Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Green Bee-Eater

The green bee-eater is found in Sub-Saharan Africa, and western Arabia and Asia, through India to Vietnam. It is green overall with a green-blue throat and a thin black throat band. Some subspecies have a rusty crown or a bright blue throat. 
This green bee-eater was found in Udawalawe NP and looks like the subspecies ceylonicus given the golden brown sheen on the head. 
The same bird from a different angle. 
I found this photo later, taken in Yala NP with my point and shoot. It was right next to our vehicle. 
A different photo of the same bird.
In Sri Lanka, the subspecies Merops orientalis orientalis has a head and neck tinged with rufus, while the suspecies M.o. ceylonicus has a nape and hind neck with more pronounced golden brown sheen.
Also found in Udawalawe NP, this green bee-eater has a darker red head
We saw lots of bee-eaters and one of my regrets is that I did not insist on stopping for more photos of them. I find great variety in their appearance and wish for more and better photos.  
This green bee-eater was found in Yala NP. 

1 comment:

  1. These are one of my favorites. Besides their gorgeous jewel-tones, I love those two long feathers on their tail that look a little like a stinger on a bee.

    ReplyDelete