Thursday, October 22, 2009

EQC: German Mission - Konigsberg (April to July 1908)

After spending seven months in Tilsit, Edwin Q. Cannon was assigned to work in Konigsberg, the capital of the Prussian Province of East Prussia. It was also where the Konigsberg Conference of the German Swiss Mission was headquartered. It put Ed in closer contact with Elder Hyer, the Conference President, the equivalent of today’s Zone Leader. Elder Hyer had been President of the Conference for about six months and remained so the entire three months Ed was there.

Ed’s experience in Konigsberg was quite different than his experience in Tilsit. Elder Babbel, his companion in Tilsit, was a native German speaker, he could speak no English, and he was married, perhaps even had children. There were no other missionaries in Tilsit and Ed had to avoid going to church most of the time because his activities were illegal and his lack of German speaking skills called attention to himself. He appeared to be very lonely.

By contrast, in Tilsit, there were other, American, missionaries that he regularly associated with. Ed and his companion, or “partner,” Elder Hanks, stayed at Sister Kowelowski’s home. They regularly spent time with the “boys,” Elder Hyer, the Conference President, and Elders Gowan and Burdette, who stayed with Sister Bojahr. They often all ate together at each other’s home, spent the evening studying together, or went to the baths together. I count at least 18 times where that occurred. They also went on splits regularly, switching companions for a day. Ed was much happier and his journal entries were longer. He was busier. For the last month, Ed and Elder Hanks were a threesome. They were joined by an Elder John Buehler, who came to them from Danzig. So when they got together, it was often six missionaries.

Ed had his first baptisms on May 23rd, a woman and a young man. Ed also confirmed a girl on June 1st. He was also called as Superintendent of the Sunday School.

Although not stated, it appears that Ed may have had a calling as the equivalent of a district leader or perhaps he was just looked to as a leader because of his leadership skills. This became apparent when one of the missionaries, Elder Burdette, drowned. Elder Hyer, the Conference President was in Zurich. Ed had been in Memel and was traveling back to Konigsberg. When he arrived he went to Bojahrs, where Elders Gowan, Burdette and Hyer lived. Sister Bojahr informed Ed that Burdette had drowned. Elders Gowans and Buehler were looking for Ed. Ed knew Elder Burdette quite well. In addition to all the time together as a group, Ed worked with him alone on at least six occasions. Ed recorded that the news was “so shocking that for two or three minutes I hardly knew where I was.” After learning that no one had contacted President Ballif, Ed arranged for a telegram to be sent to him. Then he went to the American Consul for advice and then to the district police office. After some discussion with witnesses, to determine whether the drowning was an accident, the police interrogated Ed and Elder Hanks. We “tried to conceal our identity as missionaries,” but the police “found a ministers certificate” from the church on Elder Burdette and determined that Ed and Elder Hanks were missionaries and “banished us from the Kingdom of Prussia.”

Not wanting to expose any other missionaries to banishment, Ed and Elder Hanks dealt with all of the details of getting Elder Burdette’s body home. They visited with police officials and doctors, did the necessary paperwork, selected a coffin, dressed Elder Burdette’s body with clothes brought from Zurich by Elder Hyer, helped line the coffin with zink and sealed the coffin in the presence of a police official. Ed then accompanied the body on the train to Berlin.

While in Berlin, Ed was notified that he was transferred to Leipzig in the Leipzig Conference. Leipzig is in the Kingdom of Saxony, also part of the German Empire. Saxony is confusing, because there is both a Prussian Province of Saxony and the Kingdom of Saxony which are both part of the German Empire. Until 1806, Saxony was an Electorate and part of the Holy Roman Empire. Following its defeat by Napolean in 1806, Saxony was named a kingdom and became an ally of Napolean. After Napolean was defeated, the Congress of Vienna, in 1814-1815, gave about 40% of Saxony to Prussia, which became the Province of Saxony, and the diminished remainder was the Kingdom of Saxony. In 1871 the Kingdom of Saxony became, along with the Kingdom of Prussia, part of the new German Empire.

