Sunday, October 2, 2022

Rose-Breasted Grosbeak

I was at Big Morongo Preserve yesterday for an hour or so, before meeting Judy at Whitewater Rock. I stood near the bird feeders most of the time hoping to see a new bird for my bird list. Amazingly I did. 

There were some grosbeaks mostly sitting in seed feeders that I assume were black-headed grosbeaks which I have seen there before. Then a group of fairly young men arrived arrived and were watching and proclaimed that several of them were rose-breasted grosbeaks. They noted red under the wing and some red streaks on the breast. 




As I came home and looked it up I was surprised to see how far out of their normal territory they were. About the closest they normally get is New Mexico, Colorado and Wyoming. 
Range map for rose-breasted grosbeak (Wikipedia). 
The male does not look anything like a female. It has a black head and back and white underparts with a big red splotch in the middle. The female looks amazingly like a black-headed grosbeak female. 



As I read about them I begin to wonder if I may have seen hybrids between the rose-breasted and black-headed grosbeak.  

1 comment:

  1. The red under the flapping wings is so dramatic! Congratulations on adding another beautiful bird to your list.

    ReplyDelete