I saw my first chipping sparrow at Letchworth State Park in western New York State on June 27, 2021. Judy and I were with our son, Andrew, and his girlfriend, Lauren, and it was on the edge of a parking lot while we were near the "Grand Canyon of the East."
 |
| It is a breeding adult with a rusty crown, an unstreaked gray belly and black eyeline. |
 |
| This non-breeding chipping sparrow was seen in Shawnee Mission, Kansas on November 1, 2024 while I was accompanying Judy to a conference in Kansas City, Missouri. Note the more subdued color on the head. |
 |
| Given its range, particularly in California, I'm surprised I've not seen more of them. The answer might be that they mainly breed in coniferous forests in the west. |
 |
| Illustration from Birds of the World. |
No comments:
Post a Comment