The journal entries follow:

April 25, 1908 (Saturday): (Konigsberg, Tilsit)

Bro. Moser, who was assigned to take my place in Tilsit, and I came to Tilsit today.

April 26, 1908 (Sunday): (Tilsit)

Bro. Moser and I went to Sunday School this morning. This afternoon we went to meeting and this evening we held a cottage meeting here in the house.

April 27, 1908 (Monday): (Tilsit)

Bro. Babbel and I visited Frau Weber, Frau Walka, Herrn Jonikeitz (or Jonikhutz), Frau Hubert and Frau Groening this forenoon and Bro. Moser and I visited Sister Milberecht for a while before going to the depot to meet Bro. Klingler. After Bro. Klingler’s arrival we all went to visit Sister Onusseit. This evening we all visited Herrn Untereiser. Bro. Moser and I slept at Untereisers.

April 28, 1908 (Tuesday): (Tilsit, Konigsberg)

I spent the time this morning packing my trunk. At 1216 p.m. I left for Konigsberg.

April 29, 1908 (Wednesday): (Konigsberg)

Bro. Hanks and I ate dinner with Bro. Hitsch and this afternoon I visited a friend in Sackheimer Hinter Str and had quite a long conversation with the Frau. This evening Bro. Hanks and I visited Brother and Sister Tickelman.

April 30, 1908 (Thursday): (Konigsberg)

Bro. Hanks and I ate dinner with Bro. Ebeling today. I tracted this afternoon and went to Bebel [sic] class this evening.

May 1, 1908 (Friday): (Konigsberg)

I tracted this afternoon and on account of one of the teachers not showing up I had to spend the evening at home.

May 2, 1908 (Saturday): (Konigsberg)

This afternoon Bro. Burdette and [I] took a walk out through the Steindammer Tor and wandered around through the various parks and finally we went through the “Tier Garten” This evening we all got together at Bojahar’s and spent the time talking, there was Brothers Burdette, Gowns, Hanks and myself.

May 3, 1908 (Sunday): (Konigsberg)

This morning I attended a teachers’ meeting at Bojahrs’. Right after this meeting we went to Sunday School. Between Sunday School and Fast Meeting we held another teachers’ meeting. We enjoyed quite a good spirit at the Fast Meeting and there were quite a number of very strong testimonies born. This evening Bro. Hanks and I conducted a cottage meeting at Sister Gerber’s.

May 4, 1908 (Monday): (Konigsberg)

Bro. Hanks and I fixed our own dinner here at home today. This afternoon I went tracting and this evening I went to choir practice.

May 5, 1908 (Tuesday): (Konigsberg)

Bro. Hyer [president of the Konigsberg Conference] came over and ate dinner with us today. This afternoon I went tracting and this evening I went to local priesthood meeting.

May 6, 1908 (Wednesday): (Konigsberg)

Bro. Hanks and I ate dinner at Sister Gronau’s. I tracted this afternoon and this evening Bro. Hanks and I visited Sister Gehrke.

May 7, 1908 (Thursday): (Konigsberg)

Bro. Hanks and I prepared our dinner at home today. Sister Kowalowski’s birthday was today and she had a few of her friends to coffee and she invited Bro. Hanks and I. I went to Bible Class this evening.

May 8, 1908 (Friday): (Konigsberg)

Bro’s Hanks, Gowns and I ate dinner with Sister Bewernick this afternoon. I went tracting this evening. Bro. Hyer and I visited a woman that lives in Sackheimer Hinterstr.

May 9, 1908 (Saturday): (Konigsberg)

Bro. Hanks and I spent the forenoon at home writing letters. We prepared our own lunch and this afternoon we went to elders meeting at Bojahr’s. We spent the evening at Bojahr’s.

May 10, 1908 (Sunday): (Konigsberg)

We went early this morning to teachers meeting which was held at Bojahr’s and then to Sunday School. We remained at the Hall for meeting and this evening Bro. Hanks and I conducted a meeting at Sister Bewernick.

May 11, 1908 (Monday): (Konigsberg)

Bro. Hanks and [I] ate dinner with Sister Lawskowski today. After dinner we help her mangle some clothes. I went tracting this afternoon and this evening I went to Choir practice.

May 12, 1908 (Tuesday): (Konigsberg)

Bro. Hanks and I ate dinner with Sister Wichert. This afternoon I tracted and this evening Bro. Hanks and I visited Sister Gehrke and got supper there.

May 13, 1908 (Wednesday): (Konigsberg)

Bro. Hanks and I prepared our dinner at home today. I went tracting this afternoon and this evening we had Mutual Improvement here at the house. Bros. Hyer, Burdette, Gowns, Hanks and I ate supper with Sister Kowelowski.

May 14, 1908 (Thursday): (Konigsberg, Ponarth)

Bros. Hanks, Gowns and I ate dinner with Bro. Ebeling in Ponarth. This evening I went to Bible Class.

May 15 1908 (Friday): (Konigsberg)

Bro. Hyer came over and ate dinner with Bro. Hanks and I. This afternoon I went tracting and this evening Bro. Hanks and I visited Sister Demke.

May 16, 1908 (Saturday): (Konigsberg)

I spent the day at home writing letters. This evening Bro. Hanks and I went over to Bojahr’s to study with the boys.

May 17, 1908 (Sunday): (Konigsberg)

I went to teachers meeting this morning and from there I went to Sunday School. This afternoon I went to meeting and this evening Bro. Burdette and I went to a cottage meeting at Wickerts.

May 18, 1908 (Monday): (Konigsberg)

This morning Bro’s Emmett and Scoville, who are taking a trip to St. Petersberg, came here to the room. They stopped in Konigsberg to visit us and to see the town. Bro. Hanks and I took them over to Bojahr’s to see the other boys. This evening the boys will stay here with us.

May 19, 1908 (Tuesday): (Konigsberg, Ponarth)

Bro. Hanks and I got our own dinner in the room. This afternoon I tracted and this evening all the boys ate supper at Ebelings’ in Ponarth, after which we held a Priesthood meeting.

May 20, 1908 (Wednesday): (Konigsberg)

Bro. Hanks and I ate dinner with Sister Gronau. I tracted this afternoon, and this evening I went to Mutual Improvement at Bro. Lassaus. We all ate supper with him, that is all the “Boys”.

May 21, 1908 (Thursday): (Konigsberg)

Bro. Hanks and I prepared dinner at home today. This evening I went to Bible Class.

May 22, 1908 (Friday): (Konigsberg)

Bro. Hanks and I took a bath this morning at the Stadische Bad Anstalt. This afternoon we visited Sister Sprie, an old sister who lives in the poor house here and this evening we visited a family of backsliding Saints who live on Viehmarkt.

May 23, 1908 (Saturday): (Konigsberg)

Bro’s Hanks, Gowns and I went out to the Tier Garten this afternoon. This evening we had a Baptismal service. I baptized Sister Lemke and young Bro. Albert Wiechert. I had hardly finished baptizing them when it started to rain like everything.

May 24, 1908 (Sunday): (Konigsberg)

This morning I attended Sunday School teachers meeting as usual and afterwards Sunday School. I was put in Superintendent of the Sunday School here. I attended the afternoon meeting and this evening Bro’s Burdette and Hanks and I attended a cottage meeting at Bro. Jockstien’s.

May 25, 1908 (Monday): (Konigsberg)

Bro. Hyer ate dinner with us today. Spent the evening at home.

May 26, 1908 (Tuesday): (Konigsberg)

Sister Werner prepared milk for us today. I went tracting this afternoon, and this evening Bro. Hanks and I visited Sister Besmer. She prepared supper for us.

May 27, 1908 (Wednesday): (Konigsberg, Ponarth)

Bro. Hanks and I ate dinner with Sister Bojahr. This afternoon we went out to Ponarth to visit Bro. Ebeling. This evening I went to Mutual Improvement.

May 28, 1908 (Thursday): (Konigsberg)

Bro’s Hanks, Gowns, Burdette and I went out in the country to a place called Hienen Berg, where the Sunday School were going for an outing, on account of today being Ascension. We spent the day playing games of different kinds and we did a great deal of running around. All together I had the best time that I’ve had since being in Germany.

May 29, 1908 (Friday): (Konigsberg)

Bro. Hanks and I prepared our own dinner today. This evening I attended a farewell party given by Sisters Anne Gerber and Martha Gehrke.

May 30, 1908 (Saturday): (Konigsberg)

This afternoon Bro’s Burdette, Gowans, Hanks and I went out to the Tier Garten to hear the concert.

May 31, 1908 (Sunday): (Konigsberg, Ponarth)

We held teachers meeting this morning before Sunday School. This afternoon I attended meeting and this evening we with a number of the Saints went out to the “Swan Teich” in Ponarth and sang songs.

June 1, 1908 (Monday): (Konigsberg)

Bro. Hanks and I prepared out own dinner today. I tracted this afternoon. We had a baptism this evening. Bro. Gowans baptized and I confirmed the girl.

June 2, 1908 (Tuesday): (Konigsberg)

Bros. Gowans and Burdette ate dinner with Bro. Hanks and I today. We went to priesthood meeting this evening.

June 3, 1908 (Wednesday): (Konigsberg)

Bro. Hanks and I ate dinner with Sister Gronau today. This afternoon I went tracting. This evening I went to Mutual Improvement.

June 4, 1908 (Thursday): (Konigsberg)

I spent the forenoon at home. Bro. Hanks and I ate dinner at home. This afternoon we went over to Bojahr’s to study the Bible Class lesson. This evening I went to Bible Class and after the class we ate supper with the boys at Bojahr’s.

June 5, 1908 (Friday): (Konigsberg)

Bro. Hanks and I visited the “Bade Anstalt” this morning. We prepared dinner at home. This evening we visited Sister Becker.

June 6, 1908 (Saturday): (Konigsberg)

I spent the morning at home writing letters. This afternoon we went over to Bojahr’s to study the Sunday School lesson with the boys.

June 7, 1908 (Sunday): (Konigsberg, Pillau)

Bro. Hyer and I went out to Pillau early this morning to hold meeting. Sister Gronau and Anne her daughter went out also to visit the “Gemeinde”. This morning we attended Sunday School. After Sunday School we took a walk around seeing some of the country. We went to meeting this afternoon and after meeting we had coffee with Bro. Grassteich. This evening we held another meeting. After the meeting we ate supper with Sister Elsasser. We returned to Konigsberg at 930 p.m.

June 8, 1908 (Monday): (Konigsberg)

Today being Whitsuntide we had another holiday and we all went out to “Heinen Berg” and spent the day in playing games.

June 9, 1908 (Tuesday): (Konigsberg)

Bro. Hanks and I prepared dinner at home today. Bro. Hyer and I visited Sister Gehrke this evening.

June 10, 1908 (Wednesday): (Konigsberg)

Bro. Hanks and I prepared dinner at home today. I went tracting this afternoon. This evening I went to Mutual Improvement at Bojahr’s

June 11, 1908 (Thursday): (Konigsberg)

Bro. Hanks and I ate dinner at Sister Bojahr’s. This evening we prepared supper at home. I attended Bible Class this evening and gave the lesson.

June 12, 1908 (Friday): (Konigsberg)

Bro. Hanks and I visited the volks Bad this morning. We prepared dinner at home. This afternoon I went tracting. This evening I stayed home.

June 13, 1908 (Saturday): (Konigsberg)

I spent the morning writing letters. This afternoon Bro’s. Burdette, Gowns & Hanks and I went boat riding on the Schloss Teich and this evening we studied the Sunday School lesson.

June 14, 1908 (Sunday): (Konigsberg, Ponarth)

We held teachers meeting this morning and right shortly after I went to Sunday school. This afternoon I went to meeting. This evening the gemeinde went out to the Schwan Teich in Ponath and spent the time singing.

June 15, 1908 (Monday): (Konigsberg)

Bro. John H. Buhler arrived from Danzig today and was assigned to live with Bro. Hanks and me for a short time. Bro. Hanks and I tried to make a visit this evening but were unable to find the person we wanted.

June 16, 1908 (Tuesday): (Konigsberg)

Bro’s. Hanks and Buhler and I prepared dinner at home today. I went tracting this afternoon. This evening I went to priesthood meeting.

June 17, 1908 (Wednesday): (Konigsberg, Juditen)

Bro. Hanks and I ate dinner with Bro. Nitsch. This afternoon Bro. Buehler and I went out to Juditen to visit Sister Blank who is in a hospital there. This evening I went to Mutual Improvement.

June 18, 1908 (Thursday): (Konigsberg)

Bro’s. Hanks and Buehler prepared dinner at home. I went tracting this afternoon. This evening I went to Bible Class.

June 19, 1908 (Friday): (Konigsberg)

We studied this forenoon. This afternoon Bro. Buhler [this is all that was written for this date]

June 20, 1908 (Saturday): (Konigsberg)

Bro. Hyer returned from Danzig this morning and we all went to see a big fire drill which they had to show the mayors of the various cities in East Prussia. Their fire equipment is rather inferior and they do things so slow that they could hardly keep a fire from spreading much less put one out. This eveing Bro’s Gowans, Burdette and Buehler and I hired boats and took a row on the Schloss Teich.

June 21, 1908 (Sunday): (Konigsberg, Pillau)

I went to the Depot intending to catch a train for Pillau, but was about half a minute to late. Having until 1259 p.m. to wait another train I walked around visiting some of the things I had not already seen. Noticing a ship in the river with a British flag on it, I went over to see if I could find anyone who could speak english with the result that I had quite a talk with two men. I caught the train at 1259 p.m. and got to Pillau in time to hold meeting at 230 p.m. I had coffee with old Bro. and Sister Grassteit. After holding meeting this evening I ate supper with Sister Elsasser. I will stay at Sister Elsasser’s nights while I am in Pillau.

June 22, 1908 (Monday): (Pillau)

I spent the forenoon at Sister Elsasser’s. I ate dinner with Bro. and Sister Michaelis and spent part of the afternoon there. Needing a blank book I went to Pillau and bought one and returned to Michaelis’ for supper.

June 23, 1908 (Tuesday): (Pillau)

This morning sister Tiel’s daughter called for me and I went and spent most of the day with Tiel’s, I ate dinner and supper and drank coffee there and this afternoon I visited the younger family Grassteit.

June 24, 1908 (Wednesday): (Pillau)

I spent the morning at Sister Elsasser’s, studying. I ate dinner with old family Grassteit. After dinner Bro. Malzkuhn, Sister Grassteit and I walked to Neuhauser, as the Baptists were holding an excursion to that place. Two ministers spoke quite interestingly of some of their experiences, one of a trip to London which he took with the international ministers congress, and the other of some of his experiences as a missionary in Kammerune [Cameroon] in German West Africa. After hearing the talks we walked back to Pillau along the Strand. I ate supper with Grassteits’. This evening we should have held Bible Class, but no one came.

June 25, 1908 (Thursday): (Pillau)

I spent the morning at Sister Elsasser’s studying and ate dinner, coffee and supper at Bro. Tuchel’s. I spent the afternoon reading and watching the soldiers at target practice.

June 26, 1908 (Friday): (Pillau)

I remained at Sister Elsasser’s studying this morning. At noon I went to dinner at younger Bro. and Sister Grassteits’. This afternoon Bro. Malzkuhn called for me and we went bathing in the sea. I ate supper at Grassteits’.

June 27, 1908 (Saturday): (Pillau, Lockstadt)

I read until dinner time and ate dinner with Sister Elsasser. This afternoon Bro. Grassteit and I went to Lockstadt, a place about five miles from Pillau, to visit a friend. We had quite an interesting conversation with her. We got back about 830 p.m. and ate supper with Sister Elsasser.

June 28, 1908 (Sunday): (Pillau, Konigsberg)

After attending teachers’ meeting I went to Sunday School. I went to meeting this afternoon and after went to Grassteits’ for dinner. This afternoon Bro. Malzkuhn, Sister Grassteit and I took a walk on the strand and out to the Norder Mohle. I returned to Konigsberg this evening.

June 29, 1908 (Monday): (Konigsberg)

Bro. Buehler and I went over to Bojahr’s so I could get my hair cut by Bro. Hyer. He cut my hair and in doing so took a little to much hair off with the clippers so I had him clip as close as he could with the clippers and all the other boys, namely Bros. Hyer, Gowans, Burdette and Hanks had the same. This afternoon Bro. Hyer and I visited Sister Gehrke. I spent the evening at home.

June 30, 1908 (Tuesday): (Konigsberg)

Bros. Hyer, Burdette and Gowans came over this morning and we held a priesthood meeting and enjoyed a very good spirit. We all ate dinner here at the house. This afternoon we had out pictures taken and later went tracting. I spent the evening at home.

July 1, 1908 (Wednesday): (Konigsberg, Udiffen)

This morning we all went out to Udiffen with the Sunday School and had quite a pleasant time. This evening on our way home we stoped to see the “Jahrmarkt”.

July 2, 1908 (Thursday): (Konigsberg)

This afternoon Bro. Burdette and I visited Sisters Gehrke and Demke after which we got the Bible lesson and then went to Bible class.

July 3, 1908 (Friday): (Konigsberg, Ponarth)

Bro’s. Hanks and Buehler and I went out to Ebelings’, in Ponarth for dinner. This afternoon Bro. Burdette and I visited Sister Marquart.

July 4, 1908 (Saturday): (Konigsberg, Cranz)

Bros. Burdette, Gowans and Moser* and I went out to Cranz this morning to spend the day. The weather was quite cold but we spent the forenoon walking around on the beach. After dinner while on the beach Bro. Gowans were playing back out and he went a long way out on a stone pier and couldn’t get back in time and a great big wave washed over the pier and he “lost his head” to a certain extent and started to run for shore and stumbled on the rocks and got very near wet over. Bros. Moser and Gowans then went bathing to wait for Gowans’ clothes to get dry. We all returned to Konigsberg in time to go to the Apollo Theater where we saw the show “Die Schoene Clio”. After the play we ate supper at the CafĂ© Royal.

*Moser took Ed’s place in Tilsit. Elder Hanks may have traded him places and spent time with Elder Babbel in Tilsit.

July 5, 1908 (Sunday): (Konigsberg)

We held Teacher’s meeting this morning before Sunday School and we held a review in Sunday School for the last quarter year. I went to fast meeting this afternoon and held a cottage meeting at Bojahrs’ this evening.

July 6, 1908 (Monday): (Konigsberg)

I remained home this morning. I went tracting this afternoon. I remained home this evening.

July 7, 1908 (Tuesday): (Konigsberg)

Bro. Burdette and I ate dinner at Jocksteins’ today. The meal consisted of salt herring and potatoes. This afternoon we visited Sisters Marquart and Gehrke. I went to priesthood meeting this evening.

July 8, 1908 (Wednesday): (Konigsberg, Tilsit)

Bro. Burdette and I went to visit a doctor today as he was troubled with a breaking out on his skin. This afternoon I left for Tilsit in company with Sister Marquart and Sister Babbel* met us at the depot. This evening Bro. Moser and I visited Sister Form.

*Elder Hermann Babbel’s wife, Ed’s former companion in Tilsit.

July 9, 1908 (Thursday): (Tilsit)

This afternoon the Sunday School took an excursion out to Sancuci and we had a fine time together. This evening I visited Webers’.

July 10, 1908 (Friday): (Tilsit)

This morning Sister Marquart and I took a walk around to see the Louisen bridge. This afternoon I visited Fraulein Walka and had quite a conversation with her.

July 11, 1908 (Saturday): (Tilsit)

Bro. Moser and I remained at home this forenoon and evening. This afternoon we went walking.

