Monday, July 16, 2018

South African Ostrich

The South African ostrich is a subspecies of the common ostrich, and is also known as the black-necked ostrich and southern ostrich. It is found in South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Angola, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. I've previously blogged on the Masai ostrich, also known as the East African ostrich or pink-necked ostrich. 
Our best view of an ostrich was near the Cape of Good Hope in South Africa. We were driving along just a few miles from the end of the Cape when I spotted ostriches off the side of the road near the ocean. I asked the guide to stop and, with his permission, I walked over a little hill to view them, as they'd gone beyond our view. I got some wonderful photos with the ostriches and the backdrop of the ocean. 



Our first late afternoon in Etosha NP in Nambia we drove out to Okondeka waterhole on the edge of the huge pan. There we saw several ostriches, from quite a distance, along with some vultures, a zebra, a giraffe and some jackals.
An ostrich on the pan in Etosha NP. 
In Hwange NP in Zimbabwe we also saw a group of ostriches from quite a distance.
Ostrich in Hwange NP.

1 comment:

  1. The ostriches on the beach really surprised me. I always picture them in dry climates with tall grasses, as shown in your other photos.

    ReplyDelete