it back in again. I ended up finishing it on my gas grill 
and it just continued to fall apart further. The result was a big disappointment. 
I think it would have been a marvelous fish, cooked right, but it ended up just short of a disaster. 
The infrared cooker may not be the best thing for fish. I'll have to try it again and see if I can do a better job with it. 

2 comments:

  1. seriously...what in the heck is an "infrared cooker?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take a look at my post on infrared cooked turkey, lamb, goat & beef ribs.
    (http://cannundrum.blogspot.com/2011/01/infrared-cooked-turkey-lamb-goat-beef.html) There is an explanation there.

    ReplyDelete