July 12, 1908 (Sunday): (Tilsit, Memel)

I visited Sister Onusseit for a while this morning. This afternoon I went to meeting after which Bro. Babbel, Sister Marquart and I went to Memel where Bro. Babbel held meeting. I will stay with Bro. Klingler tonight.

July 13, 1908 (Monday): (Memel, Schwarz Ort)

Bros. Babbel and Klingler, Sister Marquart and I went out to Schwarz Ort today where we visited Sister Schutz. We had a very pleasant time out there and returned to Memel at 10 p.m. The return trip over the Haff was very pleasant.

July 14, 1908 (Tuesday): (Memel, Konigsberg)

I left Memel for Konigsberg this morning at 6 a.m. on the steamboat Cranz. The journey over the Kuerishes Haff to Cranz was very novel and interesting. From Cranz I came to Konigsberg by train arriving here at 105 p.m. Upon reaching Bojahrs’ where I first went, Sister Agusta Bojahr told me that Bro. Burdette had been drowned. The news was so shocking that for two or three minutes I hardly new where I was. I asked if the news had been telegraphed to Pres. Ballif and upon hearing that it hadn’t sat down and wrote a message. While so occupied Bros. Hanks, Bant and Cremer returned from where they had been swimming in the Oberteich and said that Burdette was drowned at 12 N. and that the body had been found. Bros. Gowans and Buehler, who were also swimming when he went under but who upon seeing that they could assist in no way, left the place (which was great wisdom on their part) in order to see if I had returned from Memel, but not finding me at Unter Haberberg returned to Bojahrs’, getting there two or three minutes after the other boys. Finding that no one had telegraphed, I with Bro. Cremer took a message to the post office and sent it to Pres. Ballif. At three o’clock Bros. Hanks and Band and I visited the American Consul and through his advice visited the Tragheimer district police office in Mittel Tragheim Str. The police commissariant treated us very well and gave orders that the body should be taken to the Leichenschau Haus in Inter Laak Str. He sent a policeman with us in order that we could get some of Bro. Burdette’s things. We arrived at the Leichenschau Haus at the same time as the body did. We got the clothes and returned home. This evening Bro. Pieserwatski came from Elbing and he, Bro. Hanks and I stayed at Bojahrs’.

July 15 to 17, 1908 (Wednesday to Friday): (Konigsberg)

Bros. Hanks, Baut and Pieserwatski and I went to the main police office in Junker Str. this morning and there were two other witnesses to the drowning there and it looked from what these men said, as if Bros. Bant and Hanks had tried to drown Burdette. The reason of this was that first the Bathing Co. wanted to shield themselves through placing the blame on someone else, and second the by standers did not see what was going on until Burdette had gone under once. How it came about (from what Bro. Hanks told me) was Bro. Hanks swam out to a big log, which was chained, as not to float away in water about seven feet deep, and Bro. Burdette, who was able to swim but very little, followed him to the log. Bro. Bant then swam to the log and all three of them got upon it. While sitting there the log turned and Burdette went under and must have swallowed considerable water as when he came up he called for help and Bro. Bant and Hanks grabbed him and he threw his arms around them and all three went under. It was at this point, I believe that some of the bystanders first noticed that any thing was wrong and what they saw evidently gave them the idea that Hanks and Bant were trying to duck him.

Bro. Hanks and Bant with much difficulty got loose from his grasp and he went under again and they, although much weakened by exertion dived after him but their strength was to much spent to do any good and they with some difficulty got out themselves. After deciding that the drowning was accidental the officials started questioning Bro. Hanks and I as to who we were and although we tried to conceal our identity as missionaries they judged us as being such and banished us from the Kingdom of Prussia. They were led to this conclusion, that we were “Mormon Missionaries” from finding a ministers certificate, from the church – as most missionaries have among his papers. As soon as Bro. Hanks and I found we were to leave country, we saw that it would be very unwise for any of the boys in Konigsberg to expose themselves to the police by helping get the necessary papers and preparing the body for shipment so we warned them to that effect and then, of necessity, all this work rested on us. Bro. Pieserwatski, being a German citizen, help us a great deal in this work also. We spent all Wednesday, Thursday and Friday in visiting police officials, doctors and other people in order to get the necessary papers for the removal of the body to America and in procuring a coffin and preparing the body for shipment. Wednesday noon I received a dispatch from Pres. Ballif stating that Bro. Hyer, who was in Zurich, would come with burial clothes and that we were to prepare to ship the body.

