Thursday, March 17, 2011

Infrared Cooked: Duck

I've been gradually trying various meats on the infrared cooker. On Sunday I tried duck. Unlike some duck preparations I've tried, this was very easy. I bought fresh duck from the Asian market, so no need to thaw it. I easily cut off the head and legs and brushed it with Hoisin sauce. 
I did not pre-boil it to remove excess fat. I positioned it in the cooker using some long wood toothpicks and twisties 
and cooked it until the internal temperature was 140 degrees. 
One of the issues I need to overcome with the cooker is that the thickest part of the meat is often not convenient for placement 
of the thermometer where it can be seen. 
The duck was a little undercooked. 
I still liked it very much, but Judy needed to microwave hers a little bit. It had a wonderful flavor and was very juicy and extremely easy to cook. It really is an excellent way to prepare duck. 

1 comment: