Monday, April 8, 2019

Gray-Headed Fish Eagle

We saw one gray-headed fish eagle in Bundala National Park in southern Sri Lanka. It was up in a tree surrounded by branches, so we didn't get a good look at it (or good photos). But I was struck by how many different variations of eagle there are in Sri Lanka. In the U.S. we have two, the bald eagle and the golden eagle. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen either and I've been in lots of national parks. In Sri Lanka we saw at least four kinds in a week, with multiples for several of them. The diversity is fascinating.
This photo is from Wikipedia, so you can see what they really look like. 
Here is one of my photos. It is a view from its back.
The gray-headed fish eagle is widely distributed through India and southeast Asia, although uncommon. Adults are gray/brown with a pale gray head and pale iris. The breast and neck are brown with the wings on top a darker brown and blacker primaries. The belly and the tail are white with a broad black band across the end of the tail. It is listed as near-threatened on the IUCN Red List. 
A cropped view.
Another cropped view.

1 comment:

  1. I was also thinking about how many more colorful birds they have than we do. I would guess that is a function of the tropical landscape they live in. The bird diversity is wonderful in Sri Lanka.

    ReplyDelete