Wednesday night we held mutual improvement at Sister Gehrke’s and the time was taken up by the missionaries who were present.

Thursday we succeeded in getting permission to dress the body. Bro. Hyer arrived and we went out to Ponarth and selected a coffin and made arrangements with Bro. Ebling to make the zink lining and to seal the zink lid on as soon as the body was placed inside.

I dreamed a great deal Thursday night and the dreams were none of the pleasantest and when I got up Friday morning I was about as tired as when I went to bed. This all resulted from the dread I had of the labor before me, that of dressing the body. I have always had a dread of dead people but as soon as I started to work helping to dress Bro. Burdette’s body this fear left me and I felt all right.

By Friday noon we had all the necessary papers from the different authorities and shortly after noon Bro. Ebeling arrived and we laid the body in the coffin and he sealed it up. A policeman was present to see that all was properly sealed and with the paper which he gave us we were able to get a pass to ship the body on the railroad.

July 18, 1908 (Saturday): (Konigsberg, train to Berlin)

This morning Bro. Ebeling brought a wagon from Ponarth and we loaded the coffin on to it and took it to the depot where there was a car ordered to take it to Bremer Haffen. The coffin itself being very heavy and then being placed in a heavy box made it so heavy that ten men had about all they could do to move it. I left Konigsberg on the same train as the body to accompany it as far as Berlin. I left at 1201 p.m.

July 19, 1908 (Sunday): (Berlin)

I arrived in Berlin this morning at the Schlesener Banhof at 455 a.m. and expected to meet Bro. Rich, as I telegraphed him yesterday when I would be there, but I could not find him so I caught a tram and rode to the Alexander Platz and having only 25 minutes to wait there I took an automobile and rode up to Landsberger Str. 32 to see if I could find Rich, as I thought it probable that he had not received my message, but the door was locked and I had to go back. I started to wright a note, which I intended to send by some messenger to him telling him to catch the 1st train for Bremerhafen when Bro. Reynolds came up to me and told me that he and Brother Rich had been looking all over for me. I motioned to Bro. Rich who was standing on another “Bahnsteig” that we would have to catch the train that was coming to go to Spandau, but he couldn’t make it in time so I told Bro. Reynolds to tell him to catch the first train for Spandau as someone had to go on the same train that the body went on and if he wasn’t in Spandau in time I would have to go on to Bremen. I waited in Spandau and Bro. Rich arrived a few minutes later. As he had left his hand grips at home we tried to get the railroad authorities to let him stay over a train, but they wouldn’t allow it as someone had to go right along on the same train as the corpse so Bro. Rich went and we sent his things to him care of his ship at Bremerhafen. I with Bro. Arnold ate dinner with one of the Berliner saints and this afternoon in meeting I had the privilege of speaking. I attended meeting this evening and will stay with Bro. Arnold here at the hall.

July 20, 1908 (Monday): (Berlin)

I spent the day at the room writing. Bro. Arnold and I ate dinner in a vegitairian restaurant. This morning I got a letter assigning me to the Leipzig Conference.*

*Leipzig is part of the Kingdom of Saxony, part of the German Empire, but not part of the Kingdom of Prussia.

July 21, 1908 (Tuesday): (Berlin, Leipzig)

Bro. Hanks arrived from Konigsberg this morning and we went out to the Tier Garten. I left for Leipzig at 115 p.m. and arrived here at 615 p.m. I will stay with Bro. Beardshall* this evening.

*President of the Leipzig Conference, modern equivalent of a zone leader. This may be David H. Beardshall who Ed met on September 17, 1907 in the mission office in Zurich when he first arrived and who appears to have been an assistant to Pres. Ballif at